driving a UK reg car in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Nov 2013 11:21 AM by panda31 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

I have read many forum threads and the many differing opinions from various pubs along the Costa’s and all this talk of driving a car in Spain for six months ONLY applies to tourist / visitors, anyone who is resident in ANY WAY or stays more than 6 months as a visitor does NOT have this option, and it’s easy for them to check if you work here, live here,  bank here, have property owned or rented here or if your kids school here. etc.

Some years ago one could have your 'none Spanish' car sealed by the Guardia as many times as you wanted, as long as you didn't drive it more than 180 days in any calendar year, then they dropped the sealing bit but the 180 days remained and  was related to the time the owner spent in Spain, not the car, but a couple of years ago this six months was reduced to 3 months and now there is ZERO time to drive on 'none Spanish' plates.

You have to transfer your cars registration to Spanish as soon as you get to your destination; you cannot continue to drive around on UK plates unless it is already in ‘due process’ as in Cita Previa for an ITV etc.

We all know clever Dicks with UK, German, French, etc cars with no tax disc and no test certificate and so no insurance, probably with some strange none UK insurance and an ITV (none valid) or they have ‘bought’ a package, (tax from Stockport anyone?)  but that is their problem and the loss of vehicle when caught.. Also anyone thinking that they can do so (I’m not in the UK so why bother, syndrome) is very wrong. ALL vehicles in Europe “MUST be road legal in the country of registration”, that’s the law. Also an ITV is NOT valid for foreign cars other than part of the changeover process and insurance must be by a British company not a Spanish one.

It is now easy for the police and Guardia to check a none Spanish car as the UK police do, they use much the same system which now has international search options. Anyone can go on-line to the DVLA with reg number and make and get a current status report on any car.  Having your car SORN in the UK is still SORN in Spain. (That’s you too Mr. Silver BMW 325 sitting outside my urbanisation).

All the talk of twisting and turning to avoid paying for extra cover or being on the road on the cheap or illegally is wrong and potentially asking for a huge fine and confiscation of the car, (Oh yes they do) and heaven help you if your involved in an accident!.

Like 2      
21 Nov 2013 3:31 PM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

Now I'm really confused!!
I have a property in spain which I vidit for 5 days at a time on average once a month or so. I am hoping to go over again in February next year for 3 weeks in my uk reg car because we can take the dogs. It will have full insurance and tgey will be informed so I can obtain a green card and I will have full breakdown cover from the AA. Panda are you saying because I have a house in spain I cant take my uk car on holiday?

Like 0      
21 Nov 2013 3:40 PM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

I am sure that that is not the case. Spain would damage their already fragile economy even more by putting a stop to you using your car whils here on Holiday. I note that is not quoted from anywhere and just the authors opinion. EU ruling is 6 months. If this is the case then Spain appears to be riding rough shod over any EU rules of late. All in a bid to boost their coffers. Taxing the sun anyone?

Like 0      
21 Nov 2013 3:47 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

panda31 is referring to those who live permanently in Spain, not visitors.  If you live here, or spend more than 6 months a year here, you must register your UK car and put them on Spanish plates, exactly the same rules as if you were taking a Spanish registered car to UK and for a Spanish citizen bringing any foreign car into Spain.

As casperruby says he (or she) visits, say, a week a month then that would  be a maximum of 84 days so the rules don't apply as he is not a permanent resident.

If you have registered as living in Spain, then you must apply to re-matriculate your car immediately and you then have 30 days in which to complete it.  Just because you have property in Spain doesn't mean you have to do this unless you are going to live here on a permanent (ie, more than 6 months a year).

And, yes, there are loads (of all nationalities) who continue to drive on UK, German or whatever plates. Just hope you don't have an accident with one of them.

Like 0      
21 Nov 2013 3:53 PM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

whilst I don't condone any wrong doing, I have my car on Spanish plates! You can get completely legal ex-pat insurance which is based in Spain. Quite a few companies doing it too.

Like 0      
21 Nov 2013 4:24 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

You can get completely legal ex-pat insurance which is based in Spain. Quite a few companies doing it too.

And those companies do not require the vehicle to have an MOT,  but it must of course be road worthy.

Like 0      
21 Nov 2013 4:30 PM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

Well that's slightly open to interpretation! define Roadworthy! I find the ITV in some aspects less stringent than the UK MOT but then ridiculous over silly things such as whether your tinted windows are "homologated" I had a case of this where it was failed for this. Went and paid 30 euros for a sticker and it was passed.

