the uk gov. stealing money off the poorest

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Aug 2010 12:00 AM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

We have just been told that my wife is not entitled to her D.L.A. as she is now living in Spain most of the time. The disability has not changed. and she  still needs help. We are still in the e.u. so why are the new goverment stealing from the poor to help the rich get richer we all know that the rich caused the problems in the first place and they have to stay rich. Where is the compassion ?   This new goverment is a lot more ruthless than the Thatcher  era which distroyed the industry in the uk, thus causing the rich having to import most of the need of the U.K.   coal, steel,etc

Like 0      
03 Aug 2010 2:01 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

This government is not more ruthless. (IMO) They are at last stopping the gravy train of people ripping off the benefits system.  They are not "stealing" from the poor to help the "rich" get richer either.  In these troubled financial times, sadly, compassion plays no part. If you want the benefits, maybe a return to the UK is the answer.  

If your theory that as we are all part of the EU  you should get benefits etc, then why doesn't Spain pay your wife a disability payment or provide the help she needs? 

I am sorry if I sound unsympathetic to your plight, but a lot of the problems of the UK have been the abuse of the generous benefits given here. 

This message was last edited by Tish on 03/08/2010.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2010 2:21 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Is it not just the Mobility portion of the DLA benefit that has been stopped as the rest of the payment is still to be paid if your wife lives in the EU

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2010 3:16 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Well said Tish.

I'm no expert on tax law but as the government Benefit website states

'To get Disability Living Allowance you must also meet certain other conditions about your residence and presence.'

Not sure how you would meet these requirements if you are living in Spain for most of the time. Prehaps it's about time the UK stopped some of the other universal benefits that thoes over 60 choosing to live offshore have such as winter fuel allowance.

I'm not sure that many people living in Spain are as honest as they should be with the UK tax authorities.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2010 3:51 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes I believe they are looking into the winter fuel allowances, that the expats claim!!!!

Pat

Like 0      
03 Aug 2010 3:55 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Pat and Roy.

That's good news.

Prehaps they will also looking into the ISA accounts being held by non-residents.

The next thing we will have complaints from people that they can't use their 'free' bus passes in Spain.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2010 4:20 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Would any of you report someone that you KNEW were claiming benefits illegally, either from the UK or who were living in an EU country?

Like 0      
03 Aug 2010 4:26 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

The current government are no more ruthless than the previous. Eligibility for DLA has not changed since the new government came in.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/Introductiontofinancialsupport/DG_073387

Sorry, I have to agree with Tish, if DLA was handed out on compassionate grounds the benifit system could not cope.

haydngj, my son is badly disabled, so I do have a little insight to your problems.

Yes Tish happily report them, or alternatively let them spend a few weeks in my sons shoes....that would stop them!!

SUCCESS IS SIMPLY A MATTER OF LUCK....ASK ANY FAILURE!!

Like 0      
03 Aug 2010 4:29 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

How on earth would you know they were claiming benefits illegally and who is qualified to know the circumstance they are claiming for

Fred

Like 0      
03 Aug 2010 4:34 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

fpegman,

Re-read my post.  I wrote KNEW (capital letters) denoting it to be a known fact.  

Like 0      
03 Aug 2010 11:51 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

It is quite obvious  that Tish and the like have the attitude that ''sod you i'm ok' they think that the dissabled should fend for themselves and not bother those who have plenty. I do hope no harm comes to them and they have to suffer any disablement. They can keep there ill gotten gains, don't even try to tell me that none of you weathy people have not employed  an accoultant to look for loophole and avoid paying  tax. The way you come accross smackes of the Dickens era I worked for 50 years  and my wife worked untill she was in her 50s and all that time all the taxes were paid by us both so it is not  a free hand out. think of others Tish. Of course there are the fiddlers in the working class but not as many as there are in the middle classes with thier tax havens

Like 0      
04 Aug 2010 10:34 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Haydengj,  unnecessary and unwarranted remarks...not worthy of an intelligent response.  

Like 0      
05 Aug 2010 2:43 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

Well you think its ok to offend me by insinuating my wife is  a benifit scrounger but under no circumstance must anyone offend you and your selfish like. We never had the opertunities that you and yours have had with the schooling  haveing been on wartime rations untill we were 5 years old and after that low pay for my parents for many years school  was vey basic and snobbery was rife but I mistakenly thought snobs were almost exstinct. Pease excuse my spelling

my son looked after  his disabled  wife up untill here premature death at 35, she was ubable to do anything for her self from the age of 12 he   kept her clean and well fed made her life a little more human taking her on holidays they had two children in the time she was with him  which was for 17 years and when she did leave us  I found that my son was left with quite  a debt because the help he got was not suficiant. I'm not asking your kind for sypathy but I paid off the debt so he could contnue with his life and not scrounge off the state. so up yours you selfish woman tish

Like 0      
05 Aug 2010 3:56 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

haydngj. Your reply was rude and unnecessarily insulting. At no time did Tish imply that your wife was a benefit scrounger. Humble beginnings do not excuse rudeness. I was born  in 1945 in the east end of London so know all about poverty. Our schooling was basic but we all learnt to read and write. That, and a lot of hard work was all you needed to better oneself then. Snobbery had no place in my education and I certainly don't think that I was looked down on because of an accident of birth. You can't use that as an excuse for the rest of your life.

Also I thought that DLA was not a means tested benefit therefore was available to all who qualified, regardless of income. It is very easy to find out that DLA is not usually paid abroad and that surely you should have taken that into account before committing to a move. It's no good moaning now.

It amazes me that people expect the best of both countries ie the benefits of the UK and the lifestyle of Spain. How I wish that life was like that!

