mariadecastro

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Feb 2010 12:00 AM by disenchanted Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi Maria, can you please offer some advice here;

Down at El Pinet we are still awaiting site completion and COH.  You will be aware from threads below that the residents have decided to pay for their services (water and electricity) rather than challenge San Jose to pay them.

Last year a few residents called a meeting and formed an ad-hoc community.  At this meeting they decided to pay €70 towards services and €20 towards Community fees each month.  They also decided that non-residents (like myself) would pay €40 plus €20 per month regardless of how much time they spent in Spain.  Unsurprisingly there were many defaulters and so the committee opted to spend all of the services fees and then all of the community fees on their water and electricity bills.  This still left them in debt.

They have since discovered that their committee was illegal (too big) and disolved it.  The same few residents (18 owners out of several hundred) called an EGM to elect 3 smaller committees comprising of roughly the same people.  They have now decided to change the community fee payments to €90 for residents and €60 for non-residents.  It is their intention to spend the community fees to pay for all their services.  They also appointed an Administrator who is threatening non-payers with legal action if they do not submit to their payment demands for the past year (when the committee was not even a legal  entity).

I am really concerned at the way this is developing as I am unable to visit my property very often due to ill-health.  I  have not been to Spain for almost 3 years yet I am now being told to pay over €500 for water and electricity which I have not used.  I understand my responsibility towards community fees and I have paid these in full, although I believe it is unfair that these have been spent on subsidising services for the residents.

Can this be fair?

Can you please advise me on where I will stand if I do not pay these fees.  I am now receiving official demands from the Administrator and I am extremely concerned that I will end up in a court which I cannot attend.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2010 6:47 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Hi disenchanted,

There is lots of info on EOS on running a community and the following link should get you started:-

www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/horizontal-laws.pdf

You can also  search for the answers  if you click the 'Search EOS' text at the top of this page (it's under 'COMMUNITY') .

One thing I do know about community fees is that the amount each member pays is calculated on the size of their property as a percentage of the total community (habitable area including terrace or patio) irrespective of whether   they are resident or non-resident. Residency status has no bearing on the charges if you use it one week per year or 52 weeks per year the fees are the same.Similarly, apartment blocks with lifts usually ALL pay towards the maintenance of the lifts-even those people who live on the ground floor.

The fee each owner is charged is worked out as a percentage of the total costs to run the community. I.e., if your apartment  works out at 12% of the total habitable area of the community, then you will be liable for 12% of the running costs.

Personally I would not be paying anyone anything until the community was properly set up and registered.

Until Maria comes along, probably on Monday and usually very early, I hope I have answered some of your questions and pointed you in the direction of some additional information.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2010 7:17 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I cannot see the legal standing of that  community to impose the payment of the fees to all owners as you  said it was formed by 18 members out of hundreds. Was there a written agreement? Can I see it?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
15 Feb 2010 10:32 AM by disenchanted Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi Maria,

There was no written agreement and no agenda was sent out prior to the meeting. Minutes were sent out one month later along with the first demand for payment.

The minutes were very vague and just stated that the new community fees for non-residents will be €60. They are now telling us that they will use €40 of this money to pay for their own use of electricity and water whilst they are on builder’s supply. They have already used all of our community funds for this purpose.

Can we be forced to pay for their use of utilities whilst we do not live there?  Is this all legal?

Thanks,

disenchanted

Like 0      
15 Feb 2010 10:37 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

No legal at all.

M

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

La Cala Procession - 1 posts
Pure Breed horse and donkey company in severe problems, please help! - 3 posts
HELP - what do I need to be prepaired? - 2 posts
White goods wanted MM02 - 0 posts
Looking for a beautiful holiday apartment in Marbella area? - 0 posts
mobile phones - 4 posts
Nursing and care staff wanted – Costa del Sol - 2 posts
Selling email addresses? - 1 posts
Animal Cruelty - 1 posts
Replacement Repsol Gas Bottles for Calpe area - 3 posts
art in spain? - 0 posts
Bichon Frise breeder - 0 posts
Deposit for a private purchase? who holds it - 6 posts
So I have bought my Euro Millions ticket for this friday..... - 4 posts
La Linea? the good the bad and the Ugly? Wots it really like - 7 posts
Hacienda Riquelme - Full Furnishing Required - 0 posts
Any tips/recommendations for travelling on train from Barcelona to Alicante - 3 posts
Free English Premier League football on Spanish TV - 4 posts
Hi I'm Maureen - Bought apartment in Torrievieja - 5 posts
Dacion el pago - handing back the keys - 8 posts
Hi there...I´m new here :-) - 5 posts
Speeding Fine - Please help - 3 posts
Switching your keyboard from English to Spanish - 9 posts
Car Hire, Malaga Airport. - 13 posts
Hertz Car Hire - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x