Wot no heating??

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Sep 2012 10:00 AM by Alfonso70 Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hi everyone, following on from my thread about looking for a house to rent in Murcia I wondered if anyone living down there could shed some light on why none of the houses i've looked at have any form of heating except log stoves. I've have visited the area a couple of times and do understand that its a lot warmer than up here in Asturias, but i just wondered if someone down there could give me some first hand knowledge of what the temperatures are like down there during the winter months? Thanks

Like 0      
06 Sep 2012 10:21 AM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

We have a three bed appartment near Puerto Mazarron. Although we have central A/C we never use it in the winter. We simply have a portable gas fire as do most of our neighbours. Last winter we used one bottle of gas only. The only other forms of heating are fan wall mounted heaters in the bathrooms and occasionally an electric blanket. We have seen frost a couple of times, but very rarely. Last three xmas lunches have been eaten outside. Hope this helps explain.

GUy

Like 0      
06 Sep 2012 10:39 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

We have a 3 bed Villa in playa flamenca, south of Torrevieja. We have a portable gas fire and use one bottle a fortnight. Our place is north facing. I'm sure a south facing property would need very little heating. Hope this helps. Kevin

Like 0      
06 Sep 2012 3:36 PM by ojosazul88 Star rating. 171 posts Send private message

Murcia is a very large region with very differerent climates. Depends which part you want to stay at, the coast in winter is fairly mild but can have cold days and nights, the inland region can get very cold in winter and obviously the mountains freezing. I dont know what kind of places you are looking at but many homes ive seen in Murcia have heating and air con for summer!

Like 0      
06 Sep 2012 6:58 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Gcarton.

One bottle of gas seems very little as one 'bar' of gas burns for just around 30 hours.

I fitted a gas tap in the pipe to my fire so I can run it at less than one bar, but even then  I use more than one bottle over the winter.

Like 0      
06 Sep 2012 7:35 PM by moggy Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

Hi there,from some one who has lived in the Mazarron Area for the last 7 years,yes the dreaded Camposol but we love it,it can get very cold here in the winter.like most ex pats we though Spain was hot all the year round.

We have a portable gas heater in the lounge,but the spanish houses are just not built  for cold weather,in fact some times it is warmer sitting on the terrace than in the house.But at least we have shorter winters here.Saying that I have just purchased my fleecy nightware  from Primark ready for the cold evenings.and we were quite surprised to see how many ex-pats had installed central heating on Camposol.But still love living here and just put on a extra jumper.

Maureen.

Like 0      
06 Sep 2012 11:16 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
I agree with Moggy that there's an assumption it's hot all year round, and it's just NOT! My ex had a house that was all marble and tiles - stunning, but bl**dy cold! Mine is traditional old Spanish so thick stone walls, and l hope the wood burners and little wall heaters will keep me cosy. Also, rugs down for the winter and stored away in summer. And we are still entitled to the Winter Fuel Allowance when we reach pension age!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
07 Sep 2012 8:25 AM by alfonso70 Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hmm, thanks everyone for your replies. We are looking just inland from the coast rather than high up in the mountains. So i guess aslong as we prepare ourselves properly (ie buy a couple of gas heaters and some nice PJ's) we will probably make it though the winter.

Guess it can't be any worse than South Wales with only storage heaters!!!!

Like 0      
07 Sep 2012 8:33 AM by cazzy Star rating in Inland Andalucia. 180 posts Send private message

I would recommend an eco pellet burner, we installed one last year. The heat is great and it is cheap to run. We wish we had done it sooner, after spending many winters round a portable gas heater.

Like 0      
07 Sep 2012 10:26 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Can you say more about this Eco-pellet burner, Cazzy? Is it free-standing or does it need a chimney/flue? Where do you get the pellets?

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 10:48 AM by Lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

Lifeline´s avatar

March through to November - great weather. Having said that Easter can be the same temperatures as the UK. 

December through to February- cold apart from about five hours in the daytime when it is possible to have Summer clothes on so you need to keep them around. About 4 o'clock the cold starts to come in fast but in 4 years we have never seen frost and have hardly any rain. The wind can be bitter at times.

We have storage heaters in every room, the bathrooms are cold but the SUN shines so much that it does not feel a bit like the UK where Winter seems to go on for ever. Electric bills are high but it evens out over the year.

Hardest time for us is August when the children are on holiday and they really can't go out until almost dark when it cools down.

School holidays here are for 12 weeks and we are on the very last week!

Daveil

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 1:46 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

wow- where can I buy a portable gas heater that only uses 1 bottle all winter?! We'd all like one of those!  Many  wealthy people on Camposol have central heating, and are very smug about how cosy they are-I don't, I have a fitted gas fire that is greedy for gas. Wish we had installed a wood burner, but there again, wood is not cheap, and it's messy. We do have so called economy electric thermostatically controlled heaters, but too expensive to run  more than a couple of hours a day. We have had frost several times, enough to scrape off the windscreen. Some people with solar heating found their pipes had burst one particularly hard winter. the temp in my lounge has been 10 degrees. It is often warmer outside. You could use the bathrooms as a fridge. It is rubbish to say that you only need heating for a few weeks a year-4-5 months more like it. We arrived in Spain 11 years ago, in May, and I wore a fleece some evenings. I would like to invite Ian Duncan Smith to stay overnight in my villa when it's at its coldest! Unfortunatetly some ex pats don't do us a favour by stating that they sunbathe in their bikinis on Christmas day, eat outside all winter, just putting on a jumper if it's extra cold. Some firms offer double glazing, but it's useless in these villas with their concrete walls. Believe me I look forward to spending Christmas with my family, in a cosy ,centrally heated house. I've known some here go to the UK especially to get away from the cold here!

