A debate on Capitalism

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Aug 2011 10:40 AM by cbrammeld Star rating. 172 posts Send private message

A great essay but nothing that a 17 year old economics student could not write at school. The problems has been compounded by greed from individuals, companies and governments and the need/desire/want/political gain you aim for.

What is now required is a solution or solutions that will ease the pain financially before it starts to trickle down through society and we all become poorer. Not just in the financial sense but health wise. Only time will tell which of the many formats that are being used will be the 'best'.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 11:50 AM by Orinoco Star rating in Castilla La Mancha. 141 posts Send private message

Orinoco´s avatar

I´d say the fact that I won´t be able to retire until I´m 69 is fairly compelling evidence that it already has trickled down through society. My wife would agree. She´s a public sector school teacher who had her wages slashed 10% last year. Funny how she was forced to take a wage cut and yet our bank wasn´t made to reduce our mortgage repayments by a similar amount.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 12:01 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Orinoco, your post @ 00.51 has it spot on. I feel serious civil unrest is very close.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 1:16 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

perhaps we wont wait for the referendum?

perhaps the masses will speak?

how long have I got?

but first you have got to stop them watching others hitting, kicking, poking and tapping balls about the place.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 1:25 PM by valeros Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

valeros´s avatar

Realistically I don’t think things in Spain will get out of hand; historically it is a very short time ago when Spain was a very dangerous place to live, they will not want to go there again. The older generations had more “fire in their bellies”, the young are a different breed altogether, they are more worldly wise, switched on to international commerce and basically have (by their own standards) a better standard of living. Yes, times will become more difficult but I believe a rational approach will be adopted rather than “head-on” violence.

Now then, with all this talk about the banks, the 2 biggest banks in the world haven’t been mentioned yet……….

1. The Catholic Bank
  2. The Protestant Bank

I would very interested in how many pies they have their fingers in, and what sort of controlling interests they have in the world monetary system.

You all know the expression “It’s the quiet ones to need to watch”

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 1:26 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

If only the unrest could be organised and civilised with a structure and plan for realistic reform that everyone recognises is important to Spain's future wellbeing, with accountability and transparency high on the agenda. Politicians at all levels with self interests have to be made more accountable and need to be more in touch with their citizens. And citizens have the power to effect this through well organised (but civilised) campaigns if only they realised it.

It is possible if those with good intellect and fair ethical standards could come to the fore and influence change based on the best of political systems elsewhere in the world. Why is it that we never learn from others and our own mistakes and implement well tested solutions? Why keep reinventing the wheel and change from one bad egg to another? A small example is within the legal system where regulation has been proven to work and benefit citizens. Are there people standing in the sidelines of the political scene with such qualities, able to do this do you think? Are there obvious candidates from, for instance, industry and academia in Spain who recognise the realities and have the necessary knowledge to effect reform? To stand outside the box, so to speak, and co-ordinate a workable balanced system

On a positive note it could be the longer term making of Spain. It's time for the citizens to stand firm together and seek a workable system instead of the chaotic and unregulated mess that exists to day. Spaniards should be encouraged to feel empowered through action, but action that does not cause more damage to the economy. It's a fine line that requires skilled and knowledgeable individuals to lead...... but it is possible if good and able and more importantly trusted minds came together, isn't it?

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 2:12 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Sorry Ads,

unfortunately not, it defies human nature in the main.

we need saints to lead us and they are very thin on the ground.

"but it is possible if good and able and more importantly trusted minds came together, isn't it?"

you need to start a new political party where sinners are banned.

currently they will not even accept responsibility let alone resign without a big push.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 2:17 PM by valeros Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

valeros´s avatar

Simplistic view of the various systems:-

1. Dictatorship, a country/area of the world controlled by one person – good or bad.
  2. Communism, a country/area of the world controlled by one person under the guise of equality and social recognition for the people.
  3. Capitalism, countries and areas of the world controlled by many wealthy dictators.
  4. Coalitions/Committees, in essence the most logical and fair way to control, however, totally impractical as usually there is much debate and little positive action.

Take your pick…….we are treated as sheep to be herded up and pointed or instructed to go in a certain direction.

