Are Lilos Illegal In Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by cliffmason Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone

We own an apartment on private residence near to Villa Martin, Costa Blanca South. Last year some of our residences decided that in the month of August Lilo's will be banned in the pool. Our pool is big its 25 meters long we have 90 one bed apartments belonging to it and around 20 people live there on a permanent basis. During school holidays the number of people around the pool varies from none to the most I have ever seen is 50. Because our permanent residences don’t like the fact that people our using "there pool" and "kids are running around shouting" they have said it is illegal to have lilos in the pool and "they will have to pay for a life guard if lilos are in the pool". We have pointed out that it isn’t just there pool and kids on holiday do run around etc and if WE have a lifeguard WE ALL would have to pay.

This subject was subject to major discussions in this year’s residence meeting and it was decided that swimming aids are allowed in the pool and large inflatables are not allowed. No size or description other than that has been talked about.

We have informed our children that they can use there inflatable’s in the pool but only when the pool isn’t busy and they must remove them when they come out of the water, we think this is reasonable.

Could someone please advice me are Lilos Illegal in private pools in Spain?

This subject believe it or not is ruining our otherwise beautiful residency, it’s un-believable.

Thanks & I await your valued comments.

Cliff Mason

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 4:23 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

They aren't illegal, but if a vote has been taken at an agm banning them, then it becomes a part of the community rules. It is the thoughtless "I am the only person here" attitude of some people with inflatable and balls in the pool area that causes this problem. Our urb doesn't allow inflatables or balls in the pool area, but............  I hav broken this rule myself a few times when there are only 3 or 4 people in the area. As soon as others arrive, it is packed up and put to one side until the pool area empties again.

Mark

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 4:33 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

As Mark says, it's down to the community rules.

The problem is that even for large pools, if there are too many lilos and inflatable dinghis, the pool gets overtaken very quickly with these and it actually becomes very dangerous for children who can start panicing if they get stuck underneath one.  Pools are very dangerous, there are many deaths every year and I wholeheartedly agree with banning inflatables from pools.

There is plenty of space in the sea for such things.

If you don't have a lifeguard at the moment it means that your pool isn't actually that big (over a certain size you need one by law) so even more reason to ban them.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 8:28 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I absolutely agree with the previous two posts. If the community has voted and passed a ruling, it must be obeyed. (In fact, if the decision has been properly recorded in registered minutes, it is law). This is perfectly democratic, and although those responsible for introducing such rules are often seen as killjoys by those that don't like the rule, on the other hand those that think they are above the law are equally seen as disrespectful, arrogant and irresponsible. I've said it before - breaking a rule just a little bit (for example when there's hardly anybody else in the pool to bother) does not make it OK. Others see the rules being broken and think "oh what the hell, nobody here obeys the rules so why should I?" The next stage is total anarchy and your "otherwise beautiful" community will be ruined.

Comprehensive article on pool regulations by Maria de Castro here

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 11:22 PM by Joe1949 Star rating in Manchester. 61 posts Send private message

My apartment is on a lovely complex but I have put it up for sale because people like the first poster have ruined it for us.

We banned inflatables -they are a dangerous nuisance purely because a large number of selfish adults will let their sprogs run riot in the pool spoiling everyone elses enjoyment by excessive rowdy behaviour. As long as their indulged brats are merrily shrieking at full tilt all is well with their world.

I am one of those people who cannot just look away -so when I see someone roll up to the pool with their lilo,chuck their towel over the Pool Rules Notice,leap in the pool without any thought to showering I feel obliged to point out the Community Rules. Some just sulk ,some have a brain fart but no sooner has order been restored than some new muppet comes running round the corner with their dinghy or such. So with the previous mob glaring at me I am obliged to step in again & again & again.

So please go ahead and drown your foul offspring and those  innocent people who actually just fancy a swim rather than join in your version of wet 'n wild.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2010 4:22 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

I understood Lilo s were illegal in the Valencian area?

Certainly they are banned in every Communal pool in this area.

Cliffmason, you need to understand the difference between a Communal pool and a private pool. A Communal pool is private to those members of the Community who own the Communal elements and is therefore governed by Community rules. A private pool is one used only by 'a family' within their own grounds and therefore regulated only by whatever those people wish to do in it! ( more or less!! )

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
09 Nov 2010 9:52 PM by cliffmason Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Please respest terms of posting **

Our pool is 25 meters long and 10/11 meters wide, its set in gardens that are two or three times bigger than the pool. In august the busy month you may see 30 people around the pool area out of August you will see 3 to 5 people.

