Land Grab Only In Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by Jet48 Star rating in Estepona / Great Yar.... 106 posts Send private message

Jet48´s avatar

If you thought that the Land Grab is something that only happens in Spain think again, it appears it can happen in the UK to, even when you use what you think are competent solicitors. I read the following article today.

I bought my home through ***** Estate Agents. They told me that I should use ***** Solicitors to handle the conveyancing. Indeed, I think it is fair to say that they pressured me into using the solicitors. The solicitor handling the matter,  told me that all the required legal searches had been made, and that they were no problems: I would get clear title to the house. Then about a month after I moved in I got a letter from another firm of solicitors representing my next door neighbours. They claimed that because my neighbours had been using part of my garden for many years before I bought the land I would have to turn over about two-thirds of my garden to my neighbours, and that I would not get any money for that land! At first I thought it was a joke, I had never heard of such a thing. But as the months went by this nightmare became very real. I asked my solicitors why they had not caught this problem. Their response was meaningless drivel: Just fancy legal words and gobbledygook.I asked my solicitors what they would do to help me: They said that they would be happy to represent me at a rate £200 per hour for their time. I said that since they caused the problem it was only fair that they absorb the cost of fixing it. But they refused to give me any help for free. I have now paid them over £15,000 and still they failed to save my land. The court gave my land to my neighbour, and I will never get any compensation. To add insult to injury, I even had to pay my neighbour's costs that they incurred in stealing my land. As for the solicitors, they have made a handsome profit for their incompetence. But I wonder, was it just incompetence, or did they plan it to work out this way all along? I have since learned that the estate agents have a very cosy relationship with the solicitors, they send each other a lot of business.
18/01/2010  '

So it would seem it does not matter where you are, injustice can happen even though you think you have done everything right to protect your interests.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 1:36 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

And don't even think about buying a house in Cyprus for the same reasons.  Even though the Greek/Turkish conflict there was in 1974 (36 years ago) people are still having to hand over their land due to court rulings saying they are illegal.  And that is in both the north and the south of the island.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 1:47 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

The saga of Cyprus in 1974 is well documented, Bob. I'd be seriously concerned if I was to buy there that something was going to be cocked up. I would hope the courts would ensure the original owners were given their property & land back all over the island but it causes hardship on those who bought in good faith since 1974.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 2:12 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

I worked as an estate agent in the UK for 13 years and there are hundreds of examples of corruption within the industry..............i would imagine there is  not a country in the world spared from this.................

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 3:21 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Oh Dear,

Adverse possession for 12 years continuous occupation can result in a claim, it is negated if there was a break in use or if it was licensed use (your predecessor  allowing use of part of the garden because he/she could not maintain it).

However any such use should have been disclosed to proper enquiry by your solicitor at pre-purchase.

You may have a claim against either or both parties.

As I understand it, this special "defend your land scenario" is unique to the UK and the European Court do not like it.

I believe that "professional" corruption is by far the biggest crime in the world today and I despair of it ever being properly addressed.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 3:34 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Sorry, I should have added that shared use is no good, the rightful owner/titled owner has got to be excluded from the land,

all in all it should have been extremely difficult to prove unless the land was fully fenced off and you would have seen that on inspection or survey

Regards

Norman

This message was last edited by normansands on 05/07/2010.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Help wanted - 2 posts
Help Wanted - 11 posts
Help wanted - 0 posts
Euro millions lottery - 2 posts
Long term rental Alcaidesa - 0 posts
Media Markt VAT free day - 4th and 5th July 2010 - 1 posts
Transport required - 0 posts
Hi there another newbie thinking about walking the walk - 4 posts
BMIbaby cancellations - 13 posts
Boot Sale - 2 posts
Any similar experiences....? - 0 posts
Proposed changes to Spanish Health system - 1 posts
Ferries to Southern Spain - 2 posts
Warning to iPod/ iPhone users updating to OS4 - 0 posts
TEFL teaching vacancies - 13 posts
Any recomendations on a good solicitor - 10 posts
Do you need to hire a car in the Torrevieja area? - 0 posts
dont like heights - help - 4 posts
Bad news in the U.K. - 78 posts
Good news in the UK :-) - 82 posts
iPhone, iPad problems - 13 posts
N.I.E PLAYA FLAMENCA - 10 posts
Online check in Ryanair - 16 posts
jet ski hire - 0 posts
90% mortgage required - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x