Lawyer's liability

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jan 2013 1:09 PM by aleblancsmith Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

I bought an apartment in a small village in Murcia last February. It is on first floor with access by outside stairs. I used a local well known lawyer to handle the purchase. Vehicle access was by an unmade road running in front of the building. Below the road there was a rough area of land.  During the Summer this land was purchased by a local who has now built a wall around it.  This wall completely blocks vehicle access to the stairs of my flat - we are left with only a pavement. My escitura states that "there are stairs to the street". Of course this development considerably reduces the value of my property.  My question is whether the lawyer that I used is liable for failing to properly investigate the access to the property.

Andrew

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 8:06 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Welcome to Spain and all the fun it brings.

You need to weight up the options and  facts.

If you are not a local so you have no chance getting anywhere with anything.
Lawyers in a third world country like spain seem to have no liability for anything.
Be lucky you still own you property and it hasnt been knocked down or you havent lost your entire investment.
If a local has bought it they tend to do what they want and nobody says anything.

If the lawyers were liable all these billions of pounds they faciliated from removing from english bank accounts into spanish ones would have to be accounted for.
But look at hundreds of forum posts where people have lost everything and this was in part due to lawyer negligence/conflict of interest.

Do you have 20 years and very deep pockets to fight this thing?

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 10:54 PM by aleblancsmith Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi Mungry,

Thanks your prompt response contents of which were expected!  The second query is what chance of getting the wall moved about 2-3 metres to allow access. Have understood that every property has to have suitable access. There are 3 parties affected - ourselves, groundfloor owner(English) and Spanish owner of an old property next door to our apartments. Guess having a local envolved should help.

Andrew

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 11:21 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

I hate to be negative and i am a pretty positive person.

thr questions you ask seem like pretty reasonable ones that could be resolved with a bit of negotiation.

But it just dosent happen.
Unless someone can prove otherwise i have never seen someone get a spanish `local` to do something they dont want to do.

The wall is there for good and you can either fight it or accept it.

I say this as giving you the benefit of my experience of living in spain for almost a decade and seeing many lives destroyed through trying to fight a system that is unbalanced.
Personally i like to fight  and will pick a fight over anything i feel like, but it all depends on how much of a masocist you are

This message was last edited by Mungry on 13/01/2013.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 12:23 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear Andrew:

Of course it is liable

Kindest,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 12:55 PM by gaula Star rating in marbella and the u.k. 64 posts Send private message

its completley bonkers to suggest lawyers  have no liability, all lawyers are insured by the college that gave them the qualification.On thios forum some people are totally negative about all aspects of life in Spain. I can speak from a position of knowledge on this that there are many good lawyers here who go the extra mile to help clients .Perhaps some of the whinging brits on this forum are not aware easy jet fly to the U.K daily and I would be more than happy to offer any of you a lift to the airport 

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 5:43 PM by aleblancsmith Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Dear Gaula,

When I bought my property the lawyers quoted what they would do which included the sentence "We will carry out searches with all the utilities company, local authorities and Land Registry Office to ensure that you are purchasing the property free of charges and encumbrances"  Surely this should include the question of access?

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 9:01 AM by gaula Star rating in marbella and the u.k. 64 posts Send private message

I would suggest you speak to your lawyer , my understanding is that the law in Spain recognises  the right of access and egress but to what level three meters seems close .

Speak to the man who did the transaction and ask for an explanation .

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 9:01 AM by gaula Star rating in marbella and the u.k. 64 posts Send private message

I would suggest you speak to your lawyer , my understanding is that the law in Spain recognises  the right of access and egress but to what level three meters seems close .

Speak to the man who did the transaction and ask for an explanation .

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish Citizenship Application Question - 7 posts
property to rent - 0 posts
Golf Lessons - Mar Menor Area - 2 posts
Loss of Community Fee discount for breaking community rules - 5 posts
Cheap and Cheerful for 3 months - 1 posts
spanish law - Retrospective planning - 5 posts
savings account without charges - 0 posts
Espana viva - 1 posts
Facts on Bank Debts to Communities - 8 posts
Anyone else lost BBC channels this morning? - 9 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance, back years - 28 posts
BAD BANK DEBT - 2 posts
Apartment Reduced from 112k to 34k in Andalcia - 22 posts
BUG ON THIS SITE - 4 posts
Golf share in Guadalmina for sale - 1 posts
Congratulations to Think Spain Sl and Well done to Justin for the EOS Sale - 9 posts
Another success for Costa Luz Lawyers - 7 posts
Two bikes for sale - 0 posts
Road bike 58 cm wanted - 0 posts
Bank Account Translation - 2 posts
Car hire spain - 2 posts
What Documents Should be Kept In the Car - 15 posts
Reporting of Assets Outside Spain and UK Rental Income. - 355 posts
Car Hire in Murcia area - 7 posts
Justin Aldridge have you left the Building?? - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x