La Linea? the good the bad and the Ugly? Wots it really like

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Feb 2010 12:00 AM by Manyarna Star rating in the UK- Heart is in .... 59 posts Send private message

Hi All

We have got the chance of spending some time in La linea and working in Gib. Not full time but blocks of 3 to 4 weeks quite often. OH wants to buy and do either holiday lets when we arent there?

Have been directed to The Rocamar and looked at a couple of Studios with great views. Really cheap?

We dont know the area at all so any advice welcomed. Wont deny that it didnt grab me when we spent a day there? We did spend more time up the coast at Estepona which we loved but seems a far old commute whereas we can walk from Rocamar. Others commute from Near Cadiz ? Chiclana? which we also dont know so again any advice welcome,

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 10:45 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

La Linea has come a long way over the past few years.  It used to be a very poor and rough part of Spain with a huge drugs problem.

Things have improved considerably but there are still areas to it that you'd be best advised to steer clear of.

Prices in the area started going up as renting in Gibrlatar is quite expensive and more people were choosing to rent in La Linea instead.

I may not be the most popular for saying this but you do have to take into account that the nearby oil refinery can be incredibly smelly and some reports do talk about associated health issues.

I would possible have a look at an area such as La Alcaidesa which has grown considerably over the past few years.  It is very quiet though so depends if you like that sort of thing.

Hope this helps.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 5:44 PM by Manyarna Star rating in the UK- Heart is in .... 59 posts Send private message

Thks for the feedback Justin and to those who have pm'd.

It seems that all the Gib agents dont really want to get involved in La linea etc and the big online companys dont seem to do to much down this end of the coast .

If anyone knows any good websites worth a look at they would be appreciated.

Will do some searching and see what i can find out about the possible health problems as nowhere is cheap enough for that.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 6:19 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

La Linea is the only place in Spain where I genuinely feel on edge after dark.  Apparently there have been quite a few murders here.  The park next to the border is notorious for murders and the lads at work jokingly refer to a street in La Linea as murder alley.  Parts of it, particularly on the outskirts, resemble a shanty town.  It must be one of the poorest parts of Spain, which is strange because it is so close to Gibraltar, which is very prosperous.  Then there is the massive oil refinery next to La Linea and the health problems that it has brought to the area.

La Linea does have a couple of redeeming features.  Plaza de la Iglesia is a lovely little square with a church and some tapas bars.  The main street also has some nice little bars.  There is also an unusually high concentration of very good looking women in La Linea.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 7:28 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"There is also an unusually high concentration of very good looking women in La Linea"

Yeah, and on the Poligono in Malaga - you tend to find that in run down and industrial areas!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Feb 2010 5:49 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

A lot of Gibraltanians now live in Santa Margarita ( excuse the spelling ) which is not  far from Gib .   It is a new development with very nice houses etc . Not been there myslef but I know a few peopel who have property there .  One of my staff who comes from LA Linea has recently retired to SM  ( and not La Linea ) .

It must be a good commuting area to Gib

T

Like 0      
24 Feb 2010 10:42 AM by jacko6251 Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Hi Manyarna,

I moved to LA Linea from the UK last December on a permanent basis.

The reason I moved to this part of Spain is because I have friends living both in Gibraltar and La Linea.

As Sanchez 1 said, it does have its ' bad areas ', the boulevard across from the border is known locally as the Chicken Run ! as its where a lot of people have been mugged ( allegedly ) on their way back from Gibraltar in the early hours a little worse for wear !

The boulevard is a long stretch of new shops and bars which is a direct acess to the centre of La Linea, the part by the border has been completed but the other end is a building site as there's no more money left in the coffers to finish it ! 

I havent heard of any murders in LA Linea, but its like all places, be aware of your surroundings and you will be OK.

When I arrived here I stayed with my friends while I looked around at somewhere to rent, I tried a few estate agencies and found a flat after a week of looking.

Be aware that estate agents in Spain will charge the tenant a finders fee, I had to pay the equivalent of two weeks rent on top of the months rent and months deposit required by the landlord, and it all had to be paid in Euros ! 

Most agencies in Gibraltar make no charge to tenants but its wise to ask beforehand !

Santa Margherita is just outside of La Linea, it is a sprawling ' housing estate ' of cloned properties ( how people find their homes is beyond me, they all look the same ! )  and has no infrastructure, no bars, no shops,  and poor road access once on the ' estate'

The Spanish authorities are trying to spruce up the immediate area across from the border with Gib. in an attempt to attract tourism, a new marina has been built and the long stretch of desolate beach to the left has been designated as a future park and walkway but will take an estimated four years to complete !

La Linea is not that bad, view it as ' work in progress ' !! 

Like 0      
28 Feb 2010 10:11 PM by Manyarna Star rating in the UK- Heart is in .... 59 posts Send private message

thanks for all the info and bits,

the "chicken run" sounds like a good attraction for a Stag Do as i have a few useful work-mates getting married so that would be good if they tried to mug them........ could be like a new form of crime prevention....

Bless the spanish agents as they also charge the L/lord 4 weeks rent as a finders fee.... not bad heh..

Wots ur take on the smells in La linea i keep hearing about??

Thanks Tamsin, good to hear someone in La linea made retirement age....

Sanchez... the tapas sounds good to me and im guessing it will be quite cheap?

Roberto,

Problem i have is after a few beers theres a high concentration of good looking women everywhere so i will be used to that.  I was also brought up that if something is to good to be true then it probably is and never talk to strangers so will hopefully be OK . i thought with all i have read about the refinery they would have two heads??hmmm

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hacienda Riquelme - Full Furnishing Required - 0 posts
Any tips/recommendations for travelling on train from Barcelona to Alicante - 3 posts
Free English Premier League football on Spanish TV - 4 posts
Hi I'm Maureen - Bought apartment in Torrievieja - 5 posts
Dacion el pago - handing back the keys - 8 posts
Hi there...I´m new here :-) - 5 posts
Speeding Fine - Please help - 3 posts
Switching your keyboard from English to Spanish - 9 posts
Car Hire, Malaga Airport. - 13 posts
Hertz Car Hire - 6 posts
Great Builder found in Benalmadena !! - 6 posts
ALMERIA AIRPORT - 9 posts
Time For Money To Be Released By Courts - 3 posts
Free wifi in Estepona area? - 2 posts
residents certificate for 94 year old - 3 posts
Animal lovers - 3 posts
Okay, so what's the best way to ask for Beer??? - 46 posts
Ryanair's latest cost cutting?? - 6 posts
Granting of Habertation Certificate - 4 posts
Malaga Airport (AGP) T3 Official Opening - 4 posts
proposed roue railway San Pedro to Estepona - 0 posts
work - 0 posts
Aluminium Box Trailer with secure lid for sale - 1 posts
Credit/Debit Card Scam - 1 posts
INFORMATION NEEDED FOR NIE - 20 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x