3% Tax?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jun 2012 2:45 PM by daveandnicky Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

I'm after a bit of advice if anyone is able to help. For many reasons (including being posted overseas and trying to let but having 2 long term non-payers) we have had to give up our Spanish house. We have already lost over 100K on the house and the bank have agreed to take back the keys as long as we pay another 30K. We have managed to secure a loan on our UK house to pay this. 

However the bank have now said that we must also pay 3% of the total amount of the transaction as this is the "3% retention that by law has to be done and deposited with the Inland Revenue".

I questioned this with my lawyer and his reply was "I know how you feel and I complained when he called me this morning as they can get this 3% back from the Inland Revenue with a POA as I have done with other banks. The explanation he gave was that they had little liquidity.

And that was it! So I'm now left having to find even more money to pay out for a house that I don't have or want. 

Maria del Castro - do I need to change lawyer and should I have to pay the 3%? Also do you think the banks will chase people to UK for the surplus - for our particular house there have been many circumstances when we should have pulled out and could have early on but were advised against it by the same lawyer.

Very grateful for any advice.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2012 5:13 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Are you a tax resident of Spain?  If you are paying income tax out here, or even if you don't have enough income to pay tax, and are making yearly nil tax declarations, the 3% won't be witheld. That is one of the advantages of registering with the Spanish tax system, which people should realise, is not a choice but a legal liability.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2012 6:13 AM by daveandnicky Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Thanks campasol. So as a non-resident (in the EU even) I will get the amount back? No doubt there will be a charge for this though.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2012 10:16 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

The retention tax is to ensure you don't owe anything like captial gains tax etc.  As you are not making a property on the sale, you will receive that back after all checks have been done,  Be aware, though, that this can take a couple of years depending on how quick the area tax office are.  

Like 0      
07 Jun 2012 1:45 PM by daveandnicky Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Thanks bobaol

Like 0      
07 Jun 2012 7:15 PM by jaldridge Star rating in Manilva. 144 posts Send private message

jaldridge´s avatar

Yes, you should get it all back but unfortunately it's unlikely that they'll call you up in a few months and tell you that they've got some money to return to you.

From my understanding, you do have chase it.

Best of luck and sorry to hear about the bad experience you've had. 

Justin

EOS Team

Like 0      
07 Jun 2012 9:19 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

18 months it took me to get my 3% back  in Murcia, they did not teel me i had got it, it was put into my Spanish bank acc

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 9:10 AM by icaru Star rating in Kalkan Turkey. 46 posts Send private message

icaru´s avatar

Most owners where we live simply leave the keys and walk away from Spain and their property.  They don't even bother to ask the bank to take back their property.  Eventually some bank does take it back but it often leaves the rest of us paying the communal fees for a long time before any bank steps in.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 9:53 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Oh dear, have you in fact paid the £30k and why?

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 10:49 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
The 3% retention is in lieu of any capital gain that may be taxable as a result of selling your property. (The retention is only applicable to non-residents of Spain)
Are we to understand that you are SELLING your property to the bank for -30k ? Something here I'm not getting...

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 11:30 AM by midasgold Star rating in Mijas.. 93 posts Send private message

When in Rome etc etc

Pay sod all  - as per the Spanish.

Shame about the 30G  -  no Spanard would have paid it !

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 11:31 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

All individuals need to make their own decisions on how they deal with (or not deal with) the debts they owe to Spanish bank lenders. In a lot of cases (not all) the banks can only blame themselves for the mess they have got into brought on by greed and reckless lending that should never have occurred.

As for what they will do if you do not pay. They have the legal right to peruse that debt in any country and jurisdiction on this planet. However in practical terms they neither have the time, resources or money to peruse any of those debts, perhaps even in Spain itself. As the old saying goes ‘’why throw good money after bad’’. They took a high risk gamble and lost. All they can and will now do is get them debts written off and start again.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 1:03 PM by finkies Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

Hi potblack, you speak sound common sense.

daveandnicky are simply facing a (horendous, I admit) decision.       But it's a decision that hundreds, if not thousands, of foreign buyers have already faced, and conceivably hundreds of thousands of foreign owners will face in the future - to the detirment of the Spanish economy..