To try and put a perspective on this you have to look at the historical evolution of the world, the Romans, Greeks etc.

e.g. The Romans had a Senate but who were they all very respectful of?....

We are going into a new phase in world matters, in the past when one empire failed within a few decades another one emerged.

The “scary” part about our current situation is that it is worldwide…..!

I think it was Mark Twain that said “Buy land because they are not making any more”; I have done just that, if the system collapses, at least I can grow my own food and breed animals to feed myself and family, ultimately the basic essence of life is - “to put food on the table and a roof over your head”!!! Everything else is a bonus.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 2:26 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Well,

is that not a fool's paradise????

don't we have millions of refugees driven off their land by gun-toting thugs of one sort or another?

I think you need protection with a big deterrent.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 2:36 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

How true.....

By the way I love the idea of a sinners are banned party, ha!

On a more serious note, if good regulation and enforcement was in place then that would curtail the sinners to a degree....... it's getting the right and fair regulation in place (worldwide) that's the difficult bit. The benchmark for a more civilised approach. For instance there is a world justice project  that looks interesting. http://worldjusticeproject.org/

It' isn't rocket science however, just  vision and belief with good intellectual but practical minds to make it happen..... I live in hope of the younger generation mobilising themselves alongside those with experience and firsthand knowledge, picking the brains from all areas of industry and academia......a people's think tank to put right the wrongs! Ever the optimist!

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 2:58 PM by valeros Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

valeros´s avatar

Sorry, forgot one:-

Religion; one person influencing/controlling vast areas of the world using a 2000yr old rule book. Amassing great fortunes and on the face of it not doing a lot to help the people dying from lack of water/food and substandard living conditions.

I will stand to be corrected on this one, but when you see the news bulletins they usually mention the various Aid Agencies involved; rarely, if ever, have I heard that  the Pope or Archbishop of Canterbury have put their hands in their pockets.

And before anyone says this is off the topic of the thread, its not, because the whole system is so entangled and interconnected that you cannot separate individual sections. You make a new ruling/method of accountability for one area and suddenly out of the “woodwork” a voice says “you can’t do that because…….”

Basically the world is in a mess, John Major almost got it right (after his foray with the egg lady) when he said along the lines “we must get back to a sense of family values”. This is the single element that can be all powerful, get that right and we wouldn’t have to worry about the financial disaster we are now facing.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 3:22 PM by valeros Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

valeros´s avatar

“sinners are banned party”

“regulation and enforcement”

“protection with a big deterrent”

Surely these are the words of dictators, what happens to free development, free speech etc….

I think most methods have now been tried, evaluated and experienced; I guess “1984” is just around the corner….

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 3:27 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

Sorry that wont wash either!!!!!!!

Family.......what family............half the population hate their family but love their friends or cats and dogs, they can't wait to live apart and become an ex-pat with only occasional contact, sometimes none.

They trudge around the terrain with their faithful doggy at their heels and spend more on vet's bills and doggy sustenance than they do on family presents.

Many even boast of their disdain and how much they spend "skiing" around the world.

and from what I recall he did not even stop "banging" the egg lady until after being found out and embarassed, a bit late to discover the merits of families.

No it will have to be the "Saints" party and a split from this insane EU "family"

But of course I am open to correction.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 3:38 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Valeros:

It could be that "Soylent Green" is around the corner.

Patricia

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 4:36 PM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

Which half are you in & why ?

Jon

"half the population hate their family"

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 5:00 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

"Surely these are the words of dictators, what happens to free development, free speech etc…. "

Always the argument used by those who lack faith in a democracy with FAIR constraints in place. Many have commented on human kind being flawed, dog eat dog, etc, well the flaws and dogs when out of control need some constraining in my eyes.

Have a good weekend.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 5:06 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Well,

I am no "skiier" my proposed purchase was for the family to use.

The family is all.

As for widening it .............. well if they were all like Adds etc etc etc and I was of any use to them!!!!!!!

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 6:35 PM by valeros Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

valeros´s avatar

Norman; I am very sorry but I do not understand where you are coming from….
First you criticise the family environment then you support it????

ads; “lack faith in democracy”, to generalise in this manner is pretty naive, we all benefit from a democratic society in one way or another. We bend the rules a little (but hopefully with respect) to live the lives we want. But who dictates/decides what fair constraint is????

campana; haven’t seen Soylent Green, but will download and view with interest.

