Where would you consider escaping to?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Out of interest where would you consider going to if everything goes really pear-shaped on the Costas? It is beginning to look scary. In the 1970s there was the worry about the neutron bomb? This was a nuclear weapon that killed people whilst leaving the infrastructure undisturbed. Images showed deserted townships.

Here on the Costa Blanca even the N332 is quiet; motorways see only the occasional vehicle. At 10.30pm on a Friday night bars and restaurants are deserted. I have seen more shoppers in a corner shop that I often see in the larger supermarkets.

Talking to a partner in one of the region’s bigger nightspots he said he was checking out options. I have already done so: Bulgaria, Buenos Aires (Argentina) and Valparaiso or Santiago in Chile. Where would you consider?

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
28 Nov 2009 7:55 PM by coolrunner Star rating in la marina. 91 posts Send private message

coolrunner´s avatar

as you know im moving back to the uk in the new year[not that i want tobut the wife has had enough here]if i moved to another forign country i would make sure it was english speaking.....as for the state of things,i was driving through quesada today only to find that Eroskies has shut down,not a good sign when you see shops like that closing

Like 0      
28 Nov 2009 10:48 PM by Jimbothescot Star rating in Urcal,Huercal Overa,.... 41 posts Send private message

I`ve been in Spain for 8 years and love it,but if I had to move it would be to Canada or New Zealand if I could qualify to get in.

As Coolrunner says,need to be English speaking,my Spanish is reasonable though not always grammatically correct,but the thought of having to learn Bulgarian or Greek for example would put me off.It`s been hard enough picking up Spanish.

Jimbo

This message was last edited by Jimbothescot on 28/11/2009.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2009 11:44 PM by Sunrise Star rating in UK. 417 posts Send private message

Sunrise´s avatar

The N332 is just down the road from my apartment in Playa Flamenca and it's always busy there! Didn't know there was a place where the road was quiet!

Sunrise

Blog De Sunrise

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 12:12 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Frying pan - fire, Cool?  :o)   I was just reading this in the Daily Mail. Makes you shudder but more worrying; what happens to the expatriates, not just in Spain but throughout the world if Britain goes bust? Many of them are dependant upon the pound sterling; pension, investment returns, family support, etc. They could be well and truly washed up. It happened to Iceland, Dubia     UK?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1231563/Is-Britain-brink-financial-armageddon.html

Sunrise: I meant comparatively. I live in La Zenia, and have worked this area / road for ten years. Traffic is a trickle to what it once was. This time last year, before the recession really started to bite, it was reported that traffic throughout Spain was 20% down. People were inclined to stay home rather than go out; car sharing, public transport, walking: All alternatives to expensive petrol. There are also fewer people in employment so less travelling there too.  

I drive up and down it daily and pass the both Asturias. The old one was a vibrant watering hole. I went past at 10.30pm on a Friday night. That vast venue was empty except for a few hangers on at the bar. Likewise across the road. Playa Flamenca Plaza lower level is virtually boarded up: the other levels have more than their fair share of vacant premises. The survivors are just about hanging on in there. I am not a 'we're all doomed' writer but I am a perceptive realist.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 1:02 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Mike,

Out of interest where would you consider going to if everything goes really pear-shaped on the Costas?

I thought everything had already gone pear-shaped on the costas?  At least it has on the Costa del Sol.  The unemployment rate in Malaga province is 30%.  This is higher than the unemployment rate (25%) was in the US during the Great Depression.

My wife and I have recently been talking about where we would go if we couldn't get work down here in Malaga, and there's a few places we'd probably consider, in this order:

-Madrid

-Return to the UK (reluctantly)

-Canada or Australia

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 1:26 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Brits in the Far East seem happy enough but at my age and little capital perhaps a step too far. I have always fancied South America. I was there as a young sailor and it is quite a breathtaking - and vibrant continent. In resources perhaps richer than the North American nations. It is of late becoming increasingly independent of the U.S dollar.

I think political and fiscal seismic change is taking place. The Russian Federation, snubbed by the EU and the U.S. strengthens it ties with Iran, North Africa, Syria - and China.

America - I think, is an empire in its death throes. The petro-dollar upon which it depended has been damaged below the watering line. It is no longer vacuuming wealth up as it  post-war. The U.S. even has a reserve currency in place, for such an eventuality. Hope for the best; prepare for the worst.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 2:09 PM by coolrunner Star rating in la marina. 91 posts Send private message

coolrunner´s avatar

one thing about moving back to the uk is.........i will still be among lots of forigners ¡¡¡¡

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 2:21 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Many a true word said in jest. When I shopped in ASDA in Smithdown Road, Liverpool, I was definately the ethnic minority. One of the few Europeans to be seen. It was like strolling through the pages of the National Geographic Magazine. The eclectic diversity of cultures was breathtaking. Here, the fellow shoppers are 99% European. England? Rather you than me, mate. Keep your assets in euros.  