I am not unsympathetic to your situation,haydngj but really can't see how you can say that the UK Government is 'stealing' money off you and your wife. After all YOU chose to put yourself outside the UK benefit system.

I think that perhaps on reflection you might consider that Tish is owed an apology?

G.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2010 4:21 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Well said xetog.

haydngj you started this thread by heading it 'the UK gov stealing money off the poorest' -- I have to point out the Government HAVE NO MONEY other than that they collect from tax from Companies and the good people who reside in the UK. As I said it my previous post it seems only right and proper that they allocate their spending to people who are UK residents. Indeed this is the 'rule' to be able to receive DLA. No one is saying a UK resident should not receive DLA, but one must meet the requirement to be a resident.

There is really no need to be rude to other members of the forum when the problem seems to be of your own making.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2010 4:24 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Just to clarify the situation this is from the Government website and I aggre with the comments made re rudeness to Tish

General FAQs

What are my pension and benefit entitlements if I live in Spain?

UK State pensions as well as some other benefits are payable in Spain. Nevertheless, certain UK benefits are not payable if you go to Spain (e.g. Income Support, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, Disability Living Allowance mobility component). Other benefits are exportable in certain circumstances (e.g. Incapacity Benefit, contribution-based Jobseekers Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance care component).

If you are concerned about how moving abroad will affect your benefits, you should contact the International Pension Centre (IPC) in the UK, as they will be able to advise you regarding your specific case. They can be contacted at:

International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
NE98 1BA
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 191 218 7777 (08:00-20:00 Monday to Friday)
Fax:+44 (0) 191 218 7381
Email: tvp.internationalqueries@thepensionservice.gsi.gov.uk

Your Social Security Insurance, Benefits and Healthcare Rights in the European Economic Area are explained in the SA29 leaflet (ISBN 92-894-20979) produced by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). You can download and also get more information about National Insurance contributions, Benefits, Medical Services and other issues, from the DWP website

Fred

Like 0      
05 Aug 2010 4:49 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

D B S

The european courts ruled that the DLA minus the Mobility allowance must to be paid to claiments living in the EU the UK goverment changed the words  "must be paid" to "may be paid" and are using that as a basis for refusing TO PAY THE BENEFIT TO SOME PEOPLE BUT ARE PAYING TO THOSE THAT APPEAL

So my advice to haydngj is to get the leaflets and appeal against the desicion but please try to treat members with a bit of civility .

This message was last edited by fpegman on 05/08/2010.

Fred

Like 0      
05 Aug 2010 4:59 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

fpegman, the UK government are right to do their best to restrict the benefits to those that are residents and really need help. Else, benefits would be available to all those that decide, like me, to reside else where.

By all means provide advise to people to appeal, but I would provide a caution that an appeal will cost monies and you should only go down that route if you have a chance of winning. I suspect with the 'new' government looking to save as much as possible, such an appeal could end up in the long grass and appealant out of pocket.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2010 5:17 PM by TheQuietMan Star rating in UK and very occasion.... 535 posts Send private message

I read this thread with interest and agree on the importance of civility between forum members. I really cant see where the issue of who has more money and who may or may not be a snob has anything to do with the title of the thread, you could argue that anyone who can afford to live outside the UK will be considered to be quite wealthy by many working class people.  There are rules about benefits and anyone in receipt of benefits must expect to have them checked or altered occasionally. So I felt I must point out that an appeal is likely the best way forward as the UK government are looking at ways to reduce the amount of benefits they pay out and so sadly some rules may be more strongly enforced than before or even changed. I just wanted to point out that it was splashed across the newspapers earlier this week that an injured serviceman had had his benefits slashed and wasnt that terrible? Yes it is, but the authorities were quick to point out that he may not have had them slashed if he had completed the necessary paperwork and made an appeal on their decision. They acted on the information they had and welcomed additional information to help them make a decision. So I can only suggest haydngj makes the appropriate enquires and hopefully can make an appeal but if the time he and his wife are spending in Spain exceeds the time limit for some part of the DLA maybe they do have to reconsider their decision.

This just serves to underline the importance of taking very clear advice when making such a big move.

Tony.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2010 5:25 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

This it why the Gov't choose to deal with claimants ruthlessly, and quite rightly so.  These type of people ruin it for every legitimate claimant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zghEnyjHXeM

And ALL he got was a 12 month CSO and 120 hrs of unpaid community workfor ripping us (the tax payer) off of £20000 - disgusting.

Copy and paste into a new browser to see.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish Car HPI check - 1 posts
BANK GUARANTEES PETITION - LEY 57/68 - 85 posts
EHIC for Spanish Nationals - 7 posts
ice cream - 5 posts
BANK GUARANTEES PETITION - LEY 57/68 - 2 posts
spanish lessons - 3 posts
FREE HEALTHCARE? - 8 posts
Internet Savvy Person Wanted - 4 posts
ESCUDERO PROMOTORS - 3 posts
can I ask the elecricity & water company to do a real reading before renters move in my apt? - 1 posts
Car Recovery from Malaga to Orihuela - 2 posts
Nationwide changes - 79 posts
Success claiming under a bank guarantee - 41 posts
driving in alicante city - 2 posts
Registration for Municipal Election - 2 posts
RYANAIR WINTER FLIGHTS TO MURCIA - 23 posts
QUOTES PLEASE FOR CUPBOARD UNDER STAIRS INSIDE JARDINES APARTMENT - 3 posts
hello - 1 posts
Non-Payers on Community - What are the Options - 8 posts
Ryan Air Rip-Off - 54 posts
punta prima - 4 posts
cam bank charge pentioners 13,000euro intrest for morgage late payment - 3 posts
Are Lilos Illegal In Spain - 21 posts
looking to buy - 2 posts
FREE tour in Spain - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 62

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x