Changing name on NIE

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Mar 2013 2:22 PM by carmol2 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

When we bought our house in Spain we were not married so all the documents - NIE etc - were in my maiden name.  Now, however, we have married and my passport has been renewed in my married name.  At the end of last year when I dealt with our non-resident tax, the company I was using told me I must get the NIE changed into the name on my passport.  However, our bank account in Spain is still in my maiden name, as are all the direct debits (water/electric/IBI).  I fail to see why it's necessary to change the name on the NIE since it is still MY name, though not the one I use on my passport.  I dread the bureacratic nightmare which will ensue - police station to change NIE; bank to change name on account; town hall to change IBI direct debit; untilities to change direct debits....aaargh!  So - does anyone know whether there is any real reason for changing all this just to match the passport name (the company concerned said the Spanish are now insisting all this matches as a measure to combat money laundering)?

Like 0      
05 Mar 2013 2:44 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

What a shame that you changed your passport! All your problems would not have risen.

The spanish system is better. Women keep the name they were born with, and do not have to change to the husband's, which seems to be a throwback to the days when women were mere chattels of the husband.

Like 0      
05 Mar 2013 4:41 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

I wouldn't worry about it. Show them your old passport if they moan.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
05 Mar 2013 5:17 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Even in  the UK a woman does not have to change her name on marriage. It is purely customary.

When my wife came to Spain her passport was in her maiden name, Thus she got her Residencia in that name. She later decided to change her name on her passport, to accord with Spanish custom and now has two surnames,  her maiden name and my surname. When she renewed her Residencia she just showed the ‘new name’ on the application and the Residencia was issued in that name.

(Maybe I should mention,  my wife is non-European thus she still has a Residencia)

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 9:25 AM by carmol2 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Many thanks for the replies and helpful comments.  From what you all say it does seem that this is just an unnecessary piece of bureacracy.  I hope that the single fact that I pay my taxes without prompting will suffice!

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 9:38 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Carmol 2

In Spain (as a national) it is not possible to change one's name, without the authority of a judge, and only then in very rare circumstances, maybe a witness in a serious case where they may be killed amd need protection etc.

Although they ‘accept’ the principle that UK citizens change their name on marriage, it not ‘normal.’

I would suggest you use just one name. 

As a Brit, our passport is the only legal ID we have in Spain, so having a different name will probably cause difficulties.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2013 2:19 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

brilliant information john

this should be stuck somewhere on the site as a reference.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Bottle gas water heater - 3 posts
Gas hot water heaters - 12 posts
Looking for some information? - 0 posts
Residencia holder-Living outside Spain - 5 posts
Renew my Passport - 2 posts
What constitutes the escritura paperwork in Spain - 6 posts
Best place to buy a used car - 9 posts
Wanted Chicken manure - 1 posts
evicting tenant - 4 posts
DONKEY TAXIS AND BULLFIGHTING IN MIJAS PUEBLO - 22 posts
Looking for Removal Company - 10 posts
PLease Help, Translator in Barcelona, need help with Endesa Electric Bill & Online Account. - 1 posts
Is there any hope for us? - 31 posts
Government aid in spain - 10 posts
Are you happy with spain, how long you lived here and where? - 64 posts
air con - 2 posts
Legal tip 905. Is it Gratuity? - 0 posts
camposol bridge - 3 posts
Asset Declaration 50,000 Euros - 17 posts
Inflation hits the medical market! - 3 posts
orcrosa - 0 posts
Satellite channel update: True Entertainment +1 - 1 posts
Before you buy in a community ask to see the community accounts - 7 posts
Listed Buildings( Zona Protegida) - 3 posts
PRICE OF PROPERTY IN MIJAS PUEBLO and AYAMONTE - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x