food in cabin bags

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Sep 2010 12:00 AM by covcol Star rating in Coventry and Balsica.... 11 posts Send private message

covcol´s avatar

Hi,

we are travelling for the 1st time this week with no hold luggage.

normally we bring packs of frozen bacon with us, does anyone know if its possible to carry frozen food in hand baggage ?

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 9:32 AM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

It will not be frozen when you get here  but I thoughtt it was illegal to bring in meat products anyway

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 10:04 AM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

What you can and can't take into Spain

If you are thinking about carrying presents or certain foods in your luggage to Spain be aware of the vigilant European Commission rules and regulations.  For example, meat or meat products, milk or dairy products should not be brought into Spain.  If you are travelling with your baby you are allowed to bring powdered milk in commercial packaging and special foodstuffs required for medical conditions.  Other items of food can be brought into Spain, up to a maximum weight of one kilogram. 

Sums of money in excess of €6,010.12 must be declared.  Currently, people aged over 18 are allowed to carry 200 cigarettes, or 100 cheroots, or 50 cigars, or 250 grams of rolling tobacco and one litre of drink (over 22 percent alcohol by volume), or two litres (under 22 percent alcohol by volume).  Perfumes are also limited to 50 grams of perfume and 0.25 litres of eau de toilette.

Fred

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 10:06 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi

There is a rarft of EU regulations that say you can't, just google it, also regulations from defra in the uk concerning the spread of foot and mouth. You could just take a flyer with it though (pardon the pun), the worst that could happen is that it would be confiscated. I often take my mum a pack of serrano ham when I visit the uk.

S

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 10:21 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

why bother? You can get English bacon in many places in Spain you know - Lidle, Consum, Carrefour etc. etc.

Irene

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 11:01 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

What you can and can't take into Spain

If you are thinking about carrying presents or certain foods in your luggage to Spain be aware of the vigilant European Commission rules and regulations.  For example, meat or meat products, milk or dairy products should not be brought into Spain.  If you are travelling with your baby you are allowed to bring powdered milk in commercial packaging and special foodstuffs required for medical conditions.  Other items of food can be brought into Spain, up to a maximum weight of one kilogram. 

Sums of money in excess of €6,010.12 must be declared.  Currently, people aged over 18 are allowed to carry 200 cigarettes, or 100 cheroots, or 50 cigars, or 250 grams of rolling tobacco and one litre of drink (over 22 percent alcohol by volume), or two litres (under 22 percent alcohol by volume).  Perfumes are also limited to 50 grams of perfume and 0.25 litres of eau de toilette.

This relates to people coming in to Spain from outside the EU, so has no relevance to someone travelling from the UK (or any other EU member state) to Spain. 

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 11:16 AM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Sanchez1

you are correct my error

Travelling from a country within the
European Union (EU)
If you are travelling from a country within the
EU (see the list below), you can bring in any meat,
dairy or other animal products, as long as they are
free from diseases and for your own consumption.
Meat and dairy products
Any other animal product
for example, fish, bivalves (such as oysters,
mussels or clams), honey and eggs.

Fred

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 11:35 AM by saffronbilli Star rating in Dorset and Villamart.... 63 posts Send private message

We always carry in our hand luggage things like sausages, bacon and cheese and never had a problem. Occasionally the bag gets searched as the sausages must look rather suspicious but never had them taken off of us! This is with both Ryanair and Easyjet.

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 12:01 PM by lindaw164 Star rating in Glasgow and Jardins .... 253 posts Send private message

lindaw164´s avatar

When I was travelling out to Spain in July with Ryanair I took sausages, bacon and cheese (I take bacon because I don't like thick cut stuff) without any problem and I ended up having to take them out my hand luggage (made it too heavy) and put them in my jacket pocket (learned that from the guy on the TV)

Linda

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 12:20 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Thanks for the info folks. I wondered about bring cheese from UK next visit.

Jean

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 2:15 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

If you will be on the Costa del Sol there is an ICELAND in Fuengirola!

Loads of ENGLISH FOOD!

Need i say, Spanish food is just as good!

Joan

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 4:20 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Hi Joan

I must agree with you about Spanish food but have not found a Spanish cheese we like as much as the crumbly English cheeses. Can you recommend any? I prefer to buy from Spanish shops if I can.

Jean

PS We have an Iceland near us in San Javier

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

For Justin! - 5 posts
Any remortgage deals on offer ? - 4 posts
Cambank difficult to deal with - 3 posts
NEW DEPARTMENT STORES ON LAND NEAR LA ZENIA N332 TOLL ANY ONE NO WHEN - 3 posts
British Special Needs Schools in Granada - 3 posts
Ford Fiesta - UK reg - Taxed & MOT - 4 posts
Moto GP - 11 posts
carravans in spain - 1 posts
Puente 11 Calahonda - 0 posts
When do minutes become legal - 9 posts
AMMEX ADMINISTRATORS IN SABINILLAS - 12 posts
Fish Market in San Pedro - 0 posts
Moving to Murcia area Jan 2011 - 2 posts
we will be off in 3 weeks and we carnt wait! - 3 posts
We are moving to Hondon mid next year - 7 posts
Any Suggestion or Help on How to Deal with This Lawyer - 11 posts
Jokes - 27 posts
DoYouSpain appear to price match! - 6 posts
swimming pool fences in winter - 9 posts
Skype phone - 2 posts
Fuengirola - Feenix Furniture and Imperial Furniture - 3 posts
Decode -alicante car hire - 4 posts
Costs and charges for selling property? - 25 posts
Paramount in Murcia- any opinions? - 10 posts
English teacher for 6 & 8 year old - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x