No ADSL cable - what option for internet connection?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Sep 2010 12:00 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Just wondered if anyone can help - we're considering moving to a development which has telephone lines, but where Telefonica has yet to run cable for ADSL and they apparently won't until pressured. What are our options for accessing Internet on our computers? We need reliable internet connection, with a decent speed. I've looked at movistar, vodafone and orange websites but can't make head nor tail! Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Like 0      
16 Sep 2010 9:10 AM by Valentinaradu Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

Hi Pitby, I had the same problems before moving to DV where I was lucky  to be able to have the ADSL and line from Telefonica.

But before, we started with a pay as you go card for internet from Yoigo (we did not have NIE) that worked reasonably well, but not enough. After, we got a modem from Movistar, 3,5GB, that works only if you are in the towns. If you go in an urbanization that is up on a hill or away from the town it goes very low. The good think with this contract is that I got a laptop, so even if I pay my contract is useful in case I need internet when I am out, in a meeting, etc.

So, there is a third choice, that I did not try, because we got the ADSL, but I think it is the best one:

Vodafone had some time ago a wireless modem that you could attach to a plug in modem up to 10GB. It was quite expensive because they sold them individually, but it might work. This gives you the highest speed for 2 laptops and it´s wireless. I think you should go in the 3 shops and speak to them and of course, remember that what ever you choose you will have it on a contract and you are stuck with it, so make your best choice :).

I hope I helped a little and good luck and if there is something you don´t understand from their websites let me know, I have already

been in your shoes.

Valentina

Like 0      
16 Sep 2010 9:30 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Thanks, Valentina.

I'm not sure that's going to be enough for what we need  - there are times when we have three computers and the PS3 online!

I think you're right, though - I'll go into the shops and ask them.  I think that's the best way to find out what our options are.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2010 9:38 AM by Valentinaradu Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

Good luck! I am sure they will find a solution!

Like 0      
16 Sep 2010 9:59 AM by Marbella29649 Star rating in Mijas Costa, Costa d.... 58 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Advertising **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 16/09/2010.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2010 10:31 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Jan, when we moved to Manilva we didn't have ADSL either.  We used a company called "Iberbanda" which works as a wireless internet.

I know many who still use it and they are very happy with it.  It tends to be more expensive than Telefonica and the speeds aren't as fast (I think) but you have to have line of sight with Estepona mountain or else it won't work.

May be worth giving them a call.  Their customer service actually used to be really good.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
16 Sep 2010 2:34 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Surly if Telefonica has already installed a telephone service the ADSL will be on the same line that why you have to use splitters filters on the phone .

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2010 3:35 PM by Marbella29649 Star rating in Mijas Costa, Costa d.... 58 posts Send private message

Hi Pitby,

I can help, you can pm me for details or check my website.

I can't give any details on the board as it's classed as advertising, even though you asked for help.

Regards

Neil

Like 0      
16 Sep 2010 5:17 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Thanks for responses.  Justin, I have looked at Iberbanda, but they seem really expensive!  Mercury (I believe that's who you deal with, Neil) seem slightly cheaper, but not much.  But my concern is, with both, is the connection affected during bad weather, etc.?  I see on Iberbanda's site they guarantee 10% of maximum speed, but at 4Mb/s max that would only equate to about 400kb/s - which is snail's pace!!

Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has used this sort of connection recently/now.

fpegman, I also was under the impression that if you had a landline then adsl was sort of automatic, but apparently not (I'm told!).  Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge to question that information - and I have asked at the Telefonica shop and been told that there is no adsl to this urbanisation and they won't install it until pressured by the local municipality or there are more residents there.   A real bummer!

Like 0      
16 Sep 2010 5:31 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Have you looked at this provider http://www.zefone.com/es-en-index.php3

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2010 6:48 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I wasn't overly impressed with Iberbanda and binned them in February this year. If using for gaming, the pings can be terrible, up to 300ms, for decent gaming you need under 20ish!!

If you have a phone line, ou should be able to receive adsl but..... Only if there is equipment in the exchange which it sounds like you don't have.

