Mooving To spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Apr 2013 9:54 AM by m00t Star rating in Mungry Land. 3 posts Send private message

Hi

I havent been working for a long time because i am on long term disability.

The english government are cutting some of my benefits so i am moving to spain.

Will i still get the benfits i have?

What kind of jobs can i get in spain?

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 10:05 AM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

You will need to ask the UK Government what benefits you will still get and whether they will be payable in Spain.  You will get no assistance at all from the Spanish government.

Regarding jobs, they are few and far between in Spain.  You will at the very least need good Spanish - withoug it you will find it almost impossible.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 10:12 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Indeed we are not all on benefits!!!   However, it has always irked me the number of people who have moved over, seemingly on endless benefits, and I believe that the ability to do this is at last coming to an end.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 10:15 AM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

Roly2 - I don't see why benefits should be paid in Spain at all.

Moot - see the other thread on this subject.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 10:20 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

I agree - in fact I am really harsh as I do not believe the winter fuel allowance should be paid!!!   I will stand back now.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 10:31 AM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

Interesting how people can be able to work in Spain but are not medically fit to work in UK as long as benifits are being paid

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 10:43 AM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

I was thinking exactly the same, Andy ....

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 11:20 AM by m00t Star rating in Mungry Land. 3 posts Send private message

so will i get benefits or what?

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 11:29 AM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

As I said, you will need to ask your social security office.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 12:13 PM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

I hope the UK government will not be so stupid as to keep paying benifits to people who choose to leave the country for a better life abroard, in my opinion you will not get benefits

This message was last edited by andyintorre on 21/04/2013.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 12:19 PM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

You're right, Andy.  The UK government should not pay these.  The Spanish government doesn't pay benefits to people who move to the UK.  If there was a reciprocal arrangement, I wouldn't be so much against it.  I know people who have paid into the Spanish system for years and now when they have lost their jobs or their companies, the Spanish government give them nothing.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 12:27 PM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

For me, Im more interested in why someone cannot work in UK for health reasons and is receiving DLA (or the benefit's replacement PIP) but would be able to work in another country !!

Perhaps the original poster can enlighten us all

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 1:04 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I really do not see any good reason why a person who qualifies for an allowance in the UK should not be able to ‘take it with them’ if they move.

If one thinks they should not, then I would think the same argument could be applied to the Retirement Pension.

I will be interested to hear the reasons for stopping it.

Wend691 though makes a very valid observation.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 1:15 PM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

I think the problem here is that the original poster was asking about working in Spain AND collecting benefits.  Doesn't seem to make sense.

If the Spanish were to make a reciprocal agreement, I wouldn't have a problem with giving benefits to people who prefer to live overseas. It is, after all, generally cheaper in Spain than the UK.  A lot of people who live in Spain independently of the UK government  see the ones who are supported by the government going to Spain to live as a "luxury".  It has to work both ways.  There are a lot of Spanish people moving to the UK now and will probably get some benefits from the UK government (not sure when the new arrangements come into play) but there are no arrangements like this in Spain.

I don't have a problem with pensions being paid in Spain.  Those of a retirement age have worked and contributed to the system. They  should be able to live where they want and receive money wherever they are.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 1:18 PM by ElviriaDreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

ElviriaDreamer´s avatar

There has been no change by the government to the benefits that are transportable. If you are on DLA you can transport the care component but not the mobility component.

There are lots of people who move abroad on benefits and not always to coin the system. Some are just genuine people moving for their own personal reasons. Unfortunately, there will always be some thieving scragbags looking to take the pee...but not all are the same.

Had I of moved to Spain in my caravan (so I don't die in the UK) I would of been entitled to transport my disability allowance as it is a permanent award due to terminal illness (caused by neglect of others). Disability living allowance is not awarded based on income/savings and you are legally entitled to claim it wether you are employed or not. It is paid on the level of disability and illness NOT income or employment.

Oh and I'd of been handing back a huge 3 bed house to help a family and my ESA thus saving the UK another £300/400 a week or £18,000 per annum. 

Instead I have kept my house and will continue to. Kept my caravan and will continue to. Kept my benefits I am legally entitled to til death. It is costing a packet to keep me in the UK...had I moved to Spain it would of cost £51 a week by me keeping my DLA. So the biggest loser in me not moving to Spain is the British government and the Spanish economy.  

According to this thread, had I of gone ahead with my move, I would of been an immoral person. Who'd of thought that choosing to die abroad could be looked upon so poorly!  

