schools in spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jul 2011 12:00 AM by emmacarrie86 Star rating in ayrshire at the mome.... 12 posts Send private message

anyone know of any good english speaking primary schools in the costa del sol (preferably la linea/gibraltar area) that wont cost a fortune to send my son to?

Looking to move in a year or so but just doing the research now so that i dont get my hopes up for them to be torn down :( I really need away from the UK

emma

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 12:37 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Emma:

María, (online lawyer here) is from that area and I am sure she will come up with an answer for you.  In fact, some weeks ago Maria floated the suggestion here on the forum of setting up an international school  in the Campo de Gibraltar. 

Best wishes

Patricia

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 3:44 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

gibraltar primary school is considered one of the best.

people even buy apartments there and leave them empty just to get their children into it.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 3:51 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
The only English speaking school in the area, that I am aware of, is Sotogrande international. The fees are about €3100 per term (just under €9500 year) for primary.

I believe to place your son in school in Gibraltar you must be resident there - you would be hard pushed to rent a studio flat for less than the school fees mentioned above!

If your son will only be 4-5 years (I read in another thread he is three and a half?) then you could maybe consider sending him to a Spanish school - he will pick up the language with no difficulty.

This message was last edited by Pitby on 15/07/2011.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 3:52 PM by emmacarrie86 Star rating in ayrshire at the mome.... 12 posts Send private message

would you suggest we rented an apartment in gibraltar rather than la linea then? the only reason we have chosen la linea is cause its so close to gib and we know 2 very good friends who live there!!

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 3:57 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

Very very expensive to rent in Gib

Not quite london prices but really pricey

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 4:03 PM by emmacarrie86 Star rating in ayrshire at the mome.... 12 posts Send private message

but would it be cheaper to a) live in gib and pay the more expencive rental prices and get cameron into school for free OR to live outside of gib and pay cheaper rental prices but then on top of that have to pay for cameron to go to an english speaking school?

i wouldnt mind putting him into a spanish school at a young age like pitby suggested but i think my mum and dad and especially my gran would freak at the idea as they like to worry and i would prefer to put everyones minds at rest!!

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 4:08 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

both

these are questions that cant be answered/

pay 3500 pounds a month rent in gib and get them into the best schools.

pay 1000 euros a month and 3000 euros a term in soto private international school.

pay 600 in sabillnillias and put them in a spanish school for almost free.

its all a matter of choice.

i would personally do the sotogrande and the international school but thats my choice.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 4:13 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Emma, please don't take this the wrong way, but have you SEEN the rents in Gibraltar? You are looking at about £1,200-1,500 minimum for a two bed apartment, per month.

On top of that you will have obvious outgoings: utilities, petrol, car, food, etc., etc. There are other threads on here recently talking about exactly what you have posted, setting out in very honest terms the cost of living here.

I wish you luck with your plans.

Crossed posts! You could live in Manilva/sabinillas and easy choose Sotogrande or, if you don't wish to pay, the local Spanish schools.

This message was last edited by Pitby on 15/07/2011.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 4:43 PM by emmacarrie86 Star rating in ayrshire at the mome.... 12 posts Send private message

To pitby...Not had a look yet, is marbella cheaper than gib? its a bit of a distance from gib and la linea tho but i think it is lovely :) if only i could win the lottery i wouldnt have anything to worry about with schooling and where we lived and could even hire a driver to take me places...would be great :)

To bigwilly...i quite like the idea of the spanish school as i cant see me having the money for the international school but if i did it would be my first choice. I just think i need to stop worrying what my mum and gran will think and start thinking just for me and my son, will make life a lot less stressful. Im even unhappy in a uni course that i picked to do to make my parents happy and it is what is keeping me here!! Time to start thinking about my little family unit now i think!!

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 4:50 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

i pay 1400 euros a month for an an average place in marbella to just give you an example of prices.

there is nothing wrong with spanish schools.

good enough for 40 million spanish people.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 5:21 PM by emmacarrie86 Star rating in ayrshire at the mome.... 12 posts Send private message

that is a lot of money for an apartment :-O

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 5:38 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

not really

its cheaper than i normally pay because prices are falling.

most of my friends pay 2000 - 4000 euros a month.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 6:26 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

It really depends on location.

You can rent 3 bed properties for approx  EUR700 along the coast.

maybe decide your bedget and then find which area gives you the best property and schools etc

If your child is 4 then Spanish primary school is fine. The real problem is older children and whether they want the upheavel of new school and new language.