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 2:41 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi mike just read your post on where you lived in liverpool and i just could not stop laughing  as i am from south Liverpool Irene

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 2:48 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Princes Park, Irene   ...   the posh house with the clean windows and curtains (In my Liverpool home  ) Some lovely parts there: Allerton Road, all around Ullet Road; Sefton Park. Very gentrified but Soweto was never far away: Granby Ward.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 4:33 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Took me down memory lane a bit, I'm from Liverpool too, but not the posh bit, Liverpool 6 (not far from the ice rink)!  I escaped hundreds of years ago aged 18.

Where would I consider escaping to? Well after experiences in Spain it would have to be English speaking, warm and within 12 hours travel of friends and family in Europe, so it would probably be Florida.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 9:09 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi from liverpool and its great for a get away to, as  i am near  the new train station with links to the airport .
Where would i like to escape to the south of france where i wanted to buy in the first place  irene

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 9:16 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi mike i have sent  a private mess to you as i could not put it on eye of spain i hope you  laugh at it irene

This message was last edited by irenemontague on 29/11/2009.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 9:50 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Hi Irene and Poppyseed. Thanks both. Clearly we shall have to start a Liverpool Appreciation Society of Friends. You can take the Liverpudlian out of Liverpool but you can't take the Liverpudlian out of a nostalgic Scouser.

Poppyseed. Fairfield was once a fair field, where lambs played and rural life went on with rustics gazing down the meadows to the banks of the River Mersey; its castle and its port. It changed of course. Didn't everywhere?

I had a showroom / shop on Kensington, across the Road from the Holt pub. - and the old ice skating rink. Up until 'the change' the salt of the earth lived in those terrace streets. Sadly, like Britain, it has fallen - no, it was stabbed and then it fell. Just like the rest of that haplessly run country. R.I.P England

Like 0      
30 Nov 2009 1:52 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

For those thinking of South America as a move option beware as it is nearly impossible to get a bank account in most countries especially Brazil...........

My father had worked over there for 40 years but when he wanted to move lock stock and barrel he could not get a bank account even with his current global bank......... and you really need to speak the language(s)......... he now commutes.

This message was last edited by nicolaraho on 30/11/2009.

Like 0      
30 Nov 2009 3:01 PM by praguepix Star rating in Marbella Villa. 101 posts Send private message

It seems to me that many British immigrants to Spain have never really left the UK. So many people living in British ghettos and not speaking Spanish........

Just like the Somalis, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and so on in the UK really, except their native costume is long shorts, socks with sandals for men,, tattoos  -unisex -and  muffin tops for females, instead of burkhas and djellabas.

Since life as we know it is likely to continue uninterrupted for most of us, why waste time pondering where to go in case of improbable disaster of some unspecified kind?  Enjoy what you have.

Like 0      
30 Nov 2009 10:14 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I quite fancy Scotland (okay I know it is the UK but I am from the south of England so it is far enough for me). They have a good education system for my children, Glasgow and Edinburgh are very different but interesting,vibrant cities, a strong culture so my children could learn Scottish dancing etc as they do flamenco here, warm people, less traffic beautiful countryside ....

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
01 Dec 2009 7:00 AM by Sunrise Star rating in UK. 417 posts Send private message

Sunrise´s avatar

I agree Susan

Scotland would be a great place to go. I've been to Scotland three times and couldn't complain with people, traffic and countryside!

Sunrise

Blog De Sunrise

Like 0      
01 Dec 2009 7:00 AM by Sunrise Star rating in UK. 417 posts Send private message

Sunrise´s avatar

I agree Susan

Scotland would be a great place to go. I've been to Scotland three times and couldn't complain with people, traffic and countryside!

Sunrise

Blog De Sunrise

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How do I set up a Webcam. - 4 posts
Of Geese and Golden Eggs - 1 posts
pregantcy in spain question?? - 2 posts
Wooden sheds - 9 posts
Teleast- Beware - 1 posts
Are things turning around? - 4 posts
beware!!! this could happen to you!! - 1 posts
FOR SALE - return MONARCH flights Manchester - Murcia - 0 posts
GM LEGAL EXPERTS ALICANTE - 0 posts
Little Tikes Roadster Toddler Bed - Boys - 1 posts
community agm - 8 posts
Non-Resident taxes - 13 posts
Single LNB to dual LNB - 6 posts
how do i stop email notification of new threads - 0 posts
The power of prayer - 22 posts
how do i stop email notification of new threads - 7 posts
FINCA PARCS ACTION GROUP - NO BANK GUARANTEES - 6 posts
Disney World Spain?? - 13 posts
Vauxhall Combo Crew Van for sale - 3 posts
Spanglish and Pidgin English Won't Do - 10 posts
Costa Blanca News (What's Not On) - 0 posts
Sunrise - 9 posts
New Sky+ HD EPG comes to Amstrad boxes - 3 posts
Soccer in Spain - 2 posts
Andalucian Dream Homes - still in business? - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x