Visa Electron cards to be phased out

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

29 Nov 2009 4:26 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

I have my Electron card from Barclays in Spain.

No one mentioned that they were finishing and they were still issuing them to customers.

Will email them.

Thanks Pat

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 8:59 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

On the plus side, I saw that Ryanair are looking to include prepaid Mastercards in the "free to use" cards category. Watch this space.....

Also, for those that have Spanish debit cards, they tend to be Electron. My recent RA booking told me I would be paying €47 for my 2 return flights, I actually paid €44, almost 1:1 with what I could have paid in GBP!!

Mark

Like 0      
30 Nov 2009 9:07 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Electron cards will incur the fees from Ryanair bookings as of 1 January 2010 whilst Pre- paid Mastercards are free as previously mentioned. Link here.

Mark

Like 0      
01 Dec 2009 2:24 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Has anyone found out who is offering the best deal for prepaid Mastercards? Kevin

Like 0      
01 Dec 2009 8:48 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

In what way? You can pick them up for free in a variety of places, or you can pay a fiver or so for them and have credit already on it of about £10. The Range do a free one and the Post Office (ours does anyway) have a range of cheap to buy cards.

Mark

Like 0      
01 Dec 2009 9:38 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Oh sorry I didn't realise they were available from the post office. Not really seen them around, must open my eyes. Thanks. Kevin

Like 0      
01 Dec 2009 6:49 PM by yvonnebarton Star rating in Rickmansworth, Herts.... 27 posts Send private message

I saw this thread last night so googled mastercard prepaid cards and picked out Caxton FX cards as they were free.  Filled in the application form and had a reply today saying my card is in the post!  Easy as that.

Like 0      
01 Dec 2009 9:05 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi

Does anyone know if there is a maximum amount you can load these cards with, just thinking this might be away round taking more than 10k cash out of the country without having to declare at airports etc.

s

Like 0      
01 Dec 2009 9:53 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

usually no more than 5000 max no atm fees with caxton either

This message was last edited by conrad on 01/12/2009.

Like 0      
01 Dec 2009 10:10 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Looking at them, some charge a 1- 2% loading fee for putting money on the card . Make sure you choose carefully.

Mark

Like 0      
02 Dec 2009 1:53 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Caxton looks good for Euros. Need to find one like that for sterling as I want to buy plane tickets in Sterling and avoid the charges. The Caxton card involves a charge if you purchase in Sterling. Kevin

This message was last edited by kev2006n on 02/12/2009.

Like 0      
02 Dec 2009 2:19 PM by yvonnebarton Star rating in Rickmansworth, Herts.... 27 posts Send private message

Caxton Global Traveller is loaded in sterling and can be used anywhere - it says

1. No ATM charges when overseas.
  2. No fees, commission, or extra charges on your transactions meaning all costs and charges are included in the exchange rate applied.
  3. Simply load the card using your UK debit card either online, over the phone, or via text.
  4. The balance remains in Sterling at all times. Funds are converted live to the appropriate currency at the point of a sale, including ATM's, giving you the flexibility to use it globally.
  5. It's a MasterCard® meaning it can be used anywhere you see the MasterCard® acceptance mark, whether in a store, online or at an ATM.
  6. The exchange rate applied is fixed at 2.5% from the prevailing interbank rate.

I have obtained this card in order to buy Ryan Air flights without incurring any extra costs.  I'm hoping it will work. 

Like 0      
02 Dec 2009 2:40 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Hi Yvonne Barton

I have cut and pasted an extract from their terms and conditions. Yes you are right that it is generally free, however  with the Global card, so that you keep the money in sterling there is a £1.50 charge. Depends how RyanAir treat the transaction. I assume as a UK one as it is in sterling and it will therefore attract a charge.

If you think I have misunderstood please tell me as I want to avoid as many charges as possible.

Thanks.

Kevin

From Caxton's site

''We have kept costs as low as possible. However, we do have to charge for some services. To avoid these charges take a look at our top travel tips.

We don’t charge a fee for the card. Instead we take a £10 deposit when you apply. We add this to your overall balance when you load your card for the first time.

Global Card Dollar Card Euro Card
Card purchase fee No charge No charge No charge
Monthly/annual charge No charge No charge No charge
Purchase transaction fee No charge, outside the UK. £1.50 in UK No charge No charge
ATM cash withdrawal fee No charge outside the UK. £1.50 in UK No charge outside the UK. $3 in UK No charge outside the UK. €2 in UK
Card loading No charge No charge No charge
Balance enquiry online No charge No charge No charge
SMS Balance enquiry No charge No charge No charge
Secondary Card £5.00 £5.00 or $10.00 £5.00 or $7.50
PIN reminder No charge No charge No charge
SMS lock / unlock No charge No charge No charge
Lost & Stolen helpline Low-call number Low-call number Low-call number