Wot no heating??

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Feb 2013 8:52 PM by chris k Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Winter fuel payment?   get away with you. Live in the UK, pay tax in the UK, get the payment. Simple.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2013 9:47 PM by chrisinspain Star rating in Los Alcazares. 195 posts Send private message

chrisinspain´s avatar

Or live in the UK and pay tax until you retire, then sod off abroad still get the winter fuel allowance and spend iy on wine!!! And no I'm not retired and don't get the winter fuel allowance, I just work hard here in Spain but if you have worked all your life and paid into the system then why not

Air Conditioning, Energy Assessor+Technical Services,

chris@homecomforts.es   

http://www.homecomforts.es/

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 8:20 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Chris,

Winter fuel payment?   get away with you. Live in the UK, pay tax in the UK, get the payment. Simple.

Chris,   Not sure how you came to post this but, following you maybe off thread,  I recently had a letter published in a freebie paper, at the request of the editor, telling readers that ex-pats who moved to Spain before they claimed the Allowance ( incorrectly called Winter Fuel Allowance, as there is no mention in the legislation about winter, temperature nor where one lives) that they had a right to claim,  The DWP changed their interpretation following an EU Court of Justice Ruling.

In response to my letter, a reader, just like Chris,  wrote that I had a cheek to claim the allowance as I did not pay my taxes in UK.  My reply letter explained that like many others on UK Government  employee pensions I did pay tax in UK, over £60,000 since moving to Spain and that because of the double taxation agreement  I was unable to choose to pay in Spain, which I would prefer.

For those who still have not claimed the WFA for 2012 / 2013 and would like to, they still have until 31st March to submit their claim.  The forms are on the internet (private message me if you cannot find them)

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 9:57 AM by chrisinspain Star rating in Los Alcazares. 195 posts Send private message

chrisinspain´s avatar

Not sure which Chris you were replying to but I wholeheartedly agree, you should be entitled to get it whereever you live

Air Conditioning, Energy Assessor+Technical Services,

chris@homecomforts.es   

http://www.homecomforts.es/

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 9:58 AM by chris k Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Are any of you paying nearly 2,000 Euro a year for your heating bills?  No, I thought not..

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 10:06 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

chrisinspain

Sorry, I should have used the whole name,  it was chris k

But I see he now Chris k thinks that only those who pay £2,000 or more, on heating should get it. As I said the legistlation does not mention temperature nor where one lives, or what they pay.  If it did those in Scotland should have a lot more than those in Devon.   

I wonder if he would like to us who live in Spain to send back some of our pension as its cheaper to live in Spain than in UK . 

I wonder what he thinks not having a vote in the UK is worth,  albeit that, like many,  I pay my tax there ?

This message was last edited by johnzx on 28/02/2013.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 10:14 AM by chris k Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

The payment was introduced to help older people who were staggering under their fuel bills, this from the government website. The 2,000 Euro figure I used is now the average in the UK. I wonder what the average is in Spain. Seems like a bit of the 'best of both worlds' approach to me. I like Spain, I spend 6 weeks a year at my friend's place in the mountains of Andalusia and it gets damned cold there I know, BUT it also gets warm, unlike the UK where this year it has been damned cold and cold and, it seems, always wet,

Overview

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 July 1951. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

Most payments are made automatically between November and December. You should get your money by Christmas.

You should get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit or Child Benefit).

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 10:18 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

QUOTE "You should get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit"

Precisely

Thanks for that Chris k,

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 10:20 AM by chris k Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Like I said - best of both worlds - go get it - claim form is on the website - I couldn't include the link as this forum forbids it

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 10:24 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Chris K  its at:-   Google search:-     DWP wfa   and follow links.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 3:19 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

QUOTE "You should get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit"

John...You don't have to have a state pension to get the winter fuel allowance, it's done automatically when you reach 60...they tell you.

I have to go back to work now.....i have a million benefit cheats depending on me.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 3:22 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi Baz

John...You don't have to have a state pension to get the winter fuel allowance, it's done automatically when you reach 60...they tell you.