We have ways of extracting money from you here in so many ways. Many in a nonsensical way!

Like 0      
21 Nov 2013 4:46 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Well that's slightly open to interpretation! define Roadworthy

We have been over this several times in posts but if you image, as maybe an extreme example, a car leaves the ITV  centre having passed, and drives over a broken bottle cutting the tyre wall.  It’s then unroadworthy.

Like 0      
21 Nov 2013 5:02 PM by panda31 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

There will always be some people who, no matter what the law is, will try to be a smart arse and find a way around it or convince themselves what they are doing is OK because others do it. Let them get on with it I say and let them pay the fines /have to buy a new car etc. I will not be amoungst them. They have been told. I maintain three cars and an Ex UK reg bike and a UK Q reg kit car yet to be changed (and that's going to be a bloody nightnmare as there is only one other registered in Spain) and IF there was a way out I would look at it, seriously, but I know there isn't.

Like 0      
21 Nov 2013 7:13 PM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

Good luck with the Kit car importing! I heard that sort of thing is almost impossible here. Shame as Spain needs all the industries it can get right now. It prefers tight regulation and impunitive taxes and taking away peoples civil liberties at the moment. The kit car industry is massive in the UK and therefore moves lots of money as does much of that type of industry.

Like 2      
22 Nov 2013 7:11 AM by Alan63 Star rating in Orihuela. 50 posts Send private message

Alan63´s avatar

I got my car registered by patrick vine. I cost alot less than expected as he advised me too get the lights changed at a breakers yard. Why do so many people take the risk?blush

Like 0      
22 Nov 2013 11:00 PM by wencra Star rating in mollina - malaga. 66 posts Send private message

wencra´s avatar

just a quick question on this, we are looking at moving out jan next year and intend to bring our old car with us, use it for a few months as its taxed and mot'd, we will be buying a property and moving perminantly to spain, now with the time limit as we will be changing transport a few months after we arrive and scrapping the old one, althoough we will be living as such in spain we will only be there and using the car for a short period, how do they cross referance if we are perminant or just on holiday in our holiday home?

Like 0      
24 Nov 2013 1:55 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Wencra:-     we are looking at moving out Jan next year ............................     how do they cross reference if we are permanent or just on holiday in our holiday home?

As you say you will we moving here,  that implies Spain will, from then, be your home.  That being so, you will be tax resident from the moment you arrive.

See Bobaol's post below re driving a UK reg.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2013 8:38 PM by wencra Star rating in mollina - malaga. 66 posts Send private message

wencra´s avatar

johnzx dam thought it might smiley

Like 0      
25 Nov 2013 6:00 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

For Wencra – when you move to Spain a car may be classed as part of your assets of bringing to Spain so you may not have to pay import tax but you will have to get the car transferred to Spanish plates and you will be allowed time to do so (not sure about the 6 month rule being reduced). Check with your solicitor.

One other option is when you get here part ex for a Spanish plate car a few car dealers will do that for you. I assume they transport hem back to the UK and re-sell in UK or offer them as going home cars etc

For all of those who are concerned about drivers driving UK registered cars and especially those with SORN on the vehicle, you can report quite easily on the DVLA website and the owner will be contacted accordingly and possibly prosecuted for false declaration.

If you know of someone who is driving a UK registered car for more than 6 months or whatever the new limit is (maybe they get their MOT & road tax via friends in the UK, or take an annual trip back etc) then again a simple anonymous call to the UK Police or DVLA will get them sorted out. You could use Spanish police but you will need to raise a denuncia but remember anonymity is not allowed when you raise denuncia.

MOT’s/ITV’s are really only prove that the car is road worthy at the time of the test (pedantic I know) but it is the only system each country has. Not having an ITV or a MOT or road tax will not necessarily make your insurance invalid but you could run into difficulties should you have to make a claim and I for one would not like to have that battle. In fact over the years I have been involved in 3 minor claims (only 1 my fault!!) on motor insurances and I have never been asked for proof of a valid MOT or road tax

Finally for those who do not believe in snitching or grassing people up – shame on you but your choice.wink

Like 0      
25 Nov 2013 6:51 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Not having an ITV or a MOT or road tax will not necessarily make your insurance invalid

Some while ago when this came up in a  forum I called three brokers. They all said that in the case of a total loss if the vehicle had an ITV or MOT the insurance company  would pay market value if not then trade value.   I do not know if that universally adopted.

