Help Please! - Drawing on your pension from Spain for the first time

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jan 2013 9:28 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Hi All 

I hope someone can help me with this problem. My daughter's godfather has been living in Spain for the past 8 years or so and turned 68 this year. He has had untold problems to get his pension from the UK. He has a solicitor in the UK who has been looking after his case and doesn't seem to be able to solve the problem. I assume he reached his pension ellegibility age when he was 65, so I imagine he would be due arrears (I don't know, my pension age is quite a way off so I don't have a clue about UK pensions). He tells me he can't draw his pension from Spain as he is not a resident in the UK. According to his solicitor he would have to go back to the UK get an address and apply for his pension then and then eventually move abroad again. I have the feeling he is being greatly mislead as I thought it was possible to draw on your pension for the first time from abroad if you had worked in the UK for at least 30 years. Can someone please shed some light on this as he is desperate and really needs to get his pension sorted out. He gave up his property in the UK over 5 years ago so has no address and can't afford to move back and get a residence just to sort all this out.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance..

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 9:49 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/how-to-claim

It's quite straighforward and shouldn't need a solicitor. If he has any queries he should the International Pensions Centre in Newcastle. He wont get arrears as such for past years but his pension should be slighter higher for deferring it.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 9:57 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Sorry but i can't see where the problem is. You can apply for a pension online easily enough. The 30 years is simply to get the full amount and he would get a reduced amount even if the 30 years wasn't completed. As long as he knows his NI number it should automically be done. No need for a UK address nor even a UK bank as they will pay it to a Spanish account.
Go to the dwp website and apply online. It would take a little longer if no NI number but only a few days more. Not sure whether payments would be backdated or if it would be increased as a deferred pension but certainly don't need a solicitor for this as the pensions people will sort it out.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 10:16 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

It should be noted  that if he has worked in Spain he should claim it through the Spanish system.

/

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/pensions-benefits/pensions/#general info 

This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 13/01/2013.

This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 13/01/2013.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 11:54 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

I didn' think it was much of a problem either until he was insiting that it couldn't be done and I wasn't going to doubt his solicitor, but to be honest I love him to bits but he doesn't have a clue about admin. Poppyseed, No he hasn't worked in Spain, always in the UK.

I'll start to have a look into it and speak to the International Pensions Centre. Thanks for your help all. I'll come back for more advice if I knock up against a brick wall!! Not sure where the problems has arisen from in the first place.

thanks

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 1:34 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Categorically, there is absolutely no need for a lawyer and anyone who tells you otherwise is talking total rubbish.

Furthermore UK residence is definitely not a pre-requisite.

Talk directly to the IPC in Newcastle. Tel No 0044 191 218 7777.

Your daughters godfather will need to be able to give your Nat. Ins. Number, Date of Birth, and maybe a few security questions,

UK State Pension is indeed payable after 30 years of employment in the UK and is payable evry four weeks into a nominated Spanish Bank account in Euros at the going business exchange rate on the date of payment. IPC will need the full IBAN / SWIFT bank account number, the name of the account and the branch address.

Both my state pension and my wife's became eligible for payment after we moved here and we encountered no problems at all.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 9:37 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I agree with Foxbat and others. 

I had been living in Spain for 17 years when I became 65. I had not worked in Spain. I called the overseas branch of DWP and from then on got my pension paid to my bank in Spain, I could have choosen a UK bank.. 

I chose payment every 4 weeks but that can be very three months I think. It is paid to my Spanish bank account (via Madrid). The bank cannot change for receiving pension payments and as the DWP make the transfer in bulk you get the highest possible exchange rate (on the day of transfer). 

The money will be in your Spanish account about 4 days after the payment date in UK

I have researched the rate thoroughly and can say for certain it is the best rate.

NB My motto is NEVER USE A SOLICITOR UNLESS IT IS IMPERATIVE on  the whole they are not very useful and are often incompetent and even dangerous for their clients’ interests. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

swop LHD car for RHD model - 1 posts
Family moving to Spain - 14 posts
Lawyer's liability - 8 posts
Spanish Citizenship Application Question - 7 posts
property to rent - 0 posts
Golf Lessons - Mar Menor Area - 2 posts
Loss of Community Fee discount for breaking community rules - 5 posts
Cheap and Cheerful for 3 months - 1 posts
spanish law - Retrospective planning - 5 posts
savings account without charges - 0 posts
Espana viva - 1 posts
Facts on Bank Debts to Communities - 8 posts
Anyone else lost BBC channels this morning? - 9 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance, back years - 28 posts
BAD BANK DEBT - 2 posts
Apartment Reduced from 112k to 34k in Andalcia - 22 posts
BUG ON THIS SITE - 4 posts
Golf share in Guadalmina for sale - 1 posts
Congratulations to Think Spain Sl and Well done to Justin for the EOS Sale - 9 posts
Another success for Costa Luz Lawyers - 7 posts
Two bikes for sale - 0 posts
Road bike 58 cm wanted - 0 posts
Bank Account Translation - 2 posts
Car hire spain - 2 posts
What Documents Should be Kept In the Car - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x