Banks Liability Under LEY 57/68

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 May 2010 10:18 AM by johnmfranci5 Star rating. 107 posts Send private message

Thanks for reply Keith and sorry for my misunderstanding.

You have my full support and I think you are doing a tremendous job. As you may have seen on the 'rough justice' thread I am in the process of contacting MEPs/MPS etc. I see now Marias firm is offering "low cost" action for everyone else on bank guarantees etc. As you may appreciate I have thrown many many thousands of wasted legal fees already at this and am reluctant to commit any more.

I wish you well.

john

Like 0      
22 May 2010 12:41 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/3569/legal-tip-277-low-cost-action-against-banks-manifesto-by-costaluzlawyers.aspx

Legal tip 277. Low cost action against Banks. Manifesto by Costaluzlawyers 
22 May 2010 @ 08:46 

Because we see this is what is needed in the most of the cases were people bought off plan and did not receive a Bank Guarantee,

Because claimers are frustrated and tired of waiting for years for a Court decision to be honoured and this do not happen due to the financial status of developers,

Because it is a great tool to try to put some correction to the financial system in off plan purchases for the protection of buyers so we can be sure these current problems will not happen again in our country,

Because we need to show to foreigners that Spain has a strong and coherent legal system,

Because we can offer low cost action to groups of people under the rules of our professional ethical code,

Because Banks have been the necessary element without which the current off-plan disaster in Spain would have never happened,

Because Law 57/68 makes them clearly liable for the lack of Bank Guarantees,

Because we have been studying this action for months with the help of a first class Law Professor who is available to answer questions in Court regarding the report he produced for us,

Because is necessary, because you need it mainly

We are offering to all the EOS members the possibility of joining existing actions against Banks under provision 1.2 of Law 57/68 at a much reduced cost.

Main ground of Law 57/68 is the protection of money advanced by individuals before construction work begins or during it, in many cases the savings of a lifetime. 

The actual preamble or “exposición de motives” of the said Law establishes that all the "abuses in this type of businesses have made as necessary the establishment of general preventive rules which will guarantee both the real and effective application of money advanced by purchasers and prospective customers to the building of the house and to the refund in the event that the building does not take effect". 

The most preventive, general, inalienable obligation that this Law established was for banks or savings banks, where money was paid to by buyers, to secure the establishment of Bank Guarantees or insurance UNDER THEIR LIABILITY. Banks were therefore here established as guardians of legality. 

Please contact us here: web@costaluzlawyers.es if you want further information about this.

Have a great weekend,

Maria L. de Castro

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 May 2010 11:00 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Maria,

What happens if one of the ailing Caja's relating to their claim (i.e. didn't provide a bank guarantee) goes into administration during this legal process that you are advocating? Where does the client stand in terms of retrieving their monies (assuming they have won their original legal case against the developer for breach of contract)?

This message was last edited by ads on 24/05/2010.

Like 0      
24 May 2010 11:39 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Government or any other entity taking over the Bank/Caja would respond.

Best,

MAria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 May 2010 11:44 AM by 1962 Star rating in Iznalloz. 181 posts Send private message

Hi Keith110, well done you.   living in Spain and knowing the beurocracy involved I know how much time and effort you must have put into forming your action group I wish you and your group all the best in your efforts.

Kathy

Like 0      
24 May 2010 12:19 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Thanks for your swift response Maria.

Given that the government have not proved in the slightest sympathetic to the concerns of those caught up in the property scandal to date, how optimistic would you be re taking on the Spanish government or other entity in the event that the Caja Bank(s) went into administration during the process that you are advocating.

Would this not prove another highly risky  and time-consuming exercise?

Sorry if this sounds pessimistic, but I am trying to establish some realism given the above scenario and the news just in re Cajasur Bank.

Like 0      
24 May 2010 12:32 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Everything requires an effort. But we have the tools,  teh legal technique, the persons and the determination.

Best regards,

MAria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
02 Jul 2010 11:43 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

LEY 57/1968 is a short but very important Law which was implemented in the Public Interest on 27 July 1968 specifically to safeguard purchasers deposits paid in good faith to developers for off-plan properties.

The preamble of the Law explains clearly the reasons for its implementation.

