VICTORY FOR FINCA PARCS ACTION GROUP LAWSUIT 2 IN FIRST INSTANCE COURT IN HELLÍN

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jun 2012 7:38 PM by disneydog Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi Keith,

Thanks for clarification,and of course congrats on your succeses,

I was also fortunate with the help of the amazing Maria and team at Costaluz to get my principal returned from Polaris who paid up without the court judgement? the case is still awaiting court date to be heard to determine interest and costs.

So onward and upward,I am sure your high profile case will give encouragement and hope to the hundreds still awating the return of their hard earned monies.

Regards Curtis

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 5:32 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

Hi Curtis

More good work by María and her team with regards to your Polaris property!

Let's hope you are right and that the high profile of our case will encourage others with Bank Guarantee issues to work with their Lawyers and search for evidence against the bank who accepted the off-plan deposit or issued the generic Bank Guarantee.

If nothing else we have certainly heightened the awareness regarding Bank Guarantee issues and the liabilities/obligations of the Banks according to LEY 57/1968.

Kind regards

Keith

LEY 57/1968
CLICK HERE FOR THE BANK GUARANTEES IN SPAIN WEBSITE

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 6:48 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/9333798/British-expats-beat-Spanish-bank-in-six-year-property-feud.html

Daily Telegraph

British expats beat Spanish bank in six-year property feud

A Spanish bank that refused to return off-plan deposits belonging to 47 British expats who invested in a failed Spanish property development has been ordered to repay €1.5million, following a six-year legal battle.

3:27PM BST 19 Jun 2012

Known collectively as the Finca Parcs Action Group, the expats each paid between €10,000-70-000 in deposits for off-plan homes on a 'luxury development' near Murcia, only for the developer to disappear and Spain's fourth biggest savings bank, Caja de Ahorros del Mediterraneo (CAM), to withold their downpayments.

Keith Rule who has headed the action group and fought for the return of his €53,000, said: "For far too long Spain has alienated the very people who once helped the country prosper.

"Now the Spanish Government must learn important lessons from this case.

"If these types of cases are dealt with in a fair and speedy manner then maybe some of those people who have been the victims of negligence and malpractice may once again have the confidence to invest in Spanish property.

"After all that is what Spain wants and more importantly, desperately needs."

CAM bank was the sole financial entity in the project, responsible for financing the development, accepting the off-plan deposits and issuing the corresponding, legally required, bank guarantee certificates to buyers.

In 2009, four years after the first deposits were handed over, the developer abandoned the development and disappeared, having built only a fraction of the homes, while the expats were still without the required bank guarantees, despite repeated requests.

"We did everything by the book before buying into these properties so felt particularly let down when the bank pulled the rug from under our feet, said Mr Rule.

"The development was advertised in Easy Jet magazine, the sales agent was British, the developer even stated on the reservation forms that it was represented by a UK lawyer, the project was launched with a champagne reception at Chelsea Football Club surrounded by sporting celebrities - we didn't think for a minute it would all go so disastrously wrong", said Keith.

When investors realised their holiday homes would never be built, Cam bank replied that it was not obliged to return their money because they were not in receipt of the very certificates it was supposed to issue.

At the court hearing in Hellín, Spain, the judge ruled against developer Cleyton GES SL and CAM bank, referring to 'serious breaches' on behalf of the developer and an 'absolute disregard by CAM bank to the obligations imposed on financial institutions by Spanish law.'

CAM bank was nationalised by the Spanish government in 2011 and then sold to Banco Sabadell for the sum of 1€, with all future losses underwritten by the government for the following five years.

Banco Sabadell declined to comment on the ruling.

The ruling gives hope to other expats, believed to run into the thousands, who have suffered at the hands of unscrupulous Spanish banks and developers after investing in Spanish property.

There are estimated to be 700,000 unsold holiday homes in Spain, the majority of which are located along the southern coastlines, where property prices have dropped by as much as 60 per cent in certain regions.

A spokesman for the British Embassy in Spain said: "The government and British Embassy in Madrid continue to urge the Spanish authorities to seek solutions to the problems facing property owners".

