Moving to Spain, Need some advice!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Apr 2013 2:09 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

So, Bobaol-are you saying windtalker and jaldridge are wrong?

Like 0      
25 Apr 2013 2:42 PM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

In the same way that prices for things vary in different parts of the UK, they vary in Spain.

It would seem that windtalker and jaldridge live in expensive parts of Spain. My property is not that far from Bobaol, and I know the restaurants/bars he mentions. Last week I sat with a friend in the sun and paid €1 each for a small beer and small glass of wine.

According to our local press, the Valencian area does have the dearest fuel though!

Like 0      
25 Apr 2013 2:46 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Different experiences.    Where we are in Spain it is still cheaper, but we do not by UK stuff or its imitations.  And we use the market for a lot of stuff.   The big expenses like Council Tax make a huge difference and are often forgotten.   Car parking fees are also an issue for me in the UK - free everywhere around here in Spain. 

Like 0      
25 Apr 2013 4:55 PM by Rossetti Star rating in Oxford and Zurich. 124 posts Send private message

Ben+Jen, come to Spain it provides a different experience.

My wife and I came in Feb with a view to staying 12-months to experience something different.

It's certainly different -- we have lived in the South of France for 30-years, but it's different in a nice way. Not sure I could stand it as a life style but it's really good for a visit. We have decided to move on from the South of Spain to the Portugese Atlantic Coast as I have rediscoved the thrill of surfing. We then intend to move to the North of Spain later in the year to experience the Mountains and Basque culture.

Things are different but that's what we was looking for. It's reasonably priced and there is always a deal to be had. The Spannish have been welcoming and good to us. I would say that we are not Brits, i'm Canadian and my wife Italian.

Enjoy the experience we have.

Rossetti

Like 0      
25 Apr 2013 7:05 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

babaol I do not live in Spain I go to my villa in Camposol every 6 weeks throughout the year with my wife, when was the last time you were in the U.K to pass judgment you should let the Spanish nationals Know the secret that you as a foreigner has discovered about their country and maybe they will stop jumping off balcony's .

Pataks curry sauce 3.50 euros Spain / same thing in the U.K £0.75

a tin of beans 75 cents same thing in the UK 25 pence

Sharwoods tortilla wrap kit 5 euros U.K £2.00

Second hand cars a double the price.

Electric meter monthly rental is double Spain

electricity is 25% more Spain

Tap Water is 30% more expensive.Spain

Petrol is more expensive in Spain

this list can go on and on it is very expensive to buy food in Spain

27 % unemployment overall

75 % unemployment if you are under 25

This message was last edited by windtalker on 25/04/2013.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2013 7:31 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Oh, dear, camposol again. What is it about that place?
Everything you have quoted from the shops are British products, no wonder you are paying over the odds. Then again, moving to Spain and trying to bring Britain with you seems to be a funny trait of the British. They do it all over the world and complain about the cost. I wonder if the Spanish in Britain complain about the cost of Serrano or king prawns or manchego cheese? I doubt it.
Second hand cars are not double the price. I've told you a million times, don't exagerrate. My 3 year old car was slightly cheaper here than UK though not much in it. 10 year old bangers are more expensive, agreed, but new and up to 4 years old are similar now even with the crappy state of the pound. No, the Spaniards are not going to drop their prices every time the pound takes another hammering.
Electricity in UK is now more expensive per kw than Spain but, agreed, the VAT here at 21% opposed to 5% make it more expensive. However, my total for electricity here is cheaper than the electric and gas was in UK.
Water more expensive? Rubbish. When I left 18 months ago the rates had just gone to £440 a year as compared with €60 a quarter here or €240 a year.
It is not very expensive to buy food in Spain. It is very expensive to buy British food in Spain.
Actually, if you read my posts, you'll find I was in uk last month, 23rd March, to be precise. We were going to buy stuff to bring back but found it just as expensive as here so didn't bother.
And your comments about Spanish and balconies is very offensive. It does, however, tell us a lot about the type of person you are. The arrogant little Englander who thinks Johnny Foreigner should change and be more like the Brits. I despair of lots of my fellow countrymen when they go abroad.
The thread was about whether a young couple should come over for a few months, not about Brits moaning that they have to pay 20 cents more for a packet of custard creams. Your comment about everything you can think of is much more expensive in Spain due to lack of competition was ludicrous and you know it.