I was lead to believe that the Euphony dongle was good You can also buy a router to plug the dongle into so that you can share the connection wirelessly with the Playstation and laptop.

Mark

Like 0      
16 Sep 2010 7:53 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Just because there are phone lines, unfortunately, doesn't mean that the facility is there for ADSL.  And Telefonica can be very slow to install it in an area where demand may not be very high.

The problems we had with Iberbanda were not weather related, they were more to do with their system getting saturated during the day when lots of people were using it. It used to grind to a halt but I believe they have since increased the capacity.

Maybe the dongle option is the way to go.  I pay 25 Euros per month for unlimited 3G broadband on my phone.  Maybe worth looking into this.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
16 Sep 2010 8:00 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Unfortunately, we need a reliable, fast connection as my husband does a lot of work from home - it really is a necessity.  I can't really see the solution to this - unless Telefonica pull their finger out!  And from what I've heard and understand, I don't think that's going to happen in the near future!

I have 3G on my phone, but at times the signal is undetectable!  Is that on your iPhone, Justin?  When I'm here at DV I hardly ever get 3G!  In fact, I hardly even get a signal at all!!

Like 0      
16 Sep 2010 10:06 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Yeah that's on the iPhone with movistar.

We tend to get a decentish enough signal but the 3G signal is a little hit and miss in the village.  Out of the village it's normally fine.

I think it might be easier to find somewhere else to live than to get a decent internet connection!

Oh the joys.

Justin

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 12:52 AM by cornish-geri Star rating in costa del sol - Mija.... 16 posts Send private message

cornish-geri´s avatar

Hi, depending on what part of the coast you are in, there is a company called Y-internet, who cover most parts of the coast (i was in Mijas Costa) and they offer wireless broadband and telephone service .  They are really nice people and offer good value. 

They have a website y-internet.com

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 7:31 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

Yes, with telefonica not only do you need a phone line but you have to be within 4 kms of the telephone exchange ( same as in the uk, or anywhere ,for that matter ) We use wi-fi .

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 10:22 AM by Marbella29649 Star rating in Mijas Costa, Costa d.... 58 posts Send private message

The weather does not effect the signal.

Y Internet do not provide coverage in that area.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Regards

Neil

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 1:15 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Justin

I pay 25 Euros per month for unlimited 3G broadband on my phone.  Maybe worth looking into this.

Does that include any free calls/texts?  It seems quite high if it's just for internet.  I'm only paying 15 euros+IVA per month for unlimited web access with Vodafone, and it also includes 50mb per day roaming in Europe.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 1:56 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

It's because the handset was about 250 Euros on the 15Euro tariff but 100 Euros on the 25Euro tariff.  So I went for the higher tariff to get the cheaper handset!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Please, be on the look out for this man......... - 7 posts
CAN'T LOG IN ON OTHER COMPUTER - 23 posts
Wording English Classes Ad, What Charge ? - 2 posts
Best Spanish Bank for UK residents - 36 posts
Certificate of Habitation - 14 posts
Endessa-ICP Issues - 7 posts
Is there an Insurance Ombudsman? - 14 posts
MERCEDEZ-BENZ C220 2004 MODEL - 2 posts
Who has first claim? - 6 posts
Immigrants Poem - 1 posts
banco popular English site gone? - 9 posts
Yacom message retrieval. No Spanish, What Numbers to push ? - 0 posts
permission to change windows on a listed property - 5 posts
Demanda Embargo - 2 posts
Suitcases - 0 posts
Happy in Spain again - 5 posts
Easyjet Luton to ALicante - 2 posts
Internet Business - 3 posts
Where's the INSS in Estepona - 4 posts
Jet2 Winter flights back on again Newcastle to Murcia - 1 posts
calahonda solicitor registry fees and notair fees for a 3 bed apartment - 3 posts
calahonda electrician - 1 posts
Car Repairs - 4 posts
lots of info needed about buying on camposol! - 82 posts
Paramount Theme Park in Murcia - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x