LEY 57/1968

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
20 Jun 2012 12:11 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Excellent Keith!

All eyes on the enforcement process now (if they don't pay to the court within the prescribed time).....

This message was last edited by ads on 20/06/2012.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2012 11:21 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

Yes, exactly Ads.  We only have to enforce the Judgment if they don't pay by Tuesday 10 July 2012 14:30 CET.

Kind regards

Keith

LEY 57/1968

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
21 Jun 2012 2:20 PM by trowell1 Star rating. 150 posts Send private message

Well done to all

we should have some similar good news within the next few months, this ruling can only help speed things up

Like 0      
21 Jun 2012 7:12 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

Thanks trowell1 and good luck with your case.  Look forward to reading your good news soon!

Kind regards

Keith

This message was last edited by Keith110 on 21/06/2012.

LEY 57/1968

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
22 Jun 2012 10:41 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Court decission published by the General Council of Judicial Power:

http://www.poderjudicial.es/search/doAction?action=contentpdf&databasematch=AN&reference=6405938&links=57/68&optimize=20120615&publicinterface=true

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
22 Jun 2012 11:56 AM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

Further to María's link below I am pleased to say that you can now download a PDF copy of the Las Higuericas Finca Parcs Full Sentence or a PDF copy of the Summary version of the Sentence by clicking the links below:

CASO LAS HIGUERICAS - FULL SENTENCE - IN SPANISH

http://www.fincaparcsactiongroup.com/Sentencia.pdf

CASO LAS HIGUERICAS - SUMMARY SENTENCE - IN SPANISH

http://www.fincaparcsactiongroup.com/Resumen.pdf

Time permitting at some point in the future I do hope to provide a link to an English Translation of the full Sentence.

Kind regards

Keith

LEY 57/1968

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
22 Jun 2012 3:10 PM by M11block Star rating. 179 posts Send private message

Keith, we won our case, deposit, plus interest, plus legal fees back in 2010, but they didn't pay so our barrister had to go back to court to ask the judge to allow us to seize their bank accounts and/or assets.  A bank account was identified, but a complication meant that the Bank would not pay us as they were holding it as collateral against an outstanding loan of the developers. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we will get our money in July as they told us back in 2011. However, my questions is: will you have to go back to court if they do not pay up in 20 days?

Rosemary

Like 0      
22 Jun 2012 3:54 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

Hi Rosemary

Our case will only go to the Appeal Court if one or both defendants appeal the First Instance Court decision.

Even if they appeal, the principal amount of the deposits 1,494,710€ must be paid to the court by 10 July 2012 14:30 CET.

I suspect from reading your post that your Lawsuit was only against the Developer and that you had not received the legally required Bank Guarantee.  It seems you won the case against the Developer who did not pay.  Then when your Lawyer executed the Judgment a Bank Account of the Developer was located with funds.  However, the complication then came when attemping to access those funds.  The Developer must owe the Bank a considerable amount of money in unpaid loans and mortgages, so any funds in the accounts are embargoed by the Bank.  Therefore you and your Lawyer are currently unable to access those funds.

In your case it appears that the Bank were not named in the Lawsuit and therefore were not convicted by the Court.  If the Bank had been named in the Lawsuit and were convicted jointly and severally with the Developer then any embargos on the Developers bank accounts would be irrelevant.  The Bank - having been convicted by the Court would have to pay anyway.

If you have evidence that the Bank funded the developer, knowingly accepted the off-plan deposits, issued a Generic Bank Guarantee for the development and/or issued individual Bank Guarantees to other buyers then you may be able to file a separate Lawsuit against the Bank.

You say your case was won in 2010 which means it was probably submitted to the court in 2009.  At that time the concept of taking legal action against the Bank according to LEY 57/1968 was not so well known or understood, which explains why your original Lawsuit may have only been against the Developer.

I take it that the Developer did not appeal your original Judgment?