The preamble states that there was justified public alarm at the fact that repeated abuses had been taking place with regards to off-plan deposits.  It says the abuses which were obvious criminal acts had a serious disruption of social life, constituted a serious alteration of the social coexistence and caused irreparable damage to trust and good faith.  It says LEY 57/68 was being introduced in the Public Interest to create general preventative standards to ensure the real and effective protection of funds paid in advance by purchasers and to ensure they received a refund in the event that the house building did not take effect.

It appears that 40 years after LEY 57/68 was implemented we are experiencing the same 'repeated abuses' and 'obvious criminal acts'  We now have the exact same situation of a 'serious disruption of social life' which unfortunately for many innocent purchasers has again caused 'irreparable damage to trust and good faith'.

This is a serious public order matter that the Spanish Authorities must tackle immediately.

LEY 57/68 is very clear and provides absolute protection for the purchaser.

It is not LEY 57/68 that has failed.

The failure is that of the authorities whose duty it was to uphold the rule of Law.  Shame on them. 

LEY 57/1968
CLICK HERE FOR THE BANK GUARANTEES IN SPAIN WEBSITE

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
05 Aug 2010 11:25 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

Anyone affected by any type of Bank Guarantee abuse please join the Bank Guarantees in Spain Petition at

www.bankguaranteesinspain.com

Kind regards

Keith

LEY 57/1968
CLICK HERE FOR THE BANK GUARANTEES IN SPAIN WEBSITE

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
24 Feb 2015 5:33 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Seven years ago  this coming June we engaged a lawyer to cancel our contract with the developer of our off-plan property and secure a refund of our deposit of 100,000.00 euros.

So far she has managed to cancel our contract with the developer and to win a case against the developer. Non of these actions resulted in a refund. 

Last August she asked us for more  funds to start a case against the bank (Banco Pastor) to which we paid the deposit. We have heard nothing since we sent the 6,000.00 Euros in September and after requesting an update about two weeks ago  we were told that they are doing some  internal reorganising but will try and get back to us with an update ASAP.

Can anyone tell me if the Fuengirola and Malaga courts are still dealing with backlogs of cases? I expected our lawyer to send us a date for the new court case but so far they have swallowed our money and we have heard nothing.

Like 0      
25 Feb 2015 7:19 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Thank you for the mesages. Our lawyer has now informed us that the barrister is preparing our case and that it should go to court in April (2015).   Six months still seems a long time to wait but I expect as we get older (it is ten years since we paid our deposit) our patience with certain things wears very thin.

Like 1      
25 Feb 2015 7:47 PM by coleen Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

I'm glad this thread has been re-started. could you possibly keep us updated on this Sandra? That would be really appreciated. It's something that I think many of us are still going through. So much uncertainty, so much money!

Like 1      
25 Feb 2015 8:02 PM by JPD Star rating in Hull, East Yorkshire.... 391 posts Send private message

JPD´s avatar

We are still going through it we are in a joint action with hundreds of others we paid our deposit 15 years ago via Palmera Properties our group is the Costa Del Sol Action Group hopefully will get to court this year

Like 0      
25 Feb 2015 8:45 PM by M11Block Star rating. 179 posts Send private message

Our Court Case date against the Bank is not until November 2015. We got this date through in October 2014 exactly 8 years after we put our deposit on. It's nearly 5 years since we won our case against the developer and over 2 years since the developer went bankrupt without paying us any of the money authorised by the Courts.

Patiently waiting 

Like 0      
26 Feb 2015 11:02 AM by coleen Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Good to get feedback from other people. 
We took the developers to court in 2008 and won the case. Of course they appealled (twice) which we also won. 
In 2010, the developers went bankrupt and so we are still awaiting our money which our solicitor says we will get back, no problem. 
However, out of frustration at no news, I have contacted the administrators who say there is 'almost zero chance' of us getting our money back. 
So the only option now seems to be take the bank to court but of course even if the case is won, there is no guarantee they will actually pay.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2015 1:49 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I fully understand your frustrations and cannot say otherwise than all these long waiting would have never happened if you had had an independent lawyer working  seriopusly to care for your interests when you were buying in Spain. This is at the center of many of your problems.

I am confident that after existing case Law on the importance of Bank Guarantees, this will not happen again.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
26 Feb 2015 2:41 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Thank you for that Maria. I wonder, can you tell us if any lawyer in Spain has been the subject of legal proceedings following their failure to secure the legally required bank guarantee for their client/s and if not then why?

