Tribal Price Lists

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Sep 2013 11:40 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Rumour or urban myth has it that the more casual Spanish eateries frequented mostly by Spanish bar-hoppers operate a dual price list. There is one price for locals whilst non-Spanish customers wonder if their bill has been inflated. According to hearsay it is common practice.

I tend to think there is an element of truth in it. My wife and I, and friends too would like to try Spanish life and cuisine more often. However, I wonder if this suspicion is the reason why we non-Spanish are seen as insular in sticking to our own communities. Maybe Spanish eateries would benefit from recognising this concern and their being more transparent.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 2      
15 Sep 2013 2:01 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

That is a really interesting point. Around here eating out is good value and of course there is no problem if you are eating from the menu. A tapa is generally 1e wherever I eat but I have been warned about one really good restaurant in Garrucha which is inclined to vary its prices. Mind you I was told it was a tourist thing and they will up the price for anyone who they think is a tourist I.e. they will hit people from Madrid or Barcelona if they can spot them. Personally I only eat in Spanish bars/restaurants and avoid any Brit or Irish Bars like the plague. I am happy with both the food and the prices and I do like to try new places. At the moment I am hooked on an Argentinian bar in Vera. Good chat with Argentinian owner and excellent tapas. A euro a tapa. For coffee and cake wherever I go I pay between 2 and 3 euros and sometimes I can't resist a panqueque at 3.50. God..... Life is good!!!!

Like 2      
15 Sep 2013 3:50 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

what is a panqueque?

Like 2      
15 Sep 2013 3:56 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar
A pancake or crepe

Like 2      
16 Sep 2013 8:13 AM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Or even a  panqueque in English, is a pancake, or as the French say  a crepe  

Just, sort of,  joking

Like 3      
16 Sep 2013 9:29 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Well, I suspect this hearsay has come from Brits, as always,  and as always its best to find these things out for yourself, of course most places put up a few prices in the peak holiday season, England does the same to its own as well.

As for non-Spanish sticking to their own most Brits feel safe with their own kind and wouldn't dare try anything else even if you offered them a cast iron Guarantee all would be well.

Never yet been to any food place in Spain where double standards have taken place, did go to one here, UK, where they went to charge the American couple next to us a fair bit more, and even tried to rip them of with the change, I saw this and pulled them up over it....Genuine mistake they said...Yeah right.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2013 11:01 AM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

I lived and worked in North Wales and the visiters said the same then about us and I can assure you we all paid the same. At peak times the price did go up for all as with everthing else ,train and plane fares just to name two.

Some people are paranoid and just don't want to enjoy themselves, they look for anything to complain about eg  the Welsh speaking Welsh the Spanish not being able to speak English

i

This message was last edited by haydngj on 16/09/2013.

Like 2      
16 Sep 2013 12:15 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

In the bar which used to be my 'local'  the regulars got the occasional free drink after buying a few rounds. The holidaymakers, including Spaniards,  did not. So yes two levels.

In a bar where I regularly take coffee,  I pay 1 euro, the price shown is 1.20, which I guess is what non-regulars customers pay.

I don’t think the tourists are getting ripped off,  it’s that we are getting an acknowledgement of our regular custom.

Like 1      
16 Sep 2013 1:26 PM by randolph Star rating. 167 posts Send private message

We used to live in a tourist town in the Lake District. Many of the shops issued locals with cards which gave them 10% discount. It was a well known practice and never questioned. 

Like 1      
16 Sep 2013 2:36 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I was charged 2.80 for 200mls of diet coke, while on a trip;normally the charge would be 1-1.50!

Like 1      
16 Sep 2013 9:24 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

A panqueque is specifically an Argentinean pancake. It is usually served with dulce de leche and (and this is the delicious part) topped with caramelised sugar.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Recession or Incompetence - 0 posts
online shopping - 0 posts
S1 Early Retiree - loophole maybe - 5 posts
RENEWING PADRON - 6 posts
Quimbombo - 11 posts
EOS SITE UPDATES - 5 posts
Long term apartment rental Rojales - 0 posts
Changing Endesa Direct Debit Details - 6 posts
very confused about future tv - 5 posts
A relaxing cup of café con leche! - Olympic Spanglish - 2 posts
Glass curtain enclosures - Vera area - 2 posts
Buying prescription Glasses online - 7 posts
Angela Merkel: saviour or tormentor? Spain wants her out... - 0 posts
UN happiness survey published - Spain is pretty unhappy - 1 posts
Electronic Cigarettes Airline Sales.. should it be allowed ? - 3 posts
UK vet prescriptions - 4 posts
Spanish Property Rental .. what success level (Good or bad) with your property. - 1 posts
Pheromone traps for Red Weedvil beetles - 4 posts
Costa Luz Lawyers' Client is offering... - 3 posts
Those Who Live in Glass Houses...... - 37 posts
Resident or not - 4 posts
Gateway To India - Roldan, Murcia - 0 posts
Pension Parity Makes Economic Sense - 1 posts
Any computer boffs out there? - 3 posts
Will the Internet ever get full - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x