What Documents Should be Kept In the Car

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Jan 2013 9:16 AM by Ian_n_Angie Star rating in Buckinghamshire and .... 35 posts Send private message

I did have a list of documents that should be kept in the car whilst in Spain but I think in the upset of packing I have mis placed them. I am off to the laminators later today so help would be appreciated.

I have rememebered so far...

copy of passports and drivers lic

Many thanks

Angie

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 9:58 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Permiso de Circulacíon, and insurance.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 10:46 AM by Ian_n_Angie Star rating in Buckinghamshire and .... 35 posts Send private message

Thanks Tamara!

Our neveres are frayed as it is with all of this upheaval and a "discussion" about the where abouts of a misplaced (ie thrown away) list can now be avoided! 

Angie

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 10:49 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

And

Tarjeta de Inspection technical de vehiculos complete with valid ITV stamp if applicable

Best to carry proof you have paid the road tax as well

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 11:23 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ian
                  You do not say whether it is UK or Spanish Registered.

You mention copies and laminating. 

Only original documents are permitted (unless the copy has been certified as a true copy by the ISSUING AUTHORITY, not the town hall, not a notary etc. (only the issuing authority can be absolutely certain that the original document you produce is in fact the genuine article

Also, if the registered owner is not driving the vehicle and is not in it, then they must provide a letter of authority, in Spanish, permitting the other person to drive the vehicle.

If the vehicle is on Spanish reg, then the insurance details are recorded centrally and can be accessed by the police, thus you do not legally have to carry your insurance. That said I always carry mine ‘just in case’.

And, you must also carry your legal ID. So if you do not have a legal D card from your country (like Brits do not) then you are obliged to carry your original passport (or certified copy, as above).   That said, I don’t carry my  original PP,  and I know many others don’t do it either, but if you get a difficult police officer  you could end up with a fine.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 09/01/2013.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 11:54 AM by Ian_n_Angie Star rating in Buckinghamshire and .... 35 posts Send private message

John

It is a UK car and we will be travelling to Spain on Friday.

We will have all the originals of these documents with us as we are coming over to stay for a few months.

I was laminating things before I left as I was told it was "advisable" to carry copies and not originals incase car got stolen etc whilst we are temporarily residing over there. We will be there for 3 - 6 months.

Anymore advice you or other members could give would be great.

Thankyou

Ian

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 12:24 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

Also don't forget fluorescent jackets to be carried in the car, a red warning triangle. For France a breathalyser kit to be kept in the car. If the driver normally wears glasses for driving a spare pair must also be carried. I am told a spare bulb set is no longer necessary in SPain.

If carrying pets there are other requirements.

Juan

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 12:45 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
And the yellow jacket needs to be in the car, not in the boot. If there's a passenger, then a second yellow jacket is required but this can be in the boot - but they can't get out until you have got their jacket out, while wearing yours.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 12:48 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Juan,
                that’s two triangles of course (which are 'E` approved) one behind the car for breakdowns on motorways, but one in front and one behind on other roads.

Not sure about the bulbs, but interestingly, I just picked up a new car and that has a set of bulbs, as well the jackets and triangles supplied with it.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 1:29 PM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

We were pulled over last Thursday and all they wanted to see were my driving license and premission to circulate, they did not ask for insurance or ITV but have been asked for the ITV in the past.

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 2:14 PM by Ian_n_Angie Star rating in Buckinghamshire and .... 35 posts Send private message

Thanks all.

Have laminated everything - will keep originals with us but have copies incase anything goes astray

Ian

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 3:37 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Surely if  a copy of a  passport etc  is notarised, there shouldn't be a problem. No one wants to risk losing or having these valuable documents stolen.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 4:20 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campo I know it makes your day to disagree with anything I say.

But I repeat, the requirement to have an original document (say a passport for ID purposes)  is not my opinion it is the law in Spain. I say that as National Police employed adviser with 15 years  experience.

And, anticipating descent, I did explain why only copies authorised by the issuing authority of the original document, will be accepted.(see earlier post)

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 10:51 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Yes unfortunately you are right John, it is a pain to carry your original passport with you at all times as the law requires. Like you, I stopped doing it a while back  and just carry my Spanish drivers license (with photo) for everyday situations, a copy of my passport and NIE certificate just in case. Eventhough it is not oficially an ID document (I should carry my passport), 95% of the time it is accepted, but as you say a policeman could insist on seeing my passport and if I don't have it  could fine me if he's having a bad day, but in all the experience I have had with the police my drivers license was sufficient. 

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2013 6:21 AM by frankymc1 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I have been told you no longer need a set of bulbs. On some newer  cars you have to take the front wings off to change bulbs. Imagine doing that at the side of the road.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2013 7:25 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Mac.  
                Until a couple of years ago it was the norm  when people came to the police station to make a denuncia (crime report) if they did not have their original Passport the police would refuse to take the report, meaning that the ‘victim’ would have to return to their home/hotel and get it. 

Although if they had lost their passport, the police managed without it. 

I used to try explaining to the police that if a person did not have their passport, for whatever reason, they did not have it.  and that if it was the subject of the theft,  the report could still be made, so why not permit the report to made when they had forgotten to bring it ?

Maybe over the years my point has got home!

This message was last edited by johnzx on 10/01/2013.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Reporting of Assets Outside Spain and UK Rental Income. - 355 posts
Car Hire in Murcia area - 7 posts
Justin Aldridge have you left the Building?? - 2 posts
What happens if I do not collect a Burofax??? - 9 posts
AUAN Press Release: Ex-pat homeowners take Spain to European Court of Human Rights - 11 posts
Netball in Seville? - 0 posts
Ian and Angie Calling - 4 posts
Registering a car in spain - 2 posts
Online Language Help - 2 posts
Community Approval for alterations to exterior of apartments - 5 posts
Rojales school - does anyone have children at this school? - 12 posts
Julie Andrews Turning 79 - this is hysterical! - 3 posts
Swapping Flat instead of selling - 2 posts
Can someone confirm Automatic Residency with a 160k euros purchase? - 22 posts
Best Bank here in Spain for residents? - 6 posts
Hertz Hire Car Charges For Full Tank? - 3 posts
Building a swimming pool advice - 5 posts
Hello, calling from Bulgaria. - 0 posts
Two Spaniards Self-Immolate Due To Financial Problems - 5 posts
Taking "embargos" from bank accounts - 4 posts
Non Residence tax Fiscal - 2 posts
Properties for sale? - 2 posts
Want extra satellite channels for Free? Gold, Dave, Alibi - 0 posts
Macias legal - Still in business? - 0 posts
housing price news spells disaster in sunbelt!! - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x