Like 0      
26 Feb 2015 2:46 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Yes, it has been.

There is increasing Case Law in regards to that now.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 Feb 2015 10:13 AM by josey96 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi Maria

So, just to be clear on this, if as a purchaser of an Off Plan Property in Spain and even if the property was eventually built and FOL granted but you never completed the purchase, you could still make a claim against the original Lawyer if they failed to collect any bank guarantees for your deposits??? and especially when you have written copy from the original lawyer at the start of the buying process, clearly stating that they would collect all bank guarantees realting to the purchase. 

If this is the case, surely there would be a flood of good lawyers in Spain advertsing a no win no fees policy, to claim against the bad lawyers who misrepresented thousands of buyers over so many years if there is in fact case law realting to this abuse???  or is it like most other things in the Spanish legal system where there is no 100% guarantee of ever getting your money back even when case law exists???

Like 0      
27 Feb 2015 12:04 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

As years pass and the observation and interpretation of events can be more and more objective, I still think Financial Systems, lack of control.. not just in Spain but also in Europe and the whole occidental side of the world made the mess. It is simple and clear.

Many other actors danced at that party but.... there were clear promoters, organisers and benefitted.

Answering your question below:

Josey:

Asking you below in bold green (same text as your message):

So, just to be clear on this, if as a purchaser of an Off Plan Property in Spain and even if the property was eventually built and FOL granted but you never completed the purchase, you could still make a claim against the original Lawyer if they failed to collect any bank guarantees for your deposits???  No, you cannot, you need to prove an effective damage arising from the fact of lack of Bank Guarantee. and especially when you have written copy from the original lawyer at the start of the buying process, clearly stating that they would collect all bank guarantees realting to the purchase. 

If this is the case, surely there would be a flood of good lawyers in Spain advertsing a no win no fees policy, to claim against the bad lawyers who misrepresented thousands of buyers over so many years if there is in fact case law realting to this abuse???  or is it like most other things in the Spanish legal system where there is no 100% guarantee of ever getting your money back even when case law exists???

Let me kindly reply to last assertion, for your peace of mind:

Judges are interpreting Law quite correctly, in my opinion in favor of off plan buyers in Spain ( with exception of one particulart region, need to add here).

Supreme Court is being quite fair and brave when interpreting Law 57/68 and, from 1968 Spain has a Law which protects off plan buyers  fiercely when buying off plan. No similar Law known at any other country in the world.

A different matter is the particular ( and generalised, unfortunately, due to aggressive finance policies) of Banks, agents, developers, lawyers.... inmersed in the off plan investment-buying crazy world of those years.

It happened in Spain but there were many foreign interests playing their role. Let me reiterate this opinion. Let´s be honest and truthful to oursleves. It is the only way to avoid same mistakes in the future.

Case Law protecting these buyers is now highly reinforced, this Law Firm, has deccisively contributed to that. ;)

With all respect always... willing to listed to opinions after all these years.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 27/02/2015.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish contract law - can someone clarify what consitutes a breach of contract? - 4 posts
Turkish Delight - 0 posts
Life insurance Help - 1 posts
Cheap storage facilities - 0 posts
Citroen Zsara Picasso 2.0 Diesel HD Exclusive - 3 posts
Restaurant for Christmas Day in Marbella? - 3 posts
SKY HIGH ELECTRICITY BILL - 9 posts
Looking for Estate Agents and Property Buyers for American TV show - 1 posts
Northern Soul Murcia Region - 2 posts
Table & 4 chairs - 0 posts
adopting bunny - 0 posts
rabbit adoption - 0 posts
Entertainment Only, Please - 0 posts
Wifi Leeching - 6 posts
ADANA Christmas fair - 1 posts
Malaga Orphanage Christmas Gift Appeal 2009 - 0 posts
Spanish Corruption: A Tongue in Cheek Peek - 2 posts
Advent laptop for sale - 0 posts
NEW TO THIS - 1 posts
PRIVATE MESSAGES - 3 posts
Visa Electron cards to be phased out - 43 posts
Polaris world resorts/Do you always need a car? - 5 posts
If Britain Goes Bust - 11 posts
Certificate of Second Occupancy (cedula)? - 2 posts
Where would you consider escaping to? - 24 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 47

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x