The difference and vital factor in our case was that ours was a joint Lawsuit against both the Developer and Bank - CAM (Banco Sabadell) - the bank who funded the developer and accepted the off-plan deposits - and issued Bank Guarantees to other buyers on the development who paid their deposits to the same account as us.  CAM Bank was convicted jointly and severally together with the Developer.  So if the developer does not pay then the Bank must pay as they have also been convicted by the Court.

Obviously I do not know the exact details of your case - I was just 'reading between the lines' of your post.

If I have misunderstood your case or you have any other questions please feel free to post them here.

Kind regards

Keith

LEY 57/1968

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
22 Jun 2012 4:00 PM by ChrisBW Star rating. 50 posts Send private message

Surely this is comtept of court - at least in the uk that can land you 2 years in prison.

ChrisW

Edit - Hadn't seen your post Keith, answers my point too, cheers

This message was last edited by ChrisBW on 22/06/2012.

Like 0      
22 Jun 2012 9:15 PM by M11block Star rating. 179 posts Send private message

Hi Keith, yes I think you are right in what you say, our case started in 2008 before all the information was known about Ley 57/68, our case was about the developer breaking our contract,  so it seems as you say that you hopefully won't have to go through the extra worry that we are experiencing,  waiting to get the money back after 2 judgements.

As ChrisBW says we do feel it is contempt of court if not legally, morally. Especially when we know that even though this developer/builder owes so much money, last year they started building a new estate only 7 miles away from our original sight after abandoning a hugh unfinished development, it makes you wonder where they have managed to get that money from.

Well you have all my best wishes in your succes and we will all celebrate when you get your money back. You, your lawyers and the team have worked so hard and deserve finally to have compensation and ( if you feel as we do) final closure on a very long stressful and unhappy experience.

Rosemary

Like 0      
22 Jun 2012 10:35 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

Hi Rosemary

In 2008 I doubt there was any Lawyer who would file a joint Lawsuit against the Bank & Developer.  From what you say it seems that in your case the Developer was convicted by the First Instance Court for breach of contract, then they must have appealed and the Appeal Court upheld the First Instance Court decision in your favour.

Both courts - the first instance and appeal court would have made the developer liable to return your money.  The developer has obviously ignored 2 court judgments - so yes I agree this could be considered contempt of court.

Taking into account what you say about the developer abandoning your site, only to start building a completely new development 7 miles down the road, it seems to me that the following probably happened......................

For example (the names are made up just for this example scenario):

On your site the developer, lets call him Antonio, used the company name XYZ Builders SL trading as Dreamland Spanish Villas and was funded by ZZZ Bank.

Antonio probably realised that they could never obtain enough funding to complete the huge urbanisation.  So they probably planned their 'exit' from that site by remortgaging some of the unfinished properties with additional builders mortgages from ZZZ Bank.  Once they got those mortgage funds they probably diverted that money (and probably your off-plan deposit for which you did not have a Bank Guarantee) into another company called ABC Builders SL using new bank accounts opened at AAA Bank.

Antonio then abandons your site.  XYZ Builders SL is heavily indebted to ZZZ Bank, so ZZZ Bank embargoes all the accounts.

You and other buyers then file Lawsuits against XYZ Builders SL.  You win in court but cannot execute the Judgment because ZZZ Bank has embargoed the accounts. 

Meanwhile Antonio has nicely loaded Bank Accounts at AAA Bank, with whom he has a great relationship.  They lend him bucket loads of money for the new development 7 miles away.  AAA Bank don't know about his other development that he has recently abandoned.  To them he is a good guy and someone they can hopefully make profit out of by investing in his new development.

So he starts building the new site and taking more deposis off unsuspecting purchasers who know nothing about the fact that he abandoned the previous development just 7 miles away taking loads of money with him.

Now Antonio's new limited company is called ABC Builders SL trading as More Dreamland Spanish Homes.  For now....at least....ABC Builders SL is a solvent company, but your Lawsuit was against Antonio's first company XYZ Builders SL, hence the fact that you cannot execute a Judgment against a virtually bankrupt company which is what Antonio's first company is.

I don't know anything about your case except for what you have written in the last couple of posts, so call me cynical, but I bet the scenario I have described above is not far from the truth.

