Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Dec 2012 5:10 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

"Mac75"

"Classes aren't an issue here and shouldn't ever be,"

I have never seen such a class divide as bad as spain.

we lived in India when i was young and had our own untouchables.
Spain sometimes seems even worse and especially Marbella, Sotogrande and other wealthy areas of cadiz

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 8:34 AM by MetGB Star rating. 52 posts Send private message

And of course Barcelona; classism is alive and kicking in that city.

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 11:32 AM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

You are kidding me! Lets not start with comparisons between India and Spain, come on there is no comparison at all. Barcelona is a rather special city in terms of classism due to the mass labour move in the sixties and strongly rooted Catalan Bourgeoisie in the centre of Barcelona, so there is a sentiment there, but under no circumstances is there a national feeling of class system and snobbery. Please explain:

"I have never seen such a class divide as bad as spain"

I am amazed at your comment......

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 11:35 AM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

I actually enjoy Barcelona tremendously and the Catalan Bourgeoisie in Balmas,BCN.    Supersedes Roma anyday.

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 11:40 AM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

btw having lived in India, the caste system in India cannot really be compared to Spain.  India's system is about a division of labour and subservience ie knowing one's place, almost tribal.  It is however breaking down now in the modern parts of India.   I see Spain as a regional class division,

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 11:41 AM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Just because someone is wealthy and lives in Sotogrande doesn't mean they are woking class, middle class or upper class. It just means they have made money full stop. What i am trying to say is that in Spain, what differentiates people is money some have more and some have less but it doesn't imply what social standing they have. Social standing is not an issue here. Money is. It's a different story entirely. 

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 11:50 AM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

while we're still on the subject I agree Mac, As people gain money they also gain status, therefore money to poorer people is important ie the buying of goods and services that signal membership belonging to the upper classes.    Although the landed gentry would have a different story to tell about the nouveau riche.

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 12:02 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

You do not get the feeling at all that the Spanish are motivated to buying good things so that they can be ascoiated with a higher social class. They are motivated by good things, as most people in modern day society. They are not motivated by social classes as in the UK. There isn't a need to show off how well you have done to your neighbour across the road, or move to a classier neighbourhood because one now feels they belong in "another" area. They are motivated by money as I said before and couldn't care less what social class they are in. There is a strong feeling of pride to be who you are and defend your roots, not trying to leave them behind and generally they are not worried about it in the slightest if they were born into a working class family or a middle class family, all that drives them is having a comfortable and successful life. There is not this feeling of predjudice that is often felt in the UK.

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 12:23 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

So no chavs as we have here roflmao!

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 12:26 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

No, chavs are people who use text speak on chat sites.  

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 12:44 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

No they're not they wear Burberry lol.  I wonder what I am I threw my mobile away a year or so back!

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 12:48 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

ooops never let it be said I am slow on the uptake .  I use acronyms a lot  (rsi) - was that a pop at  moi by chance?

Like 0      
22 Dec 2012 8:51 AM by midasgold Star rating in Mijas.. 93 posts Send private message

Sod the class debate  -  during the previous week one of my TV stations was lost and

replaced with another  station  " Pick tv  "

This had a feature also about the Spanish / Brit mix  on the CDS .

Having lived here ( CDS ) eight years I was dumb struck on

how badly we were shown to behave. Did anyone else see this programme ?  

Like 0      
22 Dec 2012 10:26 AM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Last night I saw the documentary on youtube, and to be honest it was spot on. That is Spain at the moment. I thought the bit on Benidorm would be worse but it wasn't that bad, it showed what it is, so no real surprise, but it certainly wasn't the focus of the documentary. I found it a pretty accurate portrayal of how Spain is at the moment. The part on food banks is entirely true and widespread around the country, it was quite a depressing picture. If those commenting here haven't seen it I suggest you watch it as this thread is about the documentary after all, so maybe we can leave other topics to one side now and get back on thread. I do certainly agree with the comments made on the political structure of the autonomous governments in Spain and how they have lead to the control of building societies and  multi-million euros prestige constructions and projects at the expense of schoold and basic needs for the local society. A real shame, I live in Valencia and I have seen how just few have filled their pockets with local government spending. Really shocking stories like the Science Park, Bancaja and famous architects! 

Like 0      
22 Dec 2012 11:50 AM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

i agree, it ertainly showed Benidorm in an accurate light and for anyone who has never been to Benidorm it would surey put you off.  Excellent programme.

Like 0      
22 Dec 2012 1:23 PM by steve&hayley Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

I think they should do the same report on England then lets see everyone's response for everyone that says Spain is doomed there's someone who disagrees
No secret were all in it up to are necks just decide where you want to be
Spain for me rather be poor in the sun :)

Merry Christmas all

Like 0      
22 Dec 2012 2:16 PM by MetGB Star rating. 52 posts Send private message

errrmmm  I fail to see the analagy between the UK and Spain.  I live in London,  one of the worlds largest financial capitals and I don't do poor anywhere!   We are not under imminent financial threat in all public sectors.  I don't think it's worthwhile pointing out the obviouse differences as I am busy here making a crust and enjoying my life.

We

Like 0      
22 Dec 2012 2:50 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Well MetGB - I don't 'do' poor either, but I have many friends in the UK who tell me they are contributing to food banks all over the UK.  A comparison might not be as outrageous as you think, especially since every time I go to Madrid I am surprised by both the cost of living there and the fact that there are still people who can afford to live there!!!   

Like 0      
23 Dec 2012 1:47 AM by unidian Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

By the by, rarely comment but ... who's the dim chav in fake ocelot ...? 

This message was last edited by unidian on 23/12/2012.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2012 1:48 AM by unidian Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

As to the documentary ... spot on!

This message was last edited by unidian on 23/12/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Tax info on selling a recently inherited property please - 2 posts
Illustrator Wanted - 0 posts
Looking for an Illustrator - 2 posts
SPAIN NO LONGER AN OPTION - 2 posts
Funny Christmas Greeting in Spanish! - 5 posts
SIA DOOR SUPERVISOR - 5 posts
Minimum age of consent in Spain - 5 posts
Motivated Brokers Wanted - 0 posts
Embargo on a Motorbike-Help! - 6 posts
Solar Plant Medina Sidonia - 0 posts
No wills - 2 posts
Inheritance Tax for Non-residents - 7 posts
Credit Checks in Spain - 0 posts
Tenants fom Hell. What can be done legally - 36 posts
Responsibilities of property management company - 3 posts
Latest house price news from Spain - 157 posts
Property Nightmare resolved! - 4 posts
Should the "bad bank" demolish or finish the properties? - 12 posts
Merry Xmas - 0 posts
Name and Shame list for tax cheats - 6 posts
Nie or passport numbers needed when buying goods. - 7 posts
Looking for printers of calendars and promotional products in Murica/Alicante region - 2 posts
home page on my laptop - 2 posts
Astra 1N, 2F & 2E satellite change over information & reception maps UK TV Spain - 0 posts
Nox-Bellcow successfully developed a new kind of tencel spunlace - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 79

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x