The Spanish banks (& developers, Government etc)  have brought this on themselves: lending/subscribing to lending  huge amounts on properties priced 500% above their true worth.       None of them ever thought that the bubble would burst - it had never done so before, so why now?       But it has imploded, and there are hundreds of thousands of foreign buyers now in negative equity.

Add to mortgage costs ridiculously and unjustifiable urbanisation fees - fees that were set by the (invariably Spanish) admin companies/the developers who rigged everything so that the buyers would pay for every conceivable outlay, there is no wonder thatso many people are now questioning whether it is justifiable, or even possible that they should shell out some (possible) €1,750 - €2,000 per month, for a property that they use perhaps for 4 weeks per year: cannot get any help from the banks: cannot find tenants and worst of all, they're paying out this money for a property that they cannot sell - even at perhaps 1/5th of what they paid for it.       

The banks & the government have so far suffered a blast from a grenade, there's a thermo nuclear device going to explode shortly.

I have surrendered keys for 2 personal friends who eventually, albeit very sadly, bit the bullet and accepted reality.     It took one bank 2+ years to actually acknowledge that they had an extra property,although they're still trying to contact the owner in UK.

The other keys were surrendered 2+ years ago, and the bank concerned still haven't even visited the property - all  they did was to try to telephone the owner in UK - without any success, as she's now uncontactable, and has transferred all of her assets elsewhere.

If it's any consolation to daveandnicky, in a previous life, I worked for a similar organisation in UK, and I attended Court to attempt to recover the losses made on a re-possession/surrender of keys.  The Court Registrars were so unsympathetic to my company -  accepting offers from the ex Borrowers to repay a loss if perhaps £80,000 at £1 per week (1,500+ years to repay) that in the end the company made a acommand decisiont o stop pursuing losses - it simply cost them even more.  They started to write off the losses against pre-tax profits, and they could well afford it.   I cannot see a UK Registrar bending over backwards to nail a UK citizen who has (in so many instances) simply been ripped off by a combination of unscrupulous banks, developers & Agents, and presnted with nothing of what they were promised when they initially bought.          Sad, but true.

I anticipate that the stream of re-po's and surrenders of keys currently happening, will trun into a raging torrent before too long.

Just my opinion.

This message was last edited by finkies on 09/06/2012.

This message was last edited by finkies on 09/06/2012.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 2:30 PM by Frank Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I do hope you guys find the correct solution.

Does anyone actually know of any case where a Spanish Bank chased an owner to UK and successfully got their claim through the UK courts?

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 3:23 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Hi Frank
A very interesting and to the point question. Maybe it’s too early to answer yet. Perhaps the alternative question,  is anybody in serious litigation. And by that I don’t mean the usual junk letters saying you are going to San Quentin for life if you do not pay.

Recently I had a big spat with HMRC. And was advised (by Maria and 2 other lawyers) put in a reverse situation. The Spanish bank would have to get a judgement in a Spanish court first. (That sounds like 2 years). Then get the whole job lot translated into English. Then serve it on the debtor in the UK. Then they would have to present it to a UK court to get a UK judgement that could be enforced in the UK. Anybody with a half decent UK solicitor would want every scrap of paper to do with it in English, right from the start of buying the property. Sound like £20,000 costs minimum. And then if Mr Debtors skint what do they do. Even if Mr Debtor has a UK home, no British Judge is going to make him/her homeless to pay a Spanish bank. Worst case scenario, a pound a week. My money is it will never get past the San Quentin letter, and I doubt it will ever get to that.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 3:29 PM by finkies Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

Hi Frank,

Well I certainly don't - I don't even think that the Spanish banks are geared up to do this yst.

It's not going to be long, if indeed it hasn't alady happened, that some opportunistic debt collecters in UK start touting their dubious expertise to the Spanish banks.

Although having spent a few years working for one of these "Debt Counselling" companies, they're paid strictly by "results" - and the results entail recovering money.      If the people concerned haven't any money, or they blunty refuse (always the best option) to be "counselled", there's little the counsellor can do but to slink away: he too os lucky to cover his expenses, if no money os forthcoming.

