Drive to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by Mazarron Eye Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Mazarron Eye´s avatar

We are thinking to drive to Spain late December this year, dose anyone know what is the road situation across the Pyrenees?

Is it bad enough to use  Snow Chains?

Regards

Ami

Like 0      
21 Jun 2007 11:50 AM by Gevaudan Star rating in Málaga. 16 posts Send private message

Gevaudan´s avatar

Hello Mazarron Eye,

I live in Málaga and I am not an expert in the Pyrenees area, but I would consider the following:

- Have you already decided which route to follow down France? Will you go close to the Atlantic motorway or will you go down the Rhône river valley motorway in the east?

- I think the previous point is important because, apart from the snow / ice situation in the Pyrenees roads, depending on where in Spain you are going to drive in, you´ll have the choice of going south close to the Mediterranean or through the Castilian Plateau.

- Depending on the weather reports for those dates, you can cross the French-Spanish border in the West (Vasque country), in the middle of the Pyreness or in the East (Catalunya). It is also important to mind about snow / ice in roads NOT ONLY in the Pyrenees but also in the Castilian plateau, which is common some weeks during the winter.

-SO, if I my destination were somewhere along the Mediterranea coast, I would go through Languedoc-Roussilon / Catalunya border.  If you´re going any other place not the coast I would consider instead the other option depending on the weather report for those dates.

Good Luck!

Like 0      
21 Jun 2007 12:49 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Hi Ami,

Welcome to the forum!  Loads of useful info here.  Try this link - quite a few things posted about driving through France to Spain.

www.eyeonspain.com/Secure/ForumPosts.aspx

If that doesn't help, look under other threads (maybe do a search of the forum) and you'll probably find the answer to your query.

All the best!

Like 0      
22 Jun 2007 8:22 AM by Mazarron Eye Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Mazarron Eye´s avatar

Hi Gevaudan,

Thank you for the quick and a nice reply.

We are planning to drive to Mazrron and planning the route on the Sat/Nav which suggested the best route is via the Pyrenees- of coarse it can't predict the weather there for that period.

Your suggestion are very helpful.

Thanks

Ami

Like 0      
22 Jun 2007 10:57 AM by Gevaudan Star rating in Málaga. 16 posts Send private message

Gevaudan´s avatar

Hi again Ami,

Maybe it´s worth a visit www.viamichelin.com, which I´ve tried in the past with good results.

I´ve checked options from Northern France to Mazarrón and:

1- Through the Pyrenees = Shortest (less driving) and Economical (less Petrol Costs + Road tax costs). Possible snow / ice.

2- Through Languedoc-Roussillon / Catalunya = Quickest. (This option is recommended by viamichelin). No snow / ice.

Regards,

Gevaudan

Like 0      
28 Jun 2007 8:10 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Mazarron Eye

Welcome to EOS

My Brother drove from the UK to Costa Blanca, leaving the UK Boxing Day and travelling via the Pyrenees

YES, he DID use and need snow chains!!!

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
24 Sep 2007 12:18 AM by bishopsmead Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi,

I drive down every year sometimes in the winter (December/January) and sometimes Spring (March) or Autumn (October). I have been caught out in snow in January but generally the main routes are kept pretty clear and if it is likely to snow I will use the peage (toll motorway) instead of my normal route. I have experienced worse weather over the massif centrale in France near to Clermont Ferrand (Millau area) than the Pyrenees. If you call at the major service stations around Bordeaux on the way down they all sell snow chains in winter, so you generally don't need to source them in U.K. (I think they are cheaper in France also). If you are not used to driving long distances in U.K. (and I would for safety anyway) make sure that your car is well serviced before you set out - especially brakes, and check all tyre pressures and oil/water levels etc. every day. Check what spares and safety equipment you need to carry also as breking down in the middle of Spain can involve a lengthy wait and can be expensive if spares for your vehicle are not readily available. Satnav can be really useful; especially around the Madrid ring road (I always used to get lost at least once per visit before I had Satnav). Just don't set it to "shortest distance" setting or it will route you through the back streets of every major town en route!!!!

Anyone who wants any info on routes/hotels/stopping places etc. please msg me.

Have a safe trip . . .

Like 0      
24 Sep 2007 8:43 AM by Mazarron Eye Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Mazarron Eye´s avatar

Hi Bishopsmead,

Thank you very much for your info I will certainly take your suggestions on broad, especially not taking the snow chains from here but buy them there if require.

Ami

Like 0      
25 Sep 2007 6:33 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
If you go via tulouse it misses out the massif central as it runs along the edge of it and misses out the millau bridge as well

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Request - 4 posts
Hi! New here.... - 2 posts
Kathy and Jim Lawson - 2 posts
Apart-Hotel - 2 posts
Costs and Proceedures of buying in Spain - 4 posts
HI LOW - 200 posts
El Rincon Toscano Estapona - 3 posts
Anybody over here interested in a bargain "finca" just of the beach at La Cala de Mijas? - 14 posts
Fan Belts... - 21 posts
Community Meetings and Debtors - 3 posts
Community Meetings and Debtors - 7 posts
Palmera Properties - 5 posts
Condado de Alhama - 1 posts
snagging - 0 posts
Apartment needed for client. - 9 posts
Question for Maria de Castro - 1 posts
Spanish Taxes - 0 posts
OFF PLAN BUILD - 0 posts
Increasing supply - 5 posts
English Registered Cars - 1 posts
Passport renewal - 29 posts
Al Andalus , Residencia in Vera, Almeria - 5 posts
What would you like to know about? - 26 posts
Mojacar/ Garrucha Rental required - 0 posts
BIG UGLEY WOOD HUT - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x