Does anyone use an escrow service or similar for holiday rentals?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

When booking your holiday with Thomsons, Airtours or the like, you have protection against the company going bust via ABTA . With the ever increasing use of the internet for private rentals, how do you show potential customers that their money is safe once paid? I was wondering if some sort of escrow service could be used, or is there some sort of insurance you can get?

How do other people work this?

Mark

Like 0      
19 Aug 2007 1:29 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

More than anything else and in order to avoid all the most commun problems when renting in Spain, I would encourage you to submitt the contract to arbitration: as some of the many advantages of that:

1.   Faster: Conflicts are solved in a maximum period of 6 months.

2.  Cheaper: than judicial litigation..

3.  Eficcient in conflict resolution.

4.  Experts and professionals are in charge of the solution of the conflict.

5. Avoidance of future litigations.

Regarding insurances, a home insurance usually cover civil liabilities and damages on third parties.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Aug 2007 10:50 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I have still been thinking about ways to protect a customer's money and I think insurance backed guarantees will be too expensive and we are much too small to be ABTA bonded .

I did find a site called rentalsystems.com which is free to advertise on, offers you the obligatory calendar and potential for bookings through their sister company, but also payment processing which is cheaper than Paypal, which was one of the options I was going to use!! When the money is paid, it is paid to a clients account and held there in case of any problem, rather than being paid straight to us and the opportunity of a moonlight flit . They also positively encourage you to include their booking system on your webpages, something that other sites won't let you do. The only problem I can see with it is that payment is not made to us until the day after departure. I would rather it was banked in my account somewhere rather than earning interest for them.

Has anyone else used tis site please? Good or bad comments needed to evaluate.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What else do we need for renting? - 11 posts
Shops and a Restaurant ??? - 0 posts
Viva estates watch - 11 posts
Long term Rental Cabopino to Elviria Desperatley needed - 1 posts
Which air-conditioning do you recommend? - 9 posts
Why the star system - 2 posts
BEACH RECOMMENDATION - CDS - 14 posts
POWER OF ATTORNEY - 12 posts
Ambasun - 23 posts
Help! How can i help pensioner with country house deed problem? - 0 posts
LOST THE THREAD - 2 posts
Auriga Crown - 53 posts
Ozzie - 0 posts
Exchange Chinese for free home-stay - 1 posts
Pool company warning!!! - 1 posts
Cookware shops - 7 posts
Almeria Airport - 2 posts
Arranging your Mortgage - 8 posts
mike/karalyn - 1 posts
Problems purchasing property in Spain - 2 posts
Bought on El Rocio fase 2 - 7 posts
Susie - need help having electric and gas nightmare. - 8 posts
Vicki Sheppard - 3 posts
2 beds Apartment Calanova grand golf Mijas (Costa del Sol) 190.000 Euros - 1 posts
Do you phone abroad? Don't waste cash; do it for free or for pennies! - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x