I tollay agree if its passed at the AGM that Lilos etc are banned then that’s it they are banned and I will stand by that, BUT in our community they only want to ban them in August, that cannot be right.

** EDITED - Please respest terms of posting **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 09/11/2010.

Like 0      
10 Nov 2010 9:41 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

I agree with Karensun - we have been told by our Administrator that inflatables are illegal in Valencia.  As a community however, we do accept that if the pool isn't busy there is no harm in someone having a lilo in the pool - but it then becomes a big issue when the pool becomes more crowded.  We have had many altercations with people - some even leave their lilos in the water when they are lying on the grass sunbathing and get really stroppy when asked politely to remove them.

It would be much easier to enforce a total ban but we try to be reasonable - just a pity we don't always get the same response from others!

Like 0      
10 Nov 2010 4:39 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If you discreetly attach a safety pin to your swim wear, then when you go in the swimming pool, to swim, you can equally discreetly deal with the menace. 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
11 Nov 2010 12:59 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Good one Roberto

Like 0      
11 Nov 2010 7:06 PM by Joe1949 Star rating in Manchester. 61 posts Send private message

My wife's earing also suffices..

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 8:44 AM by cliffmason Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi,

I don’t want to be offensive like Joe(shows a lack of intelligence Joe) but popping people inflatable’s won’t help the situation (Roberto) I suppose if I was living in Spain and all of these people suddenly turned up daring to enjoy themselves in what you think is YOUR pool, I wouldn’t like it. Sorry guys the fact is in my situation we all own the pool and the gardens and we all respect them, the permanent residence need to get over that. Is it coincidence that the only residence who want to enforce this rule to the enth degree are from the UK, we have Spanish, French and other none UK ex pats who don’t have a problem with it. As long as it doesn’t harm anyone else or spoil anyone enjoyment I really don’t see what the issue is. If I ever see anyone on holiday at our place with Lilos I would always explain the rule but say just take them out when the chosen few get to the pool to do what they want.

Apologies if I have offended you I’m just having a little bit of banter with you, but seriously can anyone direct me to any officially law that cover our part of Spain (Valencia). The more I research this the more I’m begging to think there is no such law and it’s just a health and safety recommendation

Please if anyone has any links or websites, please send them. Thank you.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 11:36 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Original Post: "Thanks & I await your valued comments"........but please, only if you agree with the original poster's views, otherwise you can all just b*gger off.

No offence meant.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 1:56 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Cliffmason,

Regardless of your thoughts if the community has a proper management structure and have laid down rules for the pool use, taking into account local laws (and believe me they are out there) then I am afraid if you flount them then a price will have to be paid if god forbid anyone chooses to sue you for negligence or breaking rules agreed by the community and passed at AGM.

If you do not agree with the set rules then as an owner (Providing community fee's are up to date) then you can ask for clarification or change at the AGM with of course the support of your fellow owners.

I studied and took into consideration all rules and legislation partaining to my chosen community prior to purchasing my property.

I do not agree with all of them but balance the good with the bad, and consider other people when enjoying my home.

Maybe old fashoined values but I value them.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 4:29 PM by cliffmason Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thank you for your valued comments.

But seriousley is there anyone out there that has any official Spanish documentation that outlines this issue, I have seen loads of conflicting comments and really all I want to know is there a law in the Valencian region of Spain covering this issue. I really dont think there is.

I take on board all of your comments regarding if its voted in at the AGM etc and to be honest if it is it is. Im a law abiending person who really dosnt like to rock the boat, but I dont like the way the few in commumity are trying to run it to there advantage and not for everyone.

thank you.

No offence taken Roberto. 

another funny thing our community like this web site no one does things up front, funny how not many people put there real names to things isnt it.!! Enjoy 

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 5:00 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not entirely sure what you mean by the last sentence, but if members of your community who are "running" things prefer to remain anonymous it is probably because they don't want to run the risk of vendettas being waged against them by those who disagree with the way they do things. That's why it's best for the administrator, as a neutral party, to be the one to communicate with individual owners.

As for this website / forum, does it make one iota of difference what username we choose? We are unlikely to ever meet in the real world, but if we do (you'll recognise me instantly from my profile photo) I'll be more than happy to formally introduce myself to you, and supply you with my real name.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 5:23 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

This message was last edited by Candyfloss on 12/11/2010.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 5:55 PM by Hammersfan Star rating in Body in Essex, Heart.... 160 posts Send private message

A significant amount of the problems with society today, particularly in the UK...but also demonstrated here, is that people don't believe that laws or rules should apply to them so they ignore them.