Like 1      
25 Apr 2013 8:41 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

May I suggest if you have an Upper supermercado in your area you ask the manager to order Brit food for you.
Our local one can get most things we ask for by the following day plus prices are much cheaper than the rip off Brit establishments.
for example
Sharwoods curry sauce € 1.95. Agree more expensive than if bought in England but reasonable.
Also if you take time to peruse the shelves in any Mercadona you will find many items, with exception of the latter, that can be bought in UK
Baked beans 50c or less
Kidney beans ( alubia roja ) in jars twice the size of tinned variety for 75c.
If however one gets into the Spanish mode of eating except for the occasional need then food is very much cheaper.
Imho taking the complete package of living here v UK then Spain wins hands down .

Like 0      
25 Apr 2013 8:49 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Babaol you still have not told us the what  part of the dust bowl you are living in you are extremely good at slagging off other parts of Spain and unfortunately for you as a foreigner( that does not speak my language) you will have to put up with the bogus gas men / bogus electricity men /bogus water men and and don't forget the good old Spanish builder the next time you shake hands with one make sure you still have 5 fingers  on your hand and don't forget the  bogus charity collectors  yes Spain has got it all. 

Like 0      
25 Apr 2013 9:25 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Windtalker, if I had your attitude I'd have sold up ages ago and used the money to go to Skegness every year. At least you could get your Brit food from Tesco and have the holidays you crave.
Why do people, Brits mainly, seem to take it as a personal insult when someone actually enjoys their way of life, the fact that they can actually be happy? It seems to really annoy them when they realise not everyone has their pessimistic outlook. They then come out with trite and over used insults which they seem to think is clever but really isn't. Well, I'm sorry but I don't live my life being miserable even though it seems to make some people happy actually being miserable. Victor Meldrew syndrome? And the generalisations! So you don't speak Spanish. I do, thank you very much, and quite well. I thought it would be a good thing to do so I don't hang around in bars complaining about all the immigrants to UK who don't speak English whilst not speaking the language of the country I'm living in.
And, if you possibly bothered to actually look at this site without a red mist coming down every time someone actually enjoyed their lives, you would be able to see my location is printed above every one of my posts.
Now, I find you quite a nasty person. I'm going to do you a favour and ignore all your posts in future. You can now go away and moan about rose tinted glasses, heads in sand, the cost of a tin of baked beans and how people don't realise how miserable you are. That should make you extremely happy.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2013 9:39 PM by ben+jen Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

what is this, why is everyone quoting prices of english food being more expensive in spain............ ** EDITED ** off course its going to be more expensive........... but who cares, seriously who cares, we dont want to go to spain and eat english food anyway, whats the point in that, may as well just stay in the uk if we wanna eat english food. what i dont get is why the hell brits bother going abroad if all they want is whats at home, and then moan about it when they cant get it, or when its more expensive. ive got an idea, if you want a holiday, go to cornwall, or devon, or margate, or a british costal town if you want british stuff. stop quoting stupid food prices on here to us. we dont care if a can of baked beans if 50p more, we dont wanna eat baked beans any way. all we wanted to know is if there was any certain regulations to abide by when moving to spain for 3-6 months. go and moan eleswhere if thats what you want to do!!!!!!! DONT DO IT HERE!!!! ITS VERY SAD!! thanks to the people that gave us helpfull comments, much appriciated and we will be taking everthing on board that you have said!! BTW if anyone wnated to know.... we are looking to go south coast most probably, a part of spain thats as far away from th UK as possible!!!!!

