Buying in Cabopino, nr Marbella

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Mar 2013 9:22 AM by joshep80 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi everyone

We are thinking about puchasing a property in Cabopino near Marbella about which I have several queries:

How often and for what price are properties selling for in that area - are they prices discounted that much or is the area which is still very popular/fashionable still in demand.  I have noticed that there are still several properties for sale there that were for sale a while ago, but there does not seem to be many reposessions there?

Is short term holiday lettings more hassle than its worth?  The property is on a golf course, near a lovely beach, near a private marina and near to Marbella so would appeal to many different types of people?

Would it be better to go for long term rentals as we do not necessarily need to use the property much over the next couple of years.

The property is available to us to buy through a friends family, so we would therefore not be using an estate agent - what are the pitfalls/advantages of this?

I look forward to hearing from anyone soon

Many thanks

Jo

Like 0      
19 Mar 2013 3:55 PM by Damatt Star rating in South Wales/Algorfa. 78 posts Send private message

Hi Jo,

Marbella is still a sought after area and it is only in the last 18 months that the price drop has started to move to the area. Properties that dont sell within 6 months are normally over priced in the first place especially in todays market. If you like the place, make an offer and see what happens, if they dont accept you can move on to another, it is a buyers market.

Short term rentals - you will never be rich and dont expect to much, you will need to do lots of marketing which in many cases can be expensive though if you look around there are a few who will do a free listing and take a commission on every rental. We have done short term rentals with our apartment and normally can fill July and August without much problem though other times of year can be hard, expect about 10 weeks per year. Plus you will need someone you can trust to manage the place locally.

Long term rentals - these days long term rentals can be a good way to go, we get many enquiries for 11 month, 6 month and 3 month rentals, lots want June to October or November to March/April, but again you will need a local person to keep an eye on the place and do minor repairs. Again some sites will do a listing for free and charge a commission.

If you know the family then why use an agent, sorry agents, just use an independant solicitor and make sure everything is legal and all bills are settled as they will not be friends of the family if it goes wrong. You can make offers via your solicitor and they will do all the checks for you.

If you are thinking of buying the place, do like you would at home, go back and have a look around the area, go back in the evening, in the morning and at weekends, are there dogs barking, youngsters on motorbikes and not nice people next door. Do your research, if it takes a few months then why worry, you are in no rush, just make sure it is right for you.

You say about being on a golf course, we are next to a 5* golf course and Spa and in 6 years we have never had any golfers. We are just 10 minutes drive from a blue flag beach, but even that is to far for some people, they want to be front line and that is to far for some, so dont expect to much and then when you do get something, it is a bonus.

Good luck with it.

Dave

Like 0      
19 Mar 2013 10:15 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

If its cheap go for it

but rember if there is any chance no matter how slim the chance that you may need to sell it at any point you need to be prepared to take a huge loss as the market is flooded with property and bank repos.

"How often and for what price are properties selling for in that area"

this is a nonsense question

in La Zagaletta i know someone that just paid a 1.5 millio euors steal on a property that was in the heyday well over 8million

I also know a ton of people that just cant sell their houses in any way shape or form.

If you think you can use the property and afford it and you are getting it for a redicuous steal price that makes you laugh every time you think about it then go for it.

if you are paying market value then you are being shafted

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
20 Mar 2013 4:25 PM by joshep80 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the information.
I still would like to know how to find out if properties have recently sold in the community in which I am looking and what they are going for- is there a way if finding this out? This I think would reflect what today's market value of the property is.

Thanks
Jo

Like 0      
10 Apr 2013 10:16 AM by sprouty Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi we love Cabopino but recently it gets bombarded by the lucky lucky men. We were also thinking of buying there but not too sure now as these men are a pain and you cannot relax on the beach. We thought there might have been some Policing to stop this but it seems acceptable to the locals for some reason. They even wander inside the restaurants when you are just wanting to relax and enjoy a meal. So we are looking at other areas to buy now any suggestions around that area would be welcome 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Shutters on Spanish windows? - 20 posts
Andalucian style candleabra - 2 posts
Changing name on NIE - 6 posts
Bottle gas water heater - 3 posts
Gas hot water heaters - 12 posts
Looking for some information? - 0 posts
Residencia holder-Living outside Spain - 5 posts
Renew my Passport - 2 posts
What constitutes the escritura paperwork in Spain - 6 posts
Best place to buy a used car - 9 posts
Wanted Chicken manure - 1 posts
evicting tenant - 4 posts
DONKEY TAXIS AND BULLFIGHTING IN MIJAS PUEBLO - 22 posts
Looking for Removal Company - 10 posts
PLease Help, Translator in Barcelona, need help with Endesa Electric Bill & Online Account. - 1 posts
Is there any hope for us? - 31 posts
Government aid in spain - 10 posts
Are you happy with spain, how long you lived here and where? - 64 posts
air con - 2 posts
Legal tip 905. Is it Gratuity? - 0 posts
camposol bridge - 3 posts
Asset Declaration 50,000 Euros - 17 posts
Inflation hits the medical market! - 3 posts
orcrosa - 0 posts
Satellite channel update: True Entertainment +1 - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x