Exchange rate if Euro collapses

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Jul 2012 11:43 AM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

what now????

30 billion should last a month or so?

Norman

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 11:55 AM by DonLochnagar Star rating in Mazarron. 161 posts Send private message

I hope it lasts my bank!

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 1:09 PM by finkies Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

The crisis's in Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy (with Ireland having succombed years before) IS NOT good news to any European Country, and even the UK, but as unser liebe Angela demonstrated, no-one in the EU really wants to risk the inevitable domino effect of any of the countries listed, failing and exiting Stage Left..

Angie Baby started off with the macho talk, but the repercussions of any of the "biggies" opting out were too horrendous to contemplate - hence the somewhat humiliating cave-in.

But in the end, I reckon that it will be "people power" who dictates what eventually happens - politicians are fire-proof until there's an election in the offing (as demonstrated in France) and then the people exercise ballot box decisions.         Just how much WILL the average Herman stand for?          Without the constant need to be bailing the sick countries out, Germany would again enjoy a superb standard of living, and they must yearn for this to re-happen..

France (at least the voters) has demonstrated its "French first" attitude: how long before Germany gets more "charity begins at home" mentality, and wonder why they should have their standards of living eroded to bail out inefficient Countries who put their own citizens and their quality of life first - essentially, on "free" money?..         

A Spanish economist friend of mine prophesised more than 2 years (when only the PIGS were a topic of concern) ago that Italy was also well down down the bumpety-bump route - unheard of at that time.

Give it time, and if some of these Countries don't actually revert to their previous currency, a "two tier" euro is well possible.     Germany, Austria, Holland & France possibly playing in the Premier League, and the rest in the 3rd Division.     The Premier League could possibly take Belgium & Luxembourg with them (although they may not particularliy want Belgium) and then go it alone.      The rest of the current EU would have to sort out their own affairs, and survive as best they could.

A two tier currency has happened beforee (N. & S. Ireland being just one example) and whilst not ideal, it survived for a long time.

Watch this space! 

This message was last edited by finkies on 11/07/2012.

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 1:36 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Dear All,

what now????

30 billion should last a month or so?

Norman

I think this just about covers the Bankia bailout announced recently.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 1:40 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Sanchez,

so what is happening to all this "get out of Spain" money ?

is it being changed into other currencies?

has the flight from the euro already begun?

is the euro done for?

puzzled again

Norman, I can only speak about my group of Spanish friends, many of whom work in Gibraltar and/or have strong links to the UK/USA.  So their money is either sitting in Gibraltar, UK or US bank accounts.  So sterling and dollars.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 3:01 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

What is a Billion?

I don't  mean how many naughts but if I say a thousand pounds we know what that is but a billion !

A little help:-

A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 3:11 PM by DonLochnagar Star rating in Mazarron. 161 posts Send private message

You only know what it is when you've got it.

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 5:46 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Johzx

or how much the UK government spend before lunch and how much they spend after lunch each and every day of the year -- and it's going up!

David

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 10:13 PM by michaelwr Star rating. 96 posts Send private message

I expected all mortgages would convert to Euro's after all my mortgage else do they not face another meltdown as assets become priced in pts, incur even greater negative equity forcing people to just walk away even if they are one of the few that can afford the replayments.  Can't see how this would be in anyones interest

Like 0      
12 Jul 2012 9:54 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This was the thread starter:-

I just heard on the BCC a quote from one who should know about these things, that if the Drachma replaces the Euros it should do so at parity:  1 for 1.

If that happened in Spain maybe the Euro would be replaced with a New Peseta (NP) which also could have the same value as 1 euro at the moment of changed, which would be say at midnight one night,  No transition period.

Thus all mortgages, bank loans etc. owed to enties within Spain would become NP debts. That would avoid all currency conversions. Eg a 100,000 euro debt (mortgage) would become a 100,000 NP debt.

The NP could then float immediately and find its own level against other currencies

I do not anticipate the demise of the Euro in Spain in the future but I think Greece cannot be that far off.

What do you guys thinks of that ?

Like 0      
12 Jul 2012 11:18 AM by midasgold Star rating in Mijas.. 93 posts Send private message

Hi jXX.

Yes but if this were to happen the NP

would suffer a 50% devaluation within

the following 24 hrs.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2012 12:06 PM by wodger Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

I have just closed my Santander UK (ex Alliance & Leicester) account, I know the UK Govt. have stated that they will cover up to £30,000 of loss per person, if the UK outlets go t#ts up. I don't trust the present administration as they will do a "U" turn if  things look dodgy. I am afraid that I have very little faith in Spanish banks at the moment, If one is in trouble, then there is a good chance that they all will incur losses. I guess that they are "all in it together" & all have funds at risk in rival banks.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2012 2:51 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Midasgold

This a bold and sweeping statement - got  anything to back it up with?