If I was in your situation I would go right back to the beginning and take a close look at the original bank - ZZZ Bank.  If they were the bank that were funding Antonio's first development and knowingly accepting off-plan deposits from you and other buyers then I would investigate them further to see if they issued a Generic Bank Guarantee for the first development and if they issued any individual Bank Guarantees to other buyers on that first development.

If you can get this evidence then I would file a Lawsuit against ZZZ Bank, according to LEY 57/1968, as soon as possible.

Kind regards

Keith

LEY 57/1968

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
25 Jun 2012 1:15 PM by M11block Star rating. 179 posts Send private message

Hi Keith

Thank you for your reply and the time you spent explaining what you think may have happened. I understand what you are saying about the various banks, builders and developers and agree that this is what probably happened to us and is happening on a wide scale.  I have just been reading through my large folder on our case and still cannot believe what has happened and is being allowed to happen.

I also read through my solicitors emails and cannot believe after revisiting one particular topic that the house we put a deposit on, which we still sadly go and have a look at, now reverts to the builder who may have re-mortgaged or sold, because the solicitor says we won our case and now have no claim to even the 40% we had before we went to court.  We now wait with baited breath to see if the bank pay us out after the 20th July.  Once again we hope your payout is soon and you can finally carry on with your lives. Rosemary

Like 0      
27 Jun 2012 1:42 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

Hi Rosemary

Thanks for your reply and good luck with your case.

Please keep us informed as to what happens on or after 20 July.

Kind regards

Keith

LEY 57/1968

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 2:12 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

We have just received news this morning that Sabadell CAM has filed an appeal. We have not yet seen the contents of the appeal. We hope to have more information later today or tomorrow.

So far we do not have any news regarding the payment of the 1,494,710€ to the Court bank account.

Also there is no information yet regarding an appeal from the developer, Cleyton GES SL.

More information to follow……………………

Kind regards

Keith

LEY 57/1968

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 2:39 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Just another delaying tactic by the bank whilst hoping / looking for a bailout and also a more amenable judge!!

Hang on in there, Justice will prevail!!

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 4:22 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

No surprise there Keith but no doubt you will be following through with a preliminary enforcement if required.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 4:56 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

We expected an appeal and so were prepared for this situation. We are still in a good position having a very strong First Instance Court Judgment against both defendants. I would much rather be in our current position than if we had lost ...in the First Instance and it was us having to submit an appeal!!

With regards to the payment ..............we do not currently have any news regarding the payment.  It may just be that the payment information has not yet been notified to our Procurator.

If no payment is made then we will file an enforcement application later this week.

I am aware that there is a great deal of interest in this case and that is why I am making the information available to all immediately we have it. We have not yet even seen a copy of the Appeal, we just received notification from our Procurator that an appeal had been filed by Sabadell CAM.

More information to follow..........

LEY 57/1968

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

MURCIA AIRPORT Dont Book GOLD CAR - 10 posts
Electric Heater/Gas Bottle/Bikes - 0 posts
Gar Bottle - 0 posts
Alloy fold up Bike - 2 posts
Community fee debt on repossessed property - 2 posts
Moving in Soon - 3 posts
Bank Charges La Caixa ... - 3 posts
Town hall rate's - 5 posts
How Are Things in Your Area? - 58 posts
Interior decorating costs? - 6 posts
- 0 posts
COSTA LUZ LAWYERS DID IT AGAIN! - 3 posts
Unlocked Mobile Phones - 2 posts
internet help - 4 posts
Hello from barcelona - 2 posts
How to find out which company has brought the unsold apartments at auction. - 12 posts
New "kid on the block" - 4 posts
moving my mother to spain - 39 posts
transferring money - 30 posts
3% Tax? - 27 posts
WANTED: 4 Bed Long Term Property to Rent (1-3 years) Maybe Rent To Buy - 1 posts
Summer again!! - 0 posts
LOOKING FOR A RELIABLE 4 X 4 MECHANIC - 2 posts
Europocar hidden extras? - 6 posts
London Olympics good for Spain - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 263

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x