Should We Move Back to England ????????

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Jun 2007 1:30 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Grazy, I don´t know if this will help but ????

In 1994 I sold my business in the UK and moved to a small Island in the Outer Hebrides, about 60 miles into the Atlantic.

My plan was to learn to Paint, Write/Journalism and read about 600 books that I had collected and educate myself to make up for a non-university education.

My family and friends thought we were crazy, but my wife and I had fallen in love with the idea of living the opt-out lifestyle, so we packed our Land-rover to the roof and off we set.

After six years of a fabulous and inredsibly varied time we had accomplished all we set out to do and loads more besides.  We were very proud of ourselves and as satisfied as anyone in the world could hope to be.

I then shocked my wife by saying it was time to move on to new adventures, within 6 months we had moved to Spain, my wife still shell-shocked from the sudden move.

Our friends and family asked why we had failed!!!  They could not understand that realising a dream is not where you stop.  We must constantly challenge ourselves with "ventures new".  I knew in my heart it was time to move on before we became institutionalised and stagnent. 

We are just as happy and satisfied here in Spain (Spain and the Spanish have been very kind to us) .

In summary,  anywhere you live can be the happiest times of your lives.  Look at your desicion as a new and exciting challenge, be sure to have confidence in the decision you make and see it through with vigour.

I doubt it will be your last move in life so enjoy this period and plan the next and the next and the next.

You sound like a bit of an adventurer yourself, you made an exciting change to your lives 21 years ago.

Good luck and as my wife says, "don´t take care take risks"

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
29 Jun 2007 8:02 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Gillespie

just like to say 'well done' for such a positive post.

As i have rambled on about many times, we are in a 5 year (and no end in sight) very expensive battle to get our deposit back, due to huge breaches of contract. The deposit  cost and stress of losing all our savings fighting for it back, and having our dreams shattered has taken its toll, but it's great to read about those who have made big decisions that turned out well. I'm really looking forward to the day we can start making positive plans for the future. I'm very confident we will win our case, but we are living a bit under a cloud while in the middle of it all.

I still feel the last line of your post with your wife's comments are right though............ What a dull life we would lead if we didn't take risks now and again.

All the best.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2007 2:42 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hi Gillespie - loved the posting. Its great to hear other people out there unafraid to go fot it!

I have lived my life jumping in and out of various forms of adventures, some lower risks than others but all with their own trials and tribulations. I have noticed that although the children have had a fairly stable upbringing due to being in Spain from an early age, they too are willing to grab a challenge by the throat and live life to the full.

Good on you and anyone else who follows their dreams

May father once said to me 'better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all' 

Works for me!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
03 Jul 2007 10:35 AM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Hi Goodstich, thanks for the comments,  I´m not so sure I could stay as positive if I had been on the receiving end of a scam as you have suffered.  You seem to have a strong constitution, I hope it sees you through to satisfaction.

Thanks too Rixxi,  we all know you are a bit of an adventurer   Don´t know if I could have done it with children in toe,  It was tough enough with 2 phsycolgically disturbed Border Collies!!

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
03 Jul 2007 1:12 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Hi Gillespie

thanks for your interest. Many people were conned in to completing, with threats of the developer going bust and the site not being finished if we didn't all complete, and this was despite massive breaches of contract. and no LFO at the time. After  nearly 5 years of lies, i couldn't face throwing any more good money at this rip-off. So we had no option, but to fight for our deposit back.

As for moving back to the UK, well despite all the bad weather, (and i've had some great warm and dry holidays touring Spain by car and motorbike) we feel far better making plans in the UK, until big changes are made in the Spanish justice system. .............but one day, who knows?

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 2:07 PM by dunner Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Another moaning Brit. why dont you all go back to England or whatever you call it now, your passports should read (no culture of our own)

Good riddance to you, see if you can find another Country to pillage and moan about. Youve nearly done the lot now.

Leave Spain to those who apprecieate it and its European culture.( not fish n chips , tatooed morons, and drunken louts, oops sorry didint mean to have a go at your culture)

bye, bye.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 2:16 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

To quote Fibs - 'blimey'!!

