Painting Balustrades

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Apr 2013 4:55 PM by cranston2349 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi

I have now twice painted my balustrades and the paint has flaked off very quickly. I bought the same paint as my neighbour and his is fine.  ??? Do I need to put some sort of a primer on before painting balustrades ???

Dave

Like 0      
26 Apr 2013 10:52 AM by richard4848uk Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

No primer necessary as far as I know.

I presume you are scrapping off the loose flaking paint before re painting ??

Are you using ordinary exterior wall paint ??

If you are you would be better using acrylic ( gloss ) paint, more expensive

but easier to clean.

Like 0      
27 Apr 2013 7:26 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Clean off loose paint and use a sealer/ primer.  A paint shop/ ferretería will be able to advise you.

The problem is probably caused by 'something' in the material the balustrade is made of. The same problem can arise with walls and especially ceilings.  

Like 0      
27 Apr 2013 11:06 AM by chrisinspain Star rating in Los Alcazares. 195 posts Send private message

chrisinspain´s avatar

Make sure there is no flaky or peeling paint. Then seal with unibond, or PVA wixed with water. PVA is wood glue. You would need around one third wood glue to 2 thirds water. You wont need a lot of it as it goes a long way. Paint this mixture on after cleaning the balustrades really thouroughly with something like rough sandpaper of a wire brush which is a bit easier. The PVA mixture will "tighten" everything up. Once dry paint with a good quality exterior grade paint. Something like sand testures paint is good as it is hard wearing and takes a knock. That sould sort it out. The paint you put on is only as good as what is undrneath it

Air Conditioning, Energy Assessor+Technical Services,

chris@homecomforts.es   

http://www.homecomforts.es/

Like 0      
11 Jul 2018 10:16 AM by alisa Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I did it and am still here to post about it. I am not good when it comes to repetitive tasks.  I like to come up with an idea, do it once and then move on. To keep me from losing my mind, I did have to FOCUS and try to make the process go as quickly as I could.  Using the right painter’s tape and a quality primer and paint did help the process since the tape kept the paint off the steps and the paint went on even and smooth in only a few strokes of the brush.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking for replacement umbrella canopy Nr. Torrevieja - 0 posts
Horse riding - 3 posts
Is Corvera airport now dead in the water? - 10 posts
Retail Knowledge - 0 posts
Internet help please. - 0 posts
Illegal to rent out? - 26 posts
Can anyone recommend a good Gestor in Torrox Costa area ? - 2 posts
CAMPOSOL new ownership ( formerly Gateway to India ) SPICE VILLA CAMPOSOL - 3 posts
I have bought a LHD Spanish Registered Car in the UK is it really that difficult to transfer into my name - 22 posts
Abortion reform in Spain : Madness! - 33 posts
Change of address - 5 posts
Expat Solutions - 19 posts
retail shop rental for florist business. - 12 posts
Will a cheap airline fly to cordoba? - 2 posts
hello - 21 posts
uk / spain - 0 posts
3G in Spain - 2 posts
New and seeking guidance - 10 posts
Medical insurance - 11 posts
Need a recommendation for a good restaurant in Malaga old town. - 3 posts
Does this happen to others ???? - 1 posts
Where to buy sewing machines? - 4 posts
EGM's - 6 posts
What is going on with card sharing? - 0 posts
New photos loaded on Camposol Community Forum Page - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x