Also kind of depends if you intend staying and where you see you children in the future.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2011 1:37 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

As long as your kids are young enough I don't see the problem with putting them in a local Spanish school.  Both of mine are and have always been very happy in a Spanish school and are obviously fluent in Spanish now.

Have you visited the area at all?  Do you know La Linea?  Many people working in Gib live around the Manilva/ Duquesa area and rents are relatively cheap around here.

Anyway, best of luck with whatever decision you make.  If you need some more info then try our Schools in Spain guide which might help you with your decision.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
16 Jul 2011 2:22 PM by Lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

Lifeline´s avatar

Try googling King's College San Pedro in Costa del Sol. I understand it has had a name change from King's College to San Pedro. I would be very surprised if you did not find any King's College in any country an amazing experience for children. We have King's College near us in Murcia and it has a great reputation.

However we sent our 12 year old 2 years ago to the local Spanish school and he learned the language so quickly. They all do. We have a great Spanish tutor who comes to the house 3 times a week to help him. You could decribe the Spanish education system as very 'bookish' and they do have a lot of homework which sometimes seems pointless eg not only have they to do the maths in the book but they have to WRITE OUT the questions as well! Anyway there are reasons for everything. Children are loved and important as a rule in Spanish society and this shows in the schools.

A lot depends on what you are looking for, as the private schools really prepare them for university. 

Daveil

Like 0      
28 Jul 2011 1:03 PM by dave321 Star rating in el campello. 5 posts Send private message

Hi,It is a personal choice the type of school you decide to send your son to but for what its worth we moved to catalonia 5 years ago with our then 8 year old,he took a while getting the hang of the language (about 2 years),last year we moved to alicante, he now speaks both catalonian and castellion fluently and is enjoying the spanish schooling.You can get grants but normally you have to pay for books,but it would work out a lot cheaper than a English school.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2011 7:36 PM by emmacarrie86 Star rating in ayrshire at the mome.... 12 posts Send private message

dave... how did your son cope for the time he didnt know the language? do the schools have a way of making sure that the english speaking kids education doesnt get effected by the language barrier when english children go to spanish speaking schools? do most of the kids speak good enough english to communicate with non spanish speaking kids? If all that was fine then i wouldnt hesitate about sending him to a spanish school as it would be of benefit for him to learn the language etc but i dont know anything about any of this as im a young single parent who is to be quite honest... a bit clueless about most stuff lol thats why im on here :)

Like 0      
30 Jul 2011 10:38 AM by dave321 Star rating in el campello. 5 posts Send private message

Hi,firstly sorry taken couple days to reply but i only use the internet couple times a week,My son was the only English speaking student at the school but it  had about 20% foreign students mainly morrocan and romanian so they had a "welcome class" where non spanish speakers were taken out of class for an hour a day in groups of 4 or 5 to be given extra help.William (my son) is shy and does not speak much,so it took him longer than most to pick it up,but from what i understand most kids are competant in about a year or less.The main thing for me was william was very happy at the school,which he was.Because we lived more than 8km from the school transport and meals where free only had to pay for books (as a single mum you may be able to get a grant to cover that expence).The area your talking about will be different but i guess similar (maybe more English speaking students) Anyway if he is primary school age I don´t think there will be any problems,best of luck with whatever you decide.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hoping to move but got a few barriers to cross first... - 13 posts
renting - 0 posts
Petrol & Diesel Prices in Gibraltar - 3 posts
Cheap, perfect 7 seat car in Murcia for just €1300. RHD on Spanish ITV - 0 posts
monthly living - 44 posts
WANTED - Video Recorder - 3 posts
WANTED - Unfurnished Mijas Costa - 0 posts
Chiropractor Fuengirola or Mijas Costa - 0 posts
handyman needed - 1 posts
illegal homes in Spain 5 - 0 posts
Looking forward to Summer hols :-) - 4 posts
Poor Website Spelling Cut Sales by Half - 13 posts
motability scooter - 3 posts
Do I need a residencia or will a padron/nie be enough? - 16 posts
Driving to spain - 3 posts
What Makes You Think Of Spain - 24 posts
Water Leak - Undetected - 2 posts
Mary-Anne Goosens: Am I Being Cynical? - 2 posts
Dogs saved from drowning - 0 posts
Time for property agents to earn their commissions. - 2 posts
sick of england - 117 posts
selling our restaurant - 0 posts
not wanting to pay commisions - 4 posts
Selling Opportunities - 0 posts
property - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x