Estate Agents

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jul 2014 12:42 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

There seems to be a lot of bad press regarding estate agents

Is there an opportunity for a new one who is honest, transparent, provide good service - regular updates, accurate information, reduced rates etc.

When looking for property or choosing an estate agent (UK or Spain) I look at he following to make my choice

1. Rates - UK is between 1 & 3% Spain is 3% plus???

2. Quality of website

3. Quality of brochure

4. Response times / updates

5. Advertising

For items 2 & 3 above property brochures should include the following as a minimum

a) Address - allowing buyers to drive by and take a look at the outside and get a feel for the area before they arrange a viewing or look on internet maps. Address should also be on website / newsapaper advert

b) Layout of property showing sizes, floor plans etc

c) Detailed photos / videos

d) Price

e) Typical utility bills / rates / community fees etc

f) Detailed data on local amenities (schools, town halls, shops, beaches etc)

g) Any potential faults (minor and major)

h) What is included (fixtures and fittings)

Many estate agents especially in Spain really do lack this information and when you think many buyers are travelling from different countries a lot of time is wasted.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2014 4:54 PM by bajamisdeudas Star rating in 2014 GRAND AVE BALDW.... 13 posts Send private message

As a real agent myself regardless of the reputation of other people about us, we don't care as we provide smiles and dreams for people who want a home.

Like 0      
19 Jan 2017 11:38 AM by TimMHI Star rating in San Javier. 9 posts Send private message

TimMHI´s avatar

Incorrect forum. Sorry.

This message was last edited by TimMHI on 19/01/2017.

Like 0      
23 Apr 2018 9:17 PM by jonnysnow Star rating in Now I moved to USA.. 6 posts Send private message

It is always better to work through the company with international experience and the one that has good reviews.

Like 0      
24 Apr 2018 8:59 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

For me "international experience" means nothing ; "good reviews" are easily falsified.

The key is not to be influenced by the stream of superlatives you are likely to receive and make your own decisions which are based purely on your well researched facts.  Also never allow yourself to be pressurised, or put down deposits prematurely.

In Spain there is little in the way of regulation, so additional caution is needed.  Some of the fee practices would be deemed fraudulent in the UK.  Never has "caveat emptor" been more true than when buying in Spain.  Trust no-one, with or without international experience.

But currently there are some fabulous properties to be bought at great prices.  But take your time.

This message was last edited by acer on 24/04/2018.

Like 2      
24 Apr 2018 9:50 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

It seems to me that when it comes to buying/selling property, Spain is still operating in the dark ages. Why pay an estate agent 10% commission. All you need is a website listing and possibly a ‘’for sale’’ board. Once you have a buyer/seller agreement just pass it over to the lawyers.

This is the way the UK is going, all internet driven, soon there will not be a high street estate agent.

Like 0      
24 Apr 2018 10:49 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

This thread is from 2014.   Who found it Doctor who?

Best wishes, Brian

Like 1      
24 Apr 2018 12:56 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Most of the better articles/discussions were a few years ago - "the Coming Credit Crunch" written in 2007 was absolutely surperb, so well informed.  A lot of the other better contributors eg Ads, Johnzx seem to be dropping out too. 

For me there's far too much tolerance of the chavvy stuff.

Like 0      
24 Apr 2018 3:39 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

How do you come across these old threads acer?     Once they are gone from view it’s not like you can stumble across them is it?

Also, what does CHAV stand for as an anacronym and can't estate agents be chavs as well?

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
25 Apr 2018 10:02 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

** EDITED **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 4/26/2018 1:18:00 PM.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2018 10:56 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

It's was Tadd 1966,  not Tadd66, and as far as I am aware after speaking with him,  he left, wasn't banned, sure his posts got removed quite a bit because he picked up on many false posts and outright rubbish from another poster and it would seem the forum didn't like this.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2018 11:37 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Ok John.   But it looks like a johnsnow came across it.   Maybe an old member but it just seemed strange because I don’t come across posts that old.  

What does chav stand for tho 

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
25 Apr 2018 12:22 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Hi Briando53 - the one mentioned "The Coming Credit Crunch" was read every day, I recall the name very well I looked out for it.  I haven't looked at it for many years - it was simply memorable, hence my comment, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

But I recently read Michael Lewis "The Big Short" kindly recommended by an EOS contributor which was on a similar line and good, but not so easy to digest as the EOS thread.

When I have a mo I'll track down "The Coming Credit Crunch" and bring it to life.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Estate Agents claims - Paramount. - 16 posts
energy certificate - 0 posts
www.venderdirect.com - did you use them to sell property? - 0 posts
Estepona's New Bus Station on Avenida del Litoral - 1 posts
Road work speed limit signs - 1 posts
Fridge Removal :to repair or waste. - 0 posts
Petition asking for compensation for buyers under threat of demolition - 6 posts
abbygate lnssurance - 4 posts
Recommended Holiday Villas on Costa Del Sol? - 3 posts
Hello all - 0 posts
Zurich insurance - 6 posts
Wrought Iron gate wanted to keep dogs in! - 2 posts
police pension tax. - 12 posts
SPANISH CAR FOR SALE - 0 posts
Moving to Spain - 13 posts
Unpaid community fees at AGM - 13 posts
Going through the courts to get deposit back from developer - 4 posts
Bottle Fridge - 0 posts
Confused.com devious, or just plain ignorant? - 24 posts
Ship a car to Murcia - 16 posts
information - 9 posts
Claiming against Banks - 9 posts
Fancy buying a bar anyone ? - 5 posts
Taking Cat inside plane, to UK from Spain - 6 posts
Estate recommendation Playa Flamenca /Torreviejca area - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x