EU Citizen (UK) & none EU Citizen wife (Thai) coming permanently to Spain.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jul 2012 5:44 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Next week my wife & I travel to Spain to look at properties with a view to moving & she has the necessary visa. (It's called a schengen visa - don't ask!).

Over the last 8 years we have obtained this visa & travelled all over the continent to at least a dozen countries, so we are very conversant with obtaining one.

I do wonder however how my wife will fair obtaining permanent residence for Spain? 

I know I will have no problem as I am retired and have the resources, and it seems just a simple task to complete the paperwork & present the documentation.

Yea I know we can hang about & go through the horrible process of her getting British Citizenship & she has all the certificates, but don't like the time span or the costs now well in excess of £1000. Incidentally she has a "permanent leave to remain visa" or "residency visa"  for the UK.

She has her own Hairdressing Business in England & eventually would like to commence the same in Spain.

We were at one time going to reside in Thailand but I don't like the distance, travelling costs & in my case difficulty with the language (can understand most of it, but have difficulty speaking it, and they have their own written characters). It is also far far hotter in Thailand, the coldest is about 28 degrees but regularly nudging 45

Like 1      
22 Jul 2012 6:31 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi Gerry
                   I have personal experience on this this so will help you all I can.

However, I don't wish to post it here as I am sure it may attract some inappropriate comments from a 'select few'

Like 2      
22 Jul 2012 9:05 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Thank you,

I have read your private message & find it quite helpful & have replied privately also.

The one problem is whether to ask for a visa in Spain or in the UK, I suppose that is for both of us as if my reading of it is correct, she has only 3 months stay, the maximum a schengen visa allows, and I, even though a EU subject have to leave after 3 months.

Incidentally I am very proud of my Thai wife, she is of good stock, has a University degree and has studied in Hong Kong, Singapore, London & Birmingham (sorry about the last one!!). She is also brilliant to be with and I don't mind guys watching her, (or is it leering!) they are only jealous most of them.

Like 1      
22 Jul 2012 9:50 PM by MANXMONKEY Star rating in Channel Islands. 81 posts Send private message

MANXMONKEY´s avatar

Hi, Great that your wife managed to get into Birmingham.  One of the world's recognised proper Red Brick Universities and very difficult to get into, especially for traditiional academic subjects like History and Philosophy. No need to apologise but maybe you are not from academia so didn't realize that your wife's achievements are actually greater than you realised. Typical Thai, modest. Typical Brit, saying she's of good stock....no seriously her qualifications are of a world standard and that people not from Academia don't recognise that Warwick would be one of the best in the world for Business or Law; Loughborough for sports science etc. etc. so UK Universities are amongst the best in the world. 

Like 1      
22 Jul 2012 9:50 PM by MANXMONKEY Star rating in Channel Islands. 81 posts Send private message

MANXMONKEY´s avatar

Hi, Great that your wife managed to get into Birmingham.  One of the world's recognised proper Red Brick Universities and very difficult to get into, especially for traditiional academic subjects like History and Philosophy. No need to apologise but maybe you are not from academia so didn't realize that your wife's achievements are actually greater than you realised. Typical Thai, modest. Typical Brit, saying she's of good stock....no seriously her qualifications are of a world standard and that people not from Academia don't recognise that Warwick would be one of the best in the world for Business or Law; Loughborough for sports science etc. etc. so UK Universities are amongst the best in the world. 

Like 0      
11 May 2014 9:53 PM by MattWilkie Star rating in Worcester UK ,Cebu P.... 9 posts Send private message

MattWilkie´s avatar

Let me know how you get on with the residency please as I am a few months off yet. I am hoping to take my Mrs and kids into Spain get residency and do the commute to the UK.

The UK immigration at the moment is a farce, I meet the criteria just lack the bank statements and pay slips as I have been abroad for nearly 7 years. But by the time I have them, processed and then get delayed (as it seems to be stretching out for elections sake). I would be quicker moving to Spain, saving some money and doing the commute as I can get the family to Spain in virtually no time in comparison.

Like 0      
12 May 2014 8:32 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

When I enquired at the Spanish consulate in Manila,  if I married a Filipino whether she would get a visa to live in Spain.  Their reply a 'surprised, ' 'Well where else would she live but with you in Spain !! "·

I understand that, unlike UK, Spain signed a Directive that in effect it would be illegal to prevent a spouse living with their partner.  The process was relatively straight forward.

That was 8 years ago, but I have no reason to believe Spain's attitude has changed since then. So,  good luck.

PS  I was a bit concerned whether my wife would settle to Spain and if the 'locals' would accept her.     110% on  both.

Like 2      
12 May 2014 9:23 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Locals will accept her for sure! Spanish people are, in general terms, very open to foreigners.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 1      
26 Nov 2014 12:59 PM by MattWilkie Star rating in Worcester UK ,Cebu P.... 9 posts Send private message

MattWilkie´s avatar

How did the move go? We are currently in La Mata.

Like 0      
26 Nov 2014 7:44 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Blumey Matt that was 2 years ago & I have not written on this site for a long time as my blog was infested with trolls. Anyway the move went very well as we took a different path in that my wife obtained British Citizenship so the move was easy, But a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then...........

Like 1      
26 Nov 2014 8:20 PM by MattWilkie Star rating in Worcester UK ,Cebu P.... 9 posts Send private message

MattWilkie´s avatar

Internet trolls have to just ignore them as its the rise they are after. Good to hear you managed to move to the UK ok though. :) I've decided to move to Spain as the cost of living is cheaper and Mon - Fri I am in hotels so might as well get the sunshine at the weekends! Mainly work in large cities with airports so commute is viable.

2 years is nothing I work on a 20 year plan..lol

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Sonora ELE Language Awareness: a new way lo learn Spanish online - 0 posts
poodles - 3 posts
Refridgerated vans - 3 posts
Using a UK Registered van for business in Spain - 15 posts
Healthcare Reform for ex pats - 10 posts
England to Spain with 3 cats and a dog - 0 posts
overun with ants - 14 posts
Purchasing adjacent property to extend house in Almeria area - 1 posts
furniture for sale in Murcia - 10 posts
My Technomate 5402HD satellite receiver needs repaired - 0 posts
ROCKETING STERLING. - 7 posts
A win for people power - 0 posts
Changing Name on NIE Number paper and Spanish Driving Licence - 1 posts
WORDS FROM THE NEW GOVERNOR OF THE BANK OF SPAIN... - 2 posts
ITV & Tyres - 14 posts
embargo on my account - 2 posts
Golf Coach on board - 0 posts
The law regarding kids in front seats... - 6 posts
Reforms to health care for EU expats - - 3 posts
New join - 1 posts
COSTAS PROPERTY SHARKS ON THE PROWL - 11 posts
Graphic/Web Designer looking for room in/near villamartin *PLEASE READ* - 0 posts
A little light relief - 0 posts
New freephone number for Endesa - 5 posts
New satellite channel receivable UK TV Costa Blanca - 4seven - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x