It is such a shame that people judge and make assumptions...especially when they are not always up to date with facts. 

To the original poster...maybe you should change your mind on location and move to somewhere ill people are more readily accepted and not judged (even before knowing your circumstances). After all illness and disability can strike at any age and can strike anyone. Why would you want to live in a country where you are looked down upon by many for accepting financial assistance you are legally entitled to due to illness.  

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 1:41 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

The disability allowances are being changed, and people are being reassessed with a view to moving away from an entitlement for life.   10s of thousands of people have been taken off benefits already, and moved onto Jobseekers allowance or nothing.

The old age pension is not a benefit, and of course should be paid to those who have contributed the relevant amounts, but the add on bits and pieces are benefits and should be means tested and not available for those living abroad.   My opinion.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 2:38 PM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

The original poster said the english government had cut some benefits, so I guess the poster no longer qualifies, like so many others I guess, nearly 1 million people have stopped claiming this benefit before they have to go for re assessment to see if they are still in need and unable to work

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 3:17 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Competa, 
                                   If the Spanish were to make a reciprocal agreement, I wouldn't have a problem with giving benefits to people who prefer to live overseas.  A lot of people who live in Spain independently of the UK government  see the ones who are supported by the government going to Spain to live as a "luxury".  It has to work both ways.  There are a lot of Spanish people moving to the UK now and will probably get some benefits from the UK government (not sure when the new arrangements come into play) but there are no arrangements like this in Spain.

My thoughts were, how does it affect the UK if a person who gets the benefit lives in the UK or elsewhere, the payouts would still be the same  ?

A reciprocal agreement would only benefit Spaniards living in UK, and as they would probably qualify in UK for UK benefits thats not relevant surely.  

As for those supporting themselves living in Spain, if they lived in the UK they would also be supporting themselves and those who qualify for benefit would still be getting benefit. 

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 3:28 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Why haven't you been working in UK if you are able to work when moving to Spain? Haven't heard the  answer so far  yet, or are you expecting a miracle cure when arriving on these shores? I bet DWP would be most interested!

The benefits argument would surely apply to Kimikim, who is on benefits-what would happen to her if benefits were withdrawn?What if anything happened to her- her family's healthcare would cease. What would happen if the carer, her husband died how would she employ a private carer? Moving to Spain on benefits is not a good idea!

This message was last edited by camposol on 21/04/2013.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 3:36 PM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

If the person spends the money outside the UK, then it goes into the coffers in that country.  As you say, the payouts would be the same.

What I mean about reciprocal agreements is that DLA would not be paid to non resident Spaniards by the Spanish government.  I am not sure whether payments are made to disabled people in Spain by the Spanish government.  Even if they were,  I doubt very much that if equivalent payments would be made to expatriates.

What I mean about living independently... I can see why people who are living in Spain and not claiming benefits might resent people who live there on benefits.  I have no doubt that people are on benefits for many reasons, but what I think they are trying to crack down on is families who treat it as a lifestyle choice. 

As Camposol says, why could the original poster work in Spain when they couldn't work in the UK.  Until this question is answered, I cannot contribute further to this thread.  I

This message was last edited by competa on 21/04/2013.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mini One - 0 posts
Support a Spanish foundation crowdfunding project. - 0 posts
External wall insulation grants and loans - 0 posts
Painting Balustrades - 4 posts
Looking for replacement umbrella canopy Nr. Torrevieja - 0 posts
Horse riding - 3 posts
Is Corvera airport now dead in the water? - 10 posts
Retail Knowledge - 0 posts
Internet help please. - 0 posts
Illegal to rent out? - 26 posts
Can anyone recommend a good Gestor in Torrox Costa area ? - 2 posts
CAMPOSOL new ownership ( formerly Gateway to India ) SPICE VILLA CAMPOSOL - 3 posts
I have bought a LHD Spanish Registered Car in the UK is it really that difficult to transfer into my name - 22 posts
Abortion reform in Spain : Madness! - 33 posts
Change of address - 5 posts
Expat Solutions - 19 posts
retail shop rental for florist business. - 12 posts
Will a cheap airline fly to cordoba? - 2 posts
hello - 21 posts
uk / spain - 0 posts
3G in Spain - 2 posts
New and seeking guidance - 10 posts
Medical insurance - 11 posts
Need a recommendation for a good restaurant in Malaga old town. - 3 posts
Does this happen to others ???? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 46

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x