This message was last edited by Annie21 on 7/4/2007.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 3:24 PM by noelandwilma Star rating in Loughborough/Porto F.... 86 posts Send private message

dunner, where on earth are you coming from?? Nowhere on this thread is anything said about Spain in a derogatory way, rather, people here are suggesting that Spain has an awful lot going for it. In fact the only one 'moaning' it seems is you!!!

Goodstitch has had bad luck with rogue developers, has lost an awful lot of money and is merely saying that the place for them to regroup is in familiar territory, i.e. England. The spanish justice system is entirely different to ours and is a minefield even for those who practice law in Spain (read other threads).

Why you have to wade in with a tirade against the British is beyond me, there are good and bad wherever you go and on this site we seem to be blessed with mainly good - occasional ODD ones do come in but they really are the minority.

We Brits are equally blessed by having an eclectic mix of cultures which over the centuries have created the well rounded and accepting people we now are.

May I suggest you read more of the conversations and opinions on this site and stop Brit bashing for the sake of it!

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 3:39 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

noelandwilma

Don't feed the trolls. Ignore them and they go away.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 3:43 PM by noelandwilma Star rating in Loughborough/Porto F.... 86 posts Send private message

LauryC,

fair comment, just saw red, all ok now though.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 3:45 PM by dunner Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

España no quiere a usted o su cultura.

Adiós.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 3:47 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

noelandwilma

quite right thanks, i noticed a post strapline on another site that sums up what we are saying!

'' Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience''

........enough said.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 3:59 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Always someone isn't there ?

"Adiós" to you, too, Dunner. Come back only PLEASE when you decide to be civil to your fellow members !

There's a code of conduct in this forum !

FORUM RULES: Please read the forum rules before posting.

BE FRIENDLY - Tempers can get frayed sometimes but please try and be polite and friendly in your responses, even if others do not agree with your comments."

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/4/2007.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 4:13 PM by noelandwilma Star rating in Loughborough/Porto F.... 86 posts Send private message

Adiós y puede el dios bendecirle

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 10:51 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Noeland wilma

That must be a really naughty word, can't find it in my spanish dictionary. Spill the beans.

Dummer, I can't go back to England, I'm Welsh. What nationality are you out of interest?

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 11:13 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
It's God Bless You.  Noel and Wilma are being very nice.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 11:18 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Bob's correct Gina. Put it into Google Language Tools in  http://www.google.co.uk/  & it comes up with "Good bye and can the God bless to him" !

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 11:34 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Bob & Mor,

Thanks for that. I've got my info for September and am enroling for night school so will be able to join in. Very Spanish where we are so a real must. Looking forward to it.  

Like 0      
05 Jul 2007 7:43 AM by noelandwilma Star rating in Loughborough/Porto F.... 86 posts Send private message

bobaol has it, the problem with Spanish/English translations is that there is often no straightforward translation.

I tend to use babelfish for words I don't know but the explanation is often confusing

Like 0      
05 Jul 2007 8:05 AM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

I think it means Goodbye and may God Bless Him,  but it could be interpreted as Goodbye and good riddance

I prefer the much nicer "

adiós y puede él se cae abajo de un hoyo

John

This message was last edited by johnone on 7/5/2007.

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Delyn and Robert Hughes - 2 posts
sandy says hi from los olivos - 3 posts
Vera Playa, Vera - 3 posts
habitation cert - 3 posts
pollipop - 2 posts
Drive to Spain - 8 posts
Request - 4 posts
Hi! New here.... - 2 posts
Kathy and Jim Lawson - 2 posts
Apart-Hotel - 2 posts
Costs and Proceedures of buying in Spain - 4 posts
HI LOW - 200 posts
El Rincon Toscano Estapona - 3 posts
Anybody over here interested in a bargain "finca" just of the beach at La Cala de Mijas? - 14 posts
Fan Belts... - 21 posts
Community Meetings and Debtors - 3 posts
Community Meetings and Debtors - 7 posts
Palmera Properties - 5 posts
Condado de Alhama - 1 posts
snagging - 0 posts
Apartment needed for client. - 9 posts
Question for Maria de Castro - 1 posts
Spanish Taxes - 0 posts
OFF PLAN BUILD - 0 posts
Increasing supply - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 78

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x