Devalue it would but I don't see how you can say it would be 50%.

In any case this is all just fantasy, when Spain is in receipt of all the 100bn bailout does anyone really think they will be allowed to leave!!

Like 0      
12 Jul 2012 3:02 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Quote:

All 16 of Greece's eurozone neighbours led by Germany have put together a rescue package. This includes bilateral loans from countries inside the common currency area as well as money and technical advice from the IMF. Germany has been the main contributor followed by France. In May 2010 the EU and IMF provided €110bn in bailout loans to help Greece pay its creditors. This wasn't enough; a second €130bn bailout was agreed in early 2012.

Team GB.

Quote:-   In any case this is all just fantasy, when Spain is in receipt of all the 100bn bailout does anyone really think they will be allowed to leave!!

Total lent to Greece,  in region of 240 billion euros.

That makes Spain's 100 billion look small and there every chance Greece will leave the Euro in the near future.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2012 3:13 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

John

The difference being though Spain is the 4th largest economy in the EU

However for the same reason I don't think Greece will leave either, do you think the EU sorry Germany is going to write off the 240bn and say 'oh well we tried'

Like 0      
12 Jul 2012 5:17 PM by midasgold Star rating in Mijas.. 93 posts Send private message

Hi team gb.

A bold statement yes !!!!

If you think the Spanish N.P will have the SAME value as the euro

then dream on. What you are saying is that the German industrial wealth and efficiency

is the equivelent to Pedro and his donkey !  Can I back this up ? - Yes - the peoples money is

leaving Spain and  heading for safe havens  i.e. the German banks. Cold fact !!!

Like 0      
12 Jul 2012 5:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Midas

I said;.  If that happened in Spain maybe the Euro would be replaced with a New Peseta (NP) which also could have the same value as 1 euro at the moment of changed, which would be say at midnight one night,  No transition period

Like 0      
12 Jul 2012 5:33 PM by midasgold Star rating in Mijas.. 93 posts Send private message

John zx

Ok - I wil go with that - (moment of exchange)

BUT within 24 hrs after I am convinced a devaluation is the ONLY option.  

Like 0      
12 Jul 2012 5:37 PM by dartboy Star rating. 95 posts Send private message

if spain were to leave they would devalue the np by printing money the same way the uk did.this would help their exports become more sort after and help on the job front,short term i don't see them leaving.Long term i don't see them leaving as a bad thing they could just sit at the edge with a lower valued currency and still do business with the rest of europe in the same way they do now but with more attractive prices and it would give the tourist industry a boost as well

Like 0      
12 Jul 2012 6:43 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

dartboy

interesting post - if I understand what you are saying Spain will be better off by having lower unit cost, probably selling the same or similar amount of goods to the EU at a lower cost but as a net importer paying more for products and commodoties most of which are prices in USD or Euros. Does that work?

Also since the Tourist industry(a low margin industry) represents circa 10% of Spain GDP you'll need to attract an awful lot of tourists with money to spend to make a real difference.

David

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Help I need a good solicitor!!! - 9 posts
cous cous - 1 posts
pool bits,,,, - 0 posts
Contents of 3 bed apartment for sale urgently - 5 posts
AFOS - 0 posts
Aifos latest con - 7 posts
Community Administrators - 43 posts
Good evening everyone - 7 posts
How do you query a bill/report a possible leak with Aguas de Murcia (EMUASA)? - 8 posts
VAN HIRE TO SPAIN - 5 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL TAXATION - 6 posts
Tarragona???? - 1 posts
Royal Air Forces Association Dinner Dance - 0 posts
Pool problem - 3 posts
moving from builders supply to meters - 0 posts
Gazebo for sale - 1 posts
community pool rules regarding life guards etc - 2 posts
Gibraltar tobacco prices 2012 - 3 posts
Fantasy Homes By The Sea - 1 posts
Jet 2 sharp practice - 3 posts
Jet 2 sharp practice - 0 posts
Gelish nail salon in Benijofar? - 13 posts
Hellish nail salon in Benijofar? - 3 posts
Spanish Airport Tax Increases from 1st July - 22 posts
The need for more effective monitoring systems and enforceable regulatory controls - 21 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 73

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x