car hire debit card

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Nov 2013 4:33 PM by happy2help Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

I dont have a  credit card, but do have a  debit card will the car hire company take that as a deposit.

Like 0      
14 Nov 2013 4:57 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

No. They always insist on a credit card.

You will have to get one if you want to hire a car.

Always make sure your credit limit on the card is no more than a thousand pounds, then if something goes seriously wrong thats the most they could take from your card

Like 0      
18 Nov 2013 9:53 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Some hire companies are getting the message at last! At one point you could only hire a car if you had a credit card  but things are changing slowly.

I have never had a credit card and never wanted one so a few years ago  I had to do a bit of chasing around to find out the ‘rules’ and now certain companies will take debit cards instead of credit. It is also the case that some companies will stipulate credit cards but mean credit or debit.

I recently hired a van from Paquito rent a car in Alicante area that stated ‘credit cards’ on their website, but were quite happy taking my UK debit card.

Some will only take Visa debit as there appears to be some king of guarantee with Visa and a hire company. By far and away the best company is Alamo Car Hire who is worldwide, sensible rates and provides a superb service. I have had many cars from them and never had a bad experience.

The added bonus with Alamo is that the website is user friendly and you can always speak to a contact all of whom are very helpful.

Woodbug

Like 1      
18 Nov 2013 2:53 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Some will only take Visa debit as there appears to be some king of guarantee with Visa and a hire company

Main reason for credit card payment for car hire is that if you didn't bring the car back on time, say a day or two late the hire company can, without authorisation charge your credit card, where as with a debit it is almost impossible to do this.

The hire company cant inform the police that the car hasn't been returned, it cant cancel the car insurance on it, so it charges you these extra's.

Like 1      
27 Nov 2013 7:34 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Have just booked with Europcar and the confirmation email states the following, I wont have my paper licence with me or bank statement/utility  bill.

You need to bring...  

o Your photocard and original paper based driving licence and an original utility bill or bank statement that is less than 3 months old as proof of address
Valid credit or debit card
Deposit

Poppyseed

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

13 most wanted criminals living in Spain - 1 posts
DOERS SHE OR DOESN'T SHE - 3 posts
Growl! - 6 posts
Free Banking In Spain ? - 4 posts
telefonica moviestar router - 3 posts
Anybody driving down to Murcia end of Nov - 0 posts
Spanish Banks through the eye of the WSJ - 0 posts
Questionnaire on Tourist Brochures of the Region of Murcia - 11 posts
New by - 0 posts
Bank repossessions - 11 posts
PayPal and Ebay - 5 posts
Changing from english to spanish car - 6 posts
driving licence - 2 posts
Noah's ARC Christmas E-card is HERE! - 0 posts
Europa Network take unauthorized amounts from my bank - 3 posts
where & when can i buy this? - 1 posts
ECB cuts benchmark rate to 0.25% - 0 posts
New Year in Spain - 2 posts
SQUATTERS AND BARKING DOGS - 1 posts
residency in Spain - 7 posts
Holiday rental properties wanted - 0 posts
Astra 28 degrees east new satellite free to air HD Channel. - 0 posts
Barcelona Notary Question - 4 posts
Reputable builders in san Javier area ,Murcia - 0 posts
Satellite dishes: community / municipality rules - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x