Two examples . My train to work has a "quiet zone" for those of us who wish to get away from other peoples's mobile phone conversations and "personal" stereos. there are notices all over the place and even announcements over the tannoy, but does that stop the selfish moron using their phones or baring out their "music". And when you point out to people that this is a quiet zone, the amount of abuse  that you get is amazing..one guy even offered to "teach me a lesson"...I'm not a huge guy,  but I am a martial arts black belt. so in the end he did himself a favour by not trying anything, but what a performance...

Second Example, the footpath I walk down to the station has big "No Cycling" notices at either end (it's very narrow running alonside the railway and is very busy), but the amount of people who whizz down there on their bikes is unbelieveable. The other day a guy came up behind me and kept ringing his bell for me to move over and let him pass, but i "cocked a deaf un" and walked along at my own pace and he ended up having to walk along behind me.

Back to this subject. If those are the rules you have to obey them and then challenge them at your next AGM, As Al Murray says "You gotta have rules, where would you be if there were no rules ?.................................FRANCE!"

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 6:53 PM by Joe1949 Star rating in Manchester. 61 posts Send private message

Well said Hammersfan...

I 'turned a blind eye' to a few kids in the pool with lilos. They then came back with what resembled an RNLI  Liferaft and were 'miffed' when asked to remove the thing.  Mum & Dad then roll up waning  to know why we were spoiling there little darlings fun. By now everyone had  to get out of the pool. Common sense is not  something holidaymakers tend to have lots of nor respect for others..

Lilos etc are dangerous to other pool users.They discourage others wishing to use the Pool .If you allow them having said they are not permitted I guess your Community may be liable for any injury arising from their subsequent use.

So sorry Cliffmason its much better if the Pool Rules ban them and you just accept it ...

Like 0      
13 Nov 2010 10:14 AM by cliffmason Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks for your comments, love yours Roberto, we must look like each other looking at your picture. Hammersfan (never mind)I agree with you. Joe1949 I will accept it if it gets voted in or someone can show this law. Candyfloss your reply was edited, aopolgies if I have upset you.

Guys, I will and do respect any rules we have in our community. I just want to know if large inflatables are banned in pools in Spain, is there a spanish law that covers this subject, I cant find one or anyone who can show me one.

I personally think in my case if someone is in our pool on a lilo and its not doing anyone any harm etc I cant see the problem. If lets say the pool has 10 people in it on lilos and people want to swim etc then yes thats not fair. To be honest the size of our pool with 10 people in it, it woul'nt make much differance.I'm a firm beliver that if people leave the lilos in the pool un attended it gets thrown, I voted fro that in our last AGM. My point about the law is people are saying its against the law so thats why we need to ban them and if thats the case then fine Im happy, but I honestly think there isnt a law just talk. The real reason is in 2008 we had a load of holiday makers in August around the pool and I have to say a lot of inflatables and the 10 of so people who live there didnt like it and started to talk about this law. As a few of you have said if things are passed at an AGM then thats it.

Please can someone direct me or show me this law?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

looking to buy - 2 posts
FREE tour in Spain - 0 posts
Lost the use of remote on sky digi box - 2 posts
the cam bank - 6 posts
Thread Title not displayed - 2 posts
estae agent? - 6 posts
Need information and advise - 3 posts
A weeks holiday, but destination needed - 3 posts
4 Car Tyres including fitting from only €99 - 0 posts
Kayak or canoe wanted. - 0 posts
Quad bike wanted - 0 posts
Sky + Box or similar - 1 posts
WANTED, car or van, also m,cycle, any size - 0 posts
WANTED;fairprice paid will travel upto 300 miles to collect?lcd flatscreen, 32.37 or 40 inch, also sky digi box or similar - 0 posts
part removals uk to spain - 5 posts
Golf Buggy Wanted - 2 posts
Golf Buggy Wanted - 4 posts
ADDRESS for smd - 1 posts
"Taster" Music Lessons - 0 posts
CAMINO DE CASTILLA (WHITE WINE) - 0 posts
COCKROACHES-PLEASE, PLEASE HELP! - 21 posts
HELP!! - 11 posts
WE NEED A BETTER COMMUNITY FORUM FROM EOS - 2 posts
Wine in a box - 0 posts
TOBI STEAMER FOR SALE - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x