Authorities say I 'underdeclared' 3600Euros!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Sep 2010 12:00 AM by spudrick Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi all!

I am new to this site having recently bought in San Pedro Del Pinatar.  We did everything as recommended by the solicitor, including declaring the actual purchase value of the property.

Now the Ministry of Finance has sent my solicitor a letter saying that I underdeclared by around 50,000Euros, so, they want 3600 Euros by way of 'fine'.  Solicitor says that it will cost me 1500 Euros for them to go to court to prove that I did not underdeclare (as I am totally innocent).

I have asked solicitor to send the information to Ministry to show them that it is unfair to do this as I have legitimately declared.  In addition, even if the Judge agrees that I am innocent I will still have the bill for 1500 Euros.

Not much fun since I have been out of work for over a year!

Anyway, it seems to me that this is going to be a common problem since prices in some areas have dropped significantly in recent years, and the Ministry is comparing 'current' declarations with 'historic' declarations!

Anyone got any ideas, experience or advice would be appreciated?  Thanks.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2010 4:04 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

This seems to happen a lot lately due to the decrease in property value, you can try and argue it but most of the time will end up paying it anyways.

I do know that in some cases they will give payment facilities.

Joan

Like 0      
21 Sep 2010 6:15 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

You can of course claim and I have heard of succesful claims of this type.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 21/09/2010.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
22 Sep 2010 12:52 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Lots of examples here

Buy cheaply and the Junta Andalucia reassess by reference to multiple of catastral value.

Sell cheaply and the Hacienda/Tax Office reassess based on websites selling property and instead of a refund of the 3% retention they say you owe them money.

Catch 22 situation as to whether to appeal or just pay and really it depends on the amount of assessment as there is no guaranteed outcome.

I started a thread on this topic a long time ago and I was hoping more would share their experience but I think no one responded which was disappointing......

Like 0      
22 Sep 2010 12:54 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I know of someone who won a claim against thetax administration. I can send to you his contact details so that you can exchange points of view.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
22 Sep 2010 4:01 PM by spudrick Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Mariadecastro (&Faro)

Thanks, yes I would like that please and thanks for the information both!

What I can not understand is that it is either Law, or it is not, if it is Law, then why do the Lawyers not tell us so?  If it is not, then why can they even expect to get away with it?

Anyway, if youi can send the details then that would be useful?

Best regards

Like 0      
23 Sep 2010 7:42 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Minimum tax value of a property can be known by lawyers. These other ones " market" valuations of the Tax Office are something that, as far as I know, are out of discretionary decissions, which is forbidden by Spanish Law.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
23 Sep 2010 9:07 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

You can also check on line yourself if you know the catastral value of the property in question.

The mimimum acceptable value is a multiple of the castastral value. The multiple varies from one Town Hall to the next depending on when the catatral values were last revised. Most estate agents know the multiples for the areas in which they actively sell property.

Most conveyancing solicitors check prior to completion and if value is below mimimun acceptable value to declare warn you to expect a letter/demand in due course.

If your solicitor did not check and warn you then I would complain to him but it won't get you anywhere in terms of compensation as they have a very limited duty of care compared to their UK counterparts.

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/economiayhacienda/apl/surweb/consultas/bienesUrbanos/valUrbana.jsp

Like 0      
23 Sep 2010 12:33 PM by spudrick Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Faro/Mariadecastro

Thanks for the replies! So, to distil this:

Is my tax demand based upon the Authorities' valuation, or what I actually paid (assuming I can prove that)?

Best regards and thanks again!

Like 0      
23 Sep 2010 12:50 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

their calculation is based on the difference between what you paid and the deemed value which is based on a multiple of the rateable/catastral value.

Example

Catastral value = 50,000

multiple = 3

Deemed value = 3 * 50,000 = 150,000

Declared price as per escitura = 120,000

Difference = 30,000

additional tax = 30,000 * 7%

Your lawyer should explain all this to you!!!!

Like 0      
23 Sep 2010 1:08 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I imagine this distrust from the tax man stems from all the years of under declaring and black money. Doesn't make it any easier to accept though.

Mark

Like 0      
23 Sep 2010 1:50 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Marksfish - You right that's where it all goes back to

The problem is some Town Halls re-valued their catastral values at the peak of the property boom and will not now accept the market has collapsed.

At one time you would have had no problem as declared price would nearly always have exceeded deemed value.

But now in some areas such as Benalmadena the actual price in almost all cases is less than the deemed value.

The Junta Andalucia is desperate for cash and are scrutinising returns submitted and seeing if anywhere in the chain there is a cent due to them and going back as far as permitted and placing embargos on bank accounts etc etc

Real nasty stuff pay up or else we'll embargo + surcharge + interest

It's a case of wake up and smell the coffee!!!!!!!!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Denuncia - 1 posts
Telefonica/Movistar BILLS - 2 posts
Can I pay the IBI online - 3 posts
Advice on REMOVAL OF STAIN on AWNING - 4 posts
Plumber around Los Barrios - 1 posts
Theft from luggage at Alicante airport - 4 posts
We love our apartment on Terraces! - 3 posts
Hi.. Can anyone help? - 4 posts
Legal tip 345. Won case on balance of penalties: good for consumer oriented Judge in Totana 20 September 2010 @ 11:57 We have just received today a Court decission in favour of our client. We claim for the balance of the penalty clause. Polaris wanted to - 1 posts
Courier service required. - 4 posts
Rotary clothes dryer. - 1 posts
What are my rights - 26 posts
food in cabin bags - 11 posts
For Justin! - 5 posts
Any remortgage deals on offer ? - 4 posts
Cambank difficult to deal with - 3 posts
NEW DEPARTMENT STORES ON LAND NEAR LA ZENIA N332 TOLL ANY ONE NO WHEN - 3 posts
British Special Needs Schools in Granada - 3 posts
Ford Fiesta - UK reg - Taxed & MOT - 4 posts
Moto GP - 11 posts
carravans in spain - 1 posts
Puente 11 Calahonda - 0 posts
When do minutes become legal - 9 posts
AMMEX ADMINISTRATORS IN SABINILLAS - 12 posts
Fish Market in San Pedro - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x