Another fallacy is that we don't get much rain. Yes, this year has been exceptionally dry, but normally we get a lot of often torrential rain, which is worse because the Spanish don't believe in drains. When it's sahara rain it's an absolute nightmare-ask anyone jet washing their brown streaked walls.

I've heard Spain described as a cold country with a hot summer, or in my own words, freeze or fry!

I await the onslaught now!

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 4:50 PM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

Camposol, I find your sarcasm offensive. I didn't say we lived "inland" at Camposol where it is freezing. Yes we used one gas bottle only last winter. Yes it was very mild. Yes we are on the coast and it is south facing top floor appartment, double glazed and well built. I can't imagine hiding a stash of gas bottles. Please respect other users on this site when they are giving input.

Regards

Guy

This message was last edited by gcarton on 09/09/2012.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 7:34 PM by cazzy Star rating in Inland Andalucia. 180 posts Send private message

The pellet burner has a small flue, ours goes straight out the wall so it can't be seen. They can be free standing or they can be built in. They can also run radiators. They start at about 1,000 euro and the pellets are about 3.5 euro a bag. We have a 13kw fire and one bag gives us about 10 hours heat. The fires are programable, so nice and warm when you get up in the morning! Pellets are readily available.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 8:40 PM by JohnKath Star rating. 157 posts Send private message

The best thing we did for the trip down in our van full of possions was to buy a new king size electric blanket from Lidl and from night one we were cozy from Jan through March then it was summer again. We get it out of the wardrobe every Jan and away in March. We have other heating in the house now but thar first winter we had none and the blanket was a life saver. 1/2 hr before bed and we are fine.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2012 9:12 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
QUOTE:
 Camposol, I find your sarcasm offensive. I didn't say we lived "inland" at Camposol where it is freezing. Yes we used one gas bottle only last winter. Yes it was very mild. Yes we are on the coast and it is south facing top floor appartment, double glazed and well built. I can't imagine hiding a stash of gas bottles. Please respect other users on this site when they are giving input.
Regards
Guy
END QUOTE

Hi Guy - just thought l'd let you know that you may have been the victim of Identity Theft. Someone using your User Name ripped into me on another thread because my experience of money transfers was different from theirs, AND criticised me for being a relatively new poster. I agree with you that everyone's experience is valid and their input should be respected. So l wonder who this other gcarton was, passing himself off as you???

Like 0      
10 Sep 2012 11:40 AM by Lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

Lifeline´s avatar

Not happy the way this thread is going. 

Daveil

Like 0      
10 Sep 2012 12:09 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

it seems that the pellet stove is similar to old hopper fed solid fuel appliences, but with forced airflow like modern gas boilers, though manufacturers still recomend a free flue if poss, to cover electrical power cut problems.

They are complex and expensive and once in common use fuel costs may rise as happened here with government incentives to push log burners.

Storage also has to be available.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
10 Sep 2012 7:50 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

gcarton-didn't realise I was being sarcastic- someone else thought 1 bottle used over winter was surprising.  For you at least, the winter fuel bill is low. Glad you said Camposol was freezing in winter- yes it is,  due  in part to the concrete shell of villas.  It also appears that our area is colder than many other s in Spain-don't know why. Certainly the chimneys are smoking for 4-5 months here, none of this "put on an extra cardigan" or "we eat outside at 7pm". The winter fuel payment is sorely needed!

Like 0      
02 Oct 2012 5:04 PM by LlegarALasEstrellas Star rating in United Kingdom (BHX .... 58 posts Send private message

LlegarALasEstrellas´s avatar

To come back to the original post - it depends to some degree on the area and more importantly your own comfort levels, but for me I 

find the depths of winters on the coast to be too cold without some form of heating. I tend to feel the cold more the average person, but on the Mar Menor coast in winter, I go use heating from the mid/late November through to the end of Feburary, and most of all (i.e. sometimes during the day) in December and January.

It is also true that quite often it can be quite comfortable outside with a jacket or fleece, but inside it's fluffy socks and huddle in a dressing gown and fluffy PJs cold - the insulation in most buildings in Murcia (and in Alicante) really isn't that great.

See if you can find a place with air con though, since you might luck out and get one that works as a heater as well and gives a much nicer heat than the bottle gas stoves do as they dehumidify the air as well.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking for a Community Administrator - 2 posts
change community status - 1 posts
Form 210 - 1 posts
change community status - 0 posts
TEFL or equivalent English teacher wanted - 0 posts
Easyjet introduce allocated seating - 19 posts
Delicious, exciting and easy food, from an english girl...in spain - 0 posts
Wanted: experiences with the Spanish property market - 0 posts
parking in Ikea and then getting tram into Murcia - 1 posts
Can I fly back from holiday with cigarette? - 8 posts
Unsure where to put this, Avalon Funeral Plans in the News!!!!!!! - 7 posts
IS IT LEGAL FOR DEVELOPER TO SELL A PROPERTY THAT YOU HAVE A LEGAL AND FINANCIAL INTEREST? - 0 posts
Wanted Long Term Rental in Murcia - 1 posts
Should you pay a speeding fine from Spain once you're back in the UK? - 153 posts
Areas of Spain that have the nicer weather in early October? - 19 posts
Hopeing to move to Spain - 8 posts
What causes fire? - 3 posts
Solicitor Advice - In process of buying - 2 posts
Bakery/cake course spain - 0 posts
AUSTRALIAN/SPANISH DUAL CITIZENSHIP RIGHTS - 10 posts
Opel Zafira 7 seater for sale - 0 posts
Fiesta Titanium 5 door - 0 posts
Statement card from Clinic?? - 12 posts
ANYONE HEARD OF THIS GROUP - 1 posts
Responsible rental coordinator, house minder Costa Brava area - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 62

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x