Theres' no stigma (or even anything adverse) in having a UK CCJ now - even voluntary bankruptcyis only for a couple of years.

The law is heavily slanted in favour of Joe Citizen,   

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 4:48 PM by icaru Star rating in Kalkan Turkey. 46 posts Send private message

icaru´s avatar

I read some time ago that a couple of Spanish banks did try to attach assets of Brits who had returned to the UK without paying their mortgages and community fees, but the banks were not successful.  The British courts were not sympathetic and the Spanish banks retreated.  I think they realize that it's not worth the time, money and effort that would be involved in a case which they probably would not win anyway.  Especially after the way many British citizens have been treated by the Spanish government ... homes demolished, evacuation orders within 24 hours and so on.  Won't make the British authorities or courts very sympathetic to Spanish bank losses.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 6:04 PM by Frank Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I have heard they have followed people having obtained a judgement in Spain and asking for it to be rubber stamped in UK which then gives them the right to get bailiffs to act on their behalf in UK.

Does anyone know if its true?

Does anyone know people who work in Spanish banks?

Like 0      
10 Jun 2012 6:02 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Yes you could just imagine it in a UK court.

Good morning your honour. We are Spangle bail out bank. Billy Brit the defendant owes us £50,000 that we should never have lent him. But at the time we needed to earn our corrupt bonuses. We persuaded Billy to borrow 100% of his then over priced house purchase, plus an extra £10,000 to put in a duck pond. Anyway it’s all now gone tits up and Billy could not pay what we should never have lent him. So he gave us the keys back. The keys are now in a huge warehouse near Alicante with 10 million other sets of keys. We request that your honour makes a repossession order on Billy’s UK home and make him and his wife and 4 kids homeless and dependant on the UK state. We are claiming £50,000 for default, £10,000 in interest, plus £35,000 in legal costs. We realise Billy only has £10,000 equity in his right to buy UK council house, so he will have to pay the balance of £85,000 at a £1 a week deducted from his state benefit. As long as Billy lives until he is 1,680 years old everything should be fine. Oh, and by the way your honour, how much is your back hander, we presume it’s the same system here in the UK as in Spain.

Like 0      
10 Jun 2012 10:27 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Ooh, slightly inflammatory remark, could be construed as racist....but then again....
I was chatting to a Spanish friend last night, who was annoyed at Germany winning their football match. He then went into a rant about how Germany is to blame for this whole damn euro mess resulting in Spain having to go cap in hand for a bailout, that it was their grand scheme all along to humiliate the rest of Europe by forcing countries like Spain to accept loans of more than they asked for to fuel their economies 10 years ago....
The original posters seem to have lost interest in this wandering thread so I'll stop now before policeman plod comes along to tick me off for deviating; maybe I'll pop over to"reasons not to move to Spain" and mention the irritation of being amongst the smuggest people in Europe (the world) who have nothing to be smug about, during a major football tournament.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WANTED: 4 Bed Long Term Property to Rent (1-3 years) Maybe Rent To Buy - 1 posts
Summer again!! - 0 posts
LOOKING FOR A RELIABLE 4 X 4 MECHANIC - 2 posts
Europocar hidden extras? - 6 posts
London Olympics good for Spain - 1 posts
Stray dog problems - 2 posts
Applications for mortgages in Spain. - 0 posts
UK Prescriptions - 1 posts
Is there a statute of limitations for the seller registering the sale of property? - 0 posts
Aquagest will not connect us as new owners - 6 posts
Driving with a UK driving licence in Spain? - 6 posts
Disabled Badge - 4 posts
WHALE WATCHING in Tarifa - 0 posts
LOOKING FOR A RELIABLE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE MECHANIC? - 0 posts
Tennis Puerto de Mazarron - beginner - 1 posts
the elderly - 2 posts
goldfish - 3 posts
Dog Registry municiple regulation - 0 posts
Bowler hat needed, Fuengirola area - 0 posts
Problem with the New Non-Residents Tax Form 210 - 3 posts
Help Desperately Required - 6 posts
Essential Improvements to Community Infrastructure - 6 posts
Are there any quiet areas? - 28 posts
Serc Mosa - 2 posts
Life in The Euro - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x