Like 0      
25 Nov 2013 9:48 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Not having an ITV or a MOT or road tax will not necessarily make your insurance invalid

Some while ago when this came up in a  forum I called three brokers. They all said that in the case of a total loss if the vehicle had an ITV or MOT the insurance company  would pay market value if not then trade value.   I do not know if that universally adopted.

Any insurance company here in the UK can and could say in the event of any accident if you don't have a current MOT then you should not have been on the road, so why should we pay out, the MOT is only proof the car was roadworthy at the time of the test, you could smash the wheels and tyres one hour after  leaving the test station and then become unroadworthy yet capable of being driven about. 

The same rule applies with a UK car over road tax, no tax, not insured, should not be driven on the road.

The same rule applies over an unroadworthy car i.e.: bald tyres etc.

I would think Spanish insurance companies could impose the same rule if the insurance company wanted a get out clause to avoid payment of any claim.

As for payments with trade and market value many factors determine this and i wouldn't like to bet on it,  just because my car was written of they would give me enough money to buy the same model at street value.

Like 0      
26 Nov 2013 7:20 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Baz  Any insurance company here in the UK

The clue is in the name :-    "Eye on Spain"  and  "driving a UK reg car in Spain"

This message was last edited by johnzx on 26/11/2013.

Like 0      
26 Nov 2013 8:44 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

company  would pay market value if not then trade value.   I do not know if that universally adopted.

I stand corrected John, when you put "Universally adopted" i understood that to perhaps include the UK within this "Universe" with trying to give some sort of further explanation on the matter, but not to be.

Thats why i did say..."I would think Spanish insurance companies could impose the same rule if the insurance company wanted a get out clause to avoid payment of any claim". 

Like 1      
26 Nov 2013 1:35 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Baz I would think Spanish insurance companies could impose the same rule if the insurance company wanted a get out clause to avoid payment of any claim

Sorry Baz,   this is getting confusing. If you mean imposing the rule of not paying if the vehicle is defective (i.e. 'failing to maintain the vehicle in a roadworthy condition)   that does apply now and to my knowledge has done so for at least 25 years.

Incidentally.  In Spain if  one is stopped (has an accident etc)  and is found to be  ‘over the limit’  that  renders the insurance invalid. In UK that is not so, albeit that the company may choose not to compensate their full comp customers for their damage,  if at fault. And of course subsequent cover and/or premiums would be affected.

In Spain all policies include a payment to the 'Insurance Consortium' which, including other matters, will compensate when a person has a claim against an uninsured person.

For info

The Insurance Compensation Consortium (Consorcio de Compensacion de Seguros – “Consorcio”) has several different functions in the Spanish insurance market and receives contributions in return for:  

covering loss or damage caused by a series of extraordinary natural perils and political risks

acting as insurer of state vehicles and insurer of last resort for consumers unable to obtain obligatory motor cover in the market

acting as the guarantee fund to handle any insurance company insolvencies

acting as the motor guarantee fund to settle claims caused by stolen, unidentified or uninsured vehicles or vehicles insured

in a company that has gone into liquidation or receivership providing trade credit reinsurance support to the insurance market

acting as contingency insurer for nuclear risks taking a share in the insurance and acting as re-insurer  of agricultural risks in addition to assuming certain administrative tasks in that connection.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 26/11/2013.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

FRAUD - SPAM - Private Message - Please do not respond !! - 8 posts
Spain is tightening the belt ! - 0 posts
New Years eve and New years day - 1 posts
ABANDONED HOUSE-IN VALLE DE LOS PINOS-ORIHUELA COSTA/ALICANTE PROVINCE- INFO PLEASE ! - 1 posts
How soon is too soon? - 5 posts
Online shopping - 2 posts
Garage Needed - 0 posts
British expats are too busy to feel homesick- do you agree? - 48 posts
How Nice - 31 posts
Anybody been in this position - 2 posts
ABANDONED HOUSE -VALLE DE LOS PINOS -ORIHUELA/ALICANTE-info-please ! - 0 posts
Price review on ITP tax payment - 1 posts
Gas Heater Servicing - 5 posts
What is the pay like? - 1 posts
Cheapest Airline? - 12 posts
Cost of advertising on this website - 2 posts
New Spanish laws...... - 24 posts
Public Parking in Guaro - 2 posts
Uploading a photo - 4 posts
Spanish/Gib border control not illegal. - 27 posts
CBL Abogados - 0 posts
car hire debit card - 4 posts
13 most wanted criminals living in Spain - 1 posts
DOERS SHE OR DOESN'T SHE - 3 posts
Growl! - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x