So you see where this debate on capitalism is leading, its not what the “big boys” are doing, but what ultimately affects us, “the real people, the sheep, the people without the ability to sort the wheat from the chaff”, and what options are available to change the system.

For goodness sake, we are in the majority; the persons who purport to be in a position of authority are in the minority. If you want change you have to pull together with the “courage of your conviction”. I have always admired the Spanish and the French, if they disagree with certain policies they pull together and make their feelings known, unlike the Brits who normally “sit on the fence”.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 7:06 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Sorry Valeros,

I only intended to criticise those who discard their families in favour of other pursuits.

I admire idealists but worry over their pragmatism.

I think those that formed the EU had little idea of what they were doing and for reasons already outlined on this and other threads believe it to be a disaster as a "family".

I take it that the French and Spanish that you admire are the ordinary citizens not the people they elect, in which we are as one.

I rather doubt that we do much better ourselves though, I wonder how the countries compare in population voting patterns and what the level of disenchantment is?

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 10:21 PM by Orinoco Star rating in Castilla La Mancha. 141 posts Send private message

Orinoco´s avatar

I think things are liable to get out of hand very quickly. 43% of the young are unemployed. Can you imagine having studied architecture for the best part of a decade, only to graduate and find there is absolutely no work anywhere? To find yourself applying for the most mundane jobs, along with 600 other applicants all desperate for the opportunity to work in a sausage factory on minimum wage. No hope, no future... Spain is a tinderbox. High unemployment, politically corrupt, facing tough austerity measures. It just needs a flashpoint - one over-zealous copper, one accidental death.

4 stories from today in just one paper, all interconnected by one thing - economic meltdown: and I´ve deliberately omitted the "Crisis Deepens as Markets Edge Towards Disaster".

1) Union protestors close border with Gibraltar by burning tyres. They haven´t been paid by the local authority.  http://www.elpais.com/articulo/english/Protestors/set/fire/to/tires/block/access/to/Gibraltar/elpepueng/20110804elpeng_6/Ten

2) Town of Moratalia in Murcia is broke. Pop. 8,500 debts of 28,000,000.00€ 120 town employees have not been paid since April. 

3)  15-M protestors trying to reclaim Puerta del Sol from Police. There´s something very sinister about the line "Police asked a number of people for identification, and told those who they didn't let past that they were acting "on government orders."  

4) Pharmacies in Castilla La Mancha are owed 125,000,000.00€ by the regional junta. 125 million! And are threatening to close on Aug 11 if they don´t get paid. 

Have a great weekend :) 

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

ELECTRICT SCRUBBER FOR USE OUTSIDE - 1 posts
Dation in payment with shortfall - 5 posts
Just finished RAce For Life :-) - 5 posts
Wanted bunk beds. - 0 posts
Is It Better To Buy or Rent Property in Spain ?? - 58 posts
Purchasing a property with a UK company - 31 posts
WANTED RIVIERA DEL SOL - 1 posts
Power limiter (ICP) endesa - 2 posts
Best UK post codes for Humax Foxsat HD 500GB - 2 posts
On the Rocks - 0 posts
Poetry.. This is my favorite English poem ...Please comment - 5 posts
Did Your Bank Fail the Stress Test? - 2 posts
Woman like this should not be allowed - 13 posts
ILLEGAL HOMES IN SPAIN 5 - 0 posts
CERTIFYING DOCUMENTS IN GIBRALTAR - 5 posts
schools in spain - 18 posts
Hoping to move but got a few barriers to cross first... - 13 posts
renting - 0 posts
Petrol & Diesel Prices in Gibraltar - 3 posts
Cheap, perfect 7 seat car in Murcia for just €1300. RHD on Spanish ITV - 0 posts
monthly living - 44 posts
WANTED - Video Recorder - 3 posts
WANTED - Unfurnished Mijas Costa - 0 posts
Chiropractor Fuengirola or Mijas Costa - 0 posts
handyman needed - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 61

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x