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 25/04/2013.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2013 9:47 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Windtalker.

Babaol you still have not told us the what part of the dust bowl you are living in you are extremely good at slagging off other parts of Spain and unfortunately for you as a foreigner( that does not speak my language) you will have to put up with the bogus gas men / bogus electricity men /bogus water men and and don't forget the good old Spanish builder the next time you shake hands with one make sure you still have 5 fingers on your hand and don't forget the bogus charity collectors yes Spain has got it all.

Here in the UK we have bogus water men etc, two of them caught my Dad of guard some years ago, it's still going on even now, one lot get caught, two lots start up,  employ an English builder, pay them the price they ask, and see if they complete, or do a good job for the money, we even have bogus police, don't even go down the road for bogus charity collectors.

As for comparing food cost in Spain to the UK., Why? We spend a lot of time in Spain and eat mostly Spanish, Chinese, German, even fish and chips in Spud Murphys, never had any problems with any, in the UK cant eat fish and chips, wont eat Chinese.

Tell you what has P****D of a lot of Brits, the exchange rate, when it was 1.55€ to the £££££ who moaned, now it 's not so good, Spain is a rip of.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2013 9:53 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

...we are looking to go south coast most probably, a part of Spain thats as far away from th UK as possible!!!!!......
That in itself ben+jen will be an almost impossible task but one I do hope you succeed in because from Las Rosas to Marbella and beyond Brits and their supermarkets, bars and , not forgetting, the chippies et al are to be seen in 90% of popular coastal Spanish resorts now.
The very same people who most likely moaned about immigrants taking over areas of UK have done just that here.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2013 9:59 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

No need to get rude..everyone is only taking their time out to give you information, they obviously thought that it would be useful, then again this is a thread and hence a discussion, which on occasions moves off track, so there is no need to call those who have posted prices of food "stupid", just ignore it, by the same token you might not know that Spain is in the EU so it means there are no borders or requirements or special regulations to abide by when you move to any of the countries within the EU, but that would be stupid to think you didn't know that. 

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2013 10:26 PM by ben+jen Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

sorry if you thought i was being rude, im not being rude, just saying i dont get why brits do it! and we didnt ask for a petty argument, just some advise, and like i said im the last post, the advise is very much appriciated!! 

Like 0      
26 Apr 2013 7:43 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

We need a new thread, but it is really interesting.   The focus on English products, English or Irish bars - full Sky TV package.  It often is just England with sun.    Then usually a gradual turning against Spain and all things Spanish - often starting with the 'they don't want us here' or 'where would they be without us' comments.   And of course life in the UK is so very perfect..............................

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Condadorentals web page - 0 posts
wanted, good quality furniture and kitchen appliances - 3 posts
Phone Internet Shop Cabo Roig - 1 posts
Urgent CAR help! - 6 posts
Market at Hipodromo .. what a shambles - 4 posts
Trampolin Hills - 0 posts
static caravan - 5 posts
Selling my home bankers draft - 6 posts
AP7 TOLL FEES ESTEPONA-MALAGA AIRPORT - 5 posts
Mooving To spain - 45 posts
Mini One - 0 posts
Support a Spanish foundation crowdfunding project. - 0 posts
External wall insulation grants and loans - 0 posts
Painting Balustrades - 4 posts
Looking for replacement umbrella canopy Nr. Torrevieja - 0 posts
Horse riding - 3 posts
Is Corvera airport now dead in the water? - 10 posts
Retail Knowledge - 0 posts
Internet help please. - 0 posts
Illegal to rent out? - 26 posts
Can anyone recommend a good Gestor in Torrox Costa area ? - 2 posts
CAMPOSOL new ownership ( formerly Gateway to India ) SPICE VILLA CAMPOSOL - 3 posts
I have bought a LHD Spanish Registered Car in the UK is it really that difficult to transfer into my name - 22 posts
Abortion reform in Spain : Madness! - 33 posts
Change of address - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 38

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x