i phones and smartphones

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Dec 2011 12:00 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Hi,

Can anyone tell me more info. about getting an i phone in Spain? If I was prepared to get a contract, as i am currently on pay as you go, would the phone be free, as it would be in the UK? Also, can you tell me the benefits of getting an i phone over a Samsung Galaxy Smartphone for example. Also, how much does it normally cost a month to be on contract, or does it just depend how many calls you make?

Gracias,

Amatista

Like 0      
06 Dec 2011 4:08 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I have a Galaxy S2. Nice phone and quick, but lousy battery life. I like to use Skype on my phone, but battery is dead in less than 12 hours, Normal life is 18 hours, although once or teice I hae anaged 24 hours. Ended up getting a bigger battery, ehich isn't much better.

Sorry, can't offer any advice on a Spanish contract, but  did see Vodafone doing some good deals, including roaming.

Mark

Like 0      
06 Dec 2011 4:09 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

06 Dec 2011 4:22 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

Movistar, Vodafone and Orange are the operators that currently offer the iPhone in Spain.  The newer versions like the iPhone 4 and 4S can be obtained for a contract for a minimum of 18 months and a data plan starting at 15 Euros per month.  The voice plan depends on the number of calls you make.  These models cannot generally be obtained for free unless you are a new customer and get the higher plans.  This used to be easier until about six months ago when the operators seem to have gotten together and agreed not to give it out for free just to steal customers from one another.  Now they cost in the area of 200 euros for a new contract and you can exchange your earned points if you continue with your existing operator.  I don't know if pay as you go plans give you points, though.

I do suggest that you call the local head of marketing of the operator of your choice and pressure them into giving it to you for free.  You might not entirely succeed but will probably get a very good price. (I got mine for 60 Euros and a friend got it for 35 Euros).  Keep in mind that an unlocked newer version costs in the ares of 700 euros.  The people in the shops are not empowered to give you these discounts.  You need to contact the marketing people by phone.

The older versions, 3 and 3GS can be obtained for free with all three operators but the newer versions have more features.  It depends what you want to get out of the smartphone but if it is only to use as a phone and do email and some web browsing, the older versions are quite good at this.  My first iPhone was a 3G and now I have a 4.  The 4 has a better camera and I do like to take pictures.  The 4S has an even better camera but I have to wait until August when my 18-month period expires.

As to the difference with the Samsung Galaxy, I cannot help you there as I could only speak from hearsay.  Perhaps someone else is in a better position.  I can say though that I am happy with both my iPhone and iPad.  

Like 0      
06 Dec 2011 7:43 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

wow thanks very much for all the info. very helpful .. i will call movistar and orange

Like 0      
07 Dec 2011 12:00 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Would definitely stick with Movistar and Vodafone - Orange cover isn't that great.  I had a micro sim for my ipad with Orange and, to be honest, it was absolutely useless!!  Have had great cover with Movistar (obviously as they own most of the network) and Vodafone (reluctantly, as I dislike them so much!!).  I have an iPhone 4S and just switched my contract from Movistar to Vodafone because they had a much better tariff - and that's after calling Movistar and asking them what they would offer me before I decided to change!  I paid €369 for a 32GB iPhone 4S, paying a monthly tariff of €40 plus IVA with Vodafone (two year contract) - which gives me 350 mins a month to any operator, 350 text messages a month to any operator, 500 MB data download plus 150MB data download roaming in Europe, plus two VIP vodafone numbers which I can call and text for free.  Movistar couldn't match this at all!

The iPhone 3G won't be supported in many aspects but the 3GS still is a good buy if you want everything but a great camera (although it's a good camera) and Facetime.  Besides that, I think it is practially the same spec functionally (save for Siri). 

Check out the tariffs on vodafone.es and movistar.es - but you'll be pushed to get one free of charge without taking about a contract for about €80pm or more!!

Like 0      
07 Dec 2011 10:30 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

thanks vry much

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

BANKIA - 47 posts
Hi new tonight - 1 posts
Property capital gains tax - 6 posts
TRIPS TO GRANADA - 2 posts
Hello new here - 13 posts
Hello im making a project about spain values and would like to ask few questions - 2 posts
Few questions about spain for student :) thx you! - 0 posts
Few questions about spain for student :) thx you! - 0 posts
Winter Driving Conditions - 3 posts
Newbie from USA - 11 posts
car hire full/full fuel policy - 30 posts
Shop opening Times - 4 posts
I want to sell new 2012 Kymco People GT 300i First Ride - 1 posts
Europa Network - 2 posts
TAX INFO Please - 3 posts
Recovery of deposit money from El Balcon De Alcausin . - 8 posts
Where would be best for me and my son?? - 5 posts
LORAINE45 - 1 posts
Deep sea fishing out of Duquesa - 1 posts
Entitlement to Healthcare - 20 posts
wifi spain - 2 posts
Private medical insurance cancellation - 9 posts
Spare a thought for Michael O'Leary, Chief Executive of 'Ryanair' - 71 posts
Cajasol BIC - 5 posts
BARGAIN!!!!!! TOYOTA RAV4 2005.... NEED TO SELL!!!! - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x