But not so

I have to go back to work now.....i have a million benefit cheats depending on me.

Glad to know someone took over when I retired !

Like 0      
12 Feb 2014 6:21 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

you don't get a state pension until you are 65

you can get a winter fuel allowance when you are 60 but you have to apply for it

Like 0      
12 Feb 2014 6:57 PM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

Was just reading through this thread and was reminded of Campasol commenting that the "wealthy" owners on Campasol have installed central heating. I have never heard of anyone who could afford to have a heating system installed being described as wealthy, a bit of an exaggeration i think.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2014 7:48 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Eileen, I have never heard of anyone who could afford to have a heating system installed being described as wealthy,

Campo did no say one must be wealthy to do it,   but that those who are wealthy, have done it. 

Like 0      
13 Feb 2014 2:53 PM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

Maybe I misunderstood, it's not only the "smug, wealthy" people who can afford to make their lives far more comfortable, lots of people can but they choose not to. Aren't people contrary.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2014 3:29 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I can't be bothered  to go back in this old thread to see what I actually said, but, okay, so you don't need to have won the lottery to do it , but it is expensive. Even with CH ,in an uninsulated house with tiled walls etc you are paying to heat the outside. You would need to be wealthy to change all the windows, though!

I do regret not installing a wood burner, as the installed gas fire gobbles gas.

Oh well, back to my trusty mobile gas heater, blanket and hot water bottle, all ready for the evening's viewing.  Luckily all TV channels unchanged!

This message was last edited by camposol on 13/02/2014.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2014 3:58 PM by sox Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

What is the current temperature ?  I am in Mazarron next week and was hoping I would be in shorts and enjoying some warm sunshine, didnt think I would need a hot water bottle etc.   Can I still get Spanish tv channels? Thank you.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2014 4:10 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

The temp was 21 c today, and yes, people were walking about in t shirts and shorts,  and the sunshine was lovely, but in the evening the temp plummets. Don't know what heating you have in your accomodation, but bring something warm, as many places are not insulated. I wear cosy pyjamas and bedsocks, haven't got out the electric blanket yet, though!

We were lucky as we didn't lose any channels on Camposol with a 1.45 dish, but those with smaller dishes have lost some channels.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2014 4:40 PM by sox Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

Thank you very much, the apartment has electric heaters
hopefully they are suffice for the evenings.
The only TV aerial I have is an indoor portable, this has worked
fine in the past and gets about 30 channels, and a few radio
channels as well.
Thank you.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking for a Community Administrator - 2 posts
change community status - 1 posts
Form 210 - 1 posts
change community status - 0 posts
TEFL or equivalent English teacher wanted - 0 posts
Easyjet introduce allocated seating - 19 posts
Delicious, exciting and easy food, from an english girl...in spain - 0 posts
Wanted: experiences with the Spanish property market - 0 posts
parking in Ikea and then getting tram into Murcia - 1 posts
Can I fly back from holiday with cigarette? - 8 posts
Unsure where to put this, Avalon Funeral Plans in the News!!!!!!! - 7 posts
IS IT LEGAL FOR DEVELOPER TO SELL A PROPERTY THAT YOU HAVE A LEGAL AND FINANCIAL INTEREST? - 0 posts
Wanted Long Term Rental in Murcia - 1 posts
Should you pay a speeding fine from Spain once you're back in the UK? - 153 posts
Areas of Spain that have the nicer weather in early October? - 19 posts
Hopeing to move to Spain - 8 posts
What causes fire? - 3 posts
Solicitor Advice - In process of buying - 2 posts
Bakery/cake course spain - 0 posts
AUSTRALIAN/SPANISH DUAL CITIZENSHIP RIGHTS - 10 posts
Opel Zafira 7 seater for sale - 0 posts
Fiesta Titanium 5 door - 0 posts
Statement card from Clinic?? - 12 posts
ANYONE HEARD OF THIS GROUP - 1 posts
Responsible rental coordinator, house minder Costa Brava area - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 62

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x