garden swimming pool ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Mar 2013 12:49 PM by patrice Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

in my apartment block of 18 apartments ,  the two ground floor apartments have gardens . On my return from my travels i notice that one of them has an almost built ' out of ground  ' swimming pool taking up a little over a half of the garden . It is built up to the level of the terrace so that when the terrace railings are taken down it will be possible to dive in without needing a ladder .  is this legal ? I live in Mallorca .

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 1:51 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar
I very much doubt it if your block is a Community, all owners should be consulted and agree before building a facility like this provided the garden is communal which it would normally be. GFs just have a right of use normally.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 2:08 PM by patrice Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

thank you for such a quick reply . No , we are not a community block of apartments . There was no consultation with the ( mostly ) Mallorcan residents ..... but it seems that only i am appalled . I will approach the Presidente but from previous experience i am not hopefull she will act . Can i do anything .? There must be official rules about  small garden swimming pools , i think .........  or everyone would be doing it ! Our water is not individually metered and that alone must pose a problem .

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 2:35 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In addition to any other action:-
                                                              Any building work ( often even re-tiling a kitchen) needs a Municipal licence.  Check with the Building Dep’t at the town hall.

If the land is community land (although from your post it appears not to be) then any change of use needs 100% agreement of ALL owners, not just a simple majority.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 2:42 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

my question would be

how bad does it impact your life?

if nobody else seems too bothered it cant be destructive to the whole area or someone else would stand up and say something.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 3:04 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

In Almeria it is pretty usual for ground floor apartments on urbanisations to have gardens, so in theory this should allowable once all the licences are in place.  As far as I am aware, they can do pretty much as they like with the garden area - plant trees, pave it over or whatever - build arbours seems popular, but they do need permission and licences.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 3:39 PM by hosilverlining Star rating in Property owner in Gr.... 173 posts Send private message

If you have a president then it sounds as though you have a community of owners?  If the water is all paid for in your community fees and you don't have individual supplies then of course you have an interest in someone putting in a pool albeit on their private property.  Yes find out from your town hall if an above ground private pool needs a licence from the town hall (the licence referred to by johnzx for alterations to a property).  And ask for the matter to be put on the agenda at your next community meeting if you feel it is financially or otherwise detrimental to you and other owners. 

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 4:57 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Are you certain your water is not individually metered?  I have not heard of that before.  Recipe for disaster I would think!!!

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 5:25 PM by patrice Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

well , i can't be certain as i don't speak Spanish and nobody at the community meetings speak English but i am away for months and my water bills are always the same .  I pay the bill every 3 months . To be honest , there are so many other things that drive me crazy paying a bit too much for my water seems petty . Tho' paying for someone's swimming pool may tip the scales !  I have lived near a swimming pool before and the noise is awful even when there are restrictions for use ..... and it mars my stunning view .

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 6:27 PM by patrice Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

good heavens Roly 2 ! so anything that is not paid for by the communily  fee is free for any use .  Tho' the penthouse apartments have been refused permission to build an exra bedroom on their roof terrace .  Tho' i am not sure exactly who did do the refusing .You are right ofcourse ..... and nobody has ever bothered with licences anyway . When i asked an expoliceman if it could be illegal he said it probably was but everthing is illegal .  I guess thats why nobody will stand up and be counted . I just wondered if anyone had come across a two bedroom flat in an apartment block wth a large swimming pool instead of a garden , i couldn't find one via Google .   I will employ a ' gestoria ' to go to the Town Hall .

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 6:46 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Above ground swimming pools do not need  any permissions nor licences to install from the council as they are classed as ' demountable'. That's why everyone installs them.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 6:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Gus, do you mean that one can 'brick and tile' build a pool.?    

I find that hard  to believe,  when even a dwarf wall needs a licence, as does re-tiling a kitchen.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 6:56 PM by patrice Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

thank you ! I shall remember that . All the hours of trawling thru stuff on Google and that bit of imformation dd not come up . Subject closed i guess ! thank you everybody .

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 7:17 PM by patrice Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

may i just say that it  is definitely bricked  , tiled and undergruond piped  . They excavated  aprox. 3 ft  ......  they were unable to get the big diggers in and i assumed that was why it was above ground but since then i have learned ( from Google ) that there are ' out of ground ' pools , which i beleive Guslopez is talking about .

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 9:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This is a desmontable pool, certainly not what is described below

This message was last edited by johnzx on 06/03/2013.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 9:53 PM by patrice Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

no , this is absolutely not what i am talking about . . I am going to take all the good advice i have found here and will report back on this thread    ( may take some time !  )...... patricia.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2013 7:36 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

http://www.gre.es/

This type need no licence to build nor permission. There is also no increase in council tax.

Anything constructed using brick , block concrete , ,etc; not only needs a licence but an architects proyecto & would increase council tax.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2013 7:45 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Gus the type you refer (i.e. this one)
 is like the one in the pic I have posted,

But as Patrice keeps saying, the one  being  commented on is not like that, it a permanent structure of bricks, concrete and tiles.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 07/03/2013.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2013 9:07 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Which would need all the council permissions.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2013 10:45 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Yes, of course permission is needed, but yes, patrice, if the downstairs apartments have gardens they can - and do - instal swimming pools.  I hope licences are in place, but I have to be honest, I pulled out of a villa purchase last year because the beautiful swimming pool had no licence.   'no problem' they said.    But I don't want to be involved in legal arguments in Spain - I have enough in the UK!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Buying in Cabopino, nr Marbella - 4 posts
Shutters on Spanish windows? - 20 posts
Andalucian style candleabra - 2 posts
Changing name on NIE - 6 posts
Bottle gas water heater - 3 posts
Gas hot water heaters - 12 posts
Looking for some information? - 0 posts
Residencia holder-Living outside Spain - 5 posts
Renew my Passport - 2 posts
What constitutes the escritura paperwork in Spain - 6 posts
Best place to buy a used car - 9 posts
Wanted Chicken manure - 1 posts
evicting tenant - 4 posts
DONKEY TAXIS AND BULLFIGHTING IN MIJAS PUEBLO - 22 posts
Looking for Removal Company - 10 posts
PLease Help, Translator in Barcelona, need help with Endesa Electric Bill & Online Account. - 1 posts
Is there any hope for us? - 31 posts
Government aid in spain - 10 posts
Are you happy with spain, how long you lived here and where? - 64 posts
air con - 2 posts
Legal tip 905. Is it Gratuity? - 0 posts
camposol bridge - 3 posts
Asset Declaration 50,000 Euros - 17 posts
Inflation hits the medical market! - 3 posts
orcrosa - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 41

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x