Brits banned from being blood donors!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Because of a European ruling (1991) Britons who lived in the UK between 1980 and 1993 aren’t allowed to donate blood anywhere in the UK. It isn’t restricted to British nationals; just anyone who lived in the UK during those 13 years.

There doesn’t seem to be any chance of the ban being lifted. It is a pity as according to the Valencian health authority the Brits were generous donors, which was appreciated.
Does anyone have any feedback on this? – Mike

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 8:22 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Sorry; that should read 'not allowed to donate blood anywhere in the EU'

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 9:26 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Not quite everywhere in the EU as you can still give blood in the UK.

Canada also prohibits people who were resident in the UK during those years from giving blood and the USA prohibits you from giving blood if you lived for a cumulative total of 3 months or more between 1980 to 1996.  The EU rule is that you cannot give blood if you were resident in UK for a cumulative period of 5 years or more from 1980 to 1996. 

It is up to member countries to implement and modify as they feel fit.  The biggest exclusion for blood donors is from MSM (Men having Sex with Men) with is also a EU regulation.  However, some countries, Italy for example, now allow donors from this group.  Without searching, I would hazard a guess that some other EU countries have also waived the British residency rule as well.  It is up to the Spanish Health Authorities to fix the rules. 

I understand that CJD affects the nerve tissues, primarily the brain and spinal column, and cannot be detected in the blood during the early stages.

Edited to say:  The incubation period of vCJD has been show to be from 6.5 years with an average incubation period of 10 years. Some 40% of caucasians hold the gene making one susceptible to this.

"Now for the science bit"

Genetic susceptibility: Up to now, all tested cases of vCJD have been methionine homozygotes at codon 129 of the PrP gene (a genotype present in approximately 40% of Caucasian populations), with an estimated mean incubation period of about 10 years. If other genotypes are not completely resistant to infection but have longer incubation periods, as suggested in kuru and growth hormone-related CJD, subsequent epidemics in these genotypes may yet appear.

This message was last edited by bobaol on 05/07/2010.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2010 9:12 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

I too am disappointed that my donation was rejected last week. I have a fairly rare blood group and the doctor said how sorry he was that he couldn't take it, but I can understand they want to protect their people.

IF I go back to the UK for a holiday I'll find somewhere to donate - I only need one more to have given 50 times! And I've got to do it before I get too old!!!

Irene

Like 0      
07 Jul 2010 10:48 AM by Gorth1 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi  They do not accept blood donors in Ireland also if you lived in the Uk

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Help! transfer from alicante airport to los montesinos. - 7 posts
holidayrentalhomes.com - 3 posts
Land Grab Only In Spain? - 5 posts
Help wanted - 2 posts
Help Wanted - 11 posts
Help wanted - 0 posts
Euro millions lottery - 2 posts
Long term rental Alcaidesa - 0 posts
Media Markt VAT free day - 4th and 5th July 2010 - 1 posts
Transport required - 0 posts
Hi there another newbie thinking about walking the walk - 4 posts
BMIbaby cancellations - 13 posts
Boot Sale - 2 posts
Any similar experiences....? - 0 posts
Proposed changes to Spanish Health system - 1 posts
Ferries to Southern Spain - 2 posts
Warning to iPod/ iPhone users updating to OS4 - 0 posts
TEFL teaching vacancies - 13 posts
Any recomendations on a good solicitor - 10 posts
Do you need to hire a car in the Torrevieja area? - 0 posts
dont like heights - help - 4 posts
Bad news in the U.K. - 78 posts
Good news in the UK :-) - 82 posts
iPhone, iPad problems - 13 posts
N.I.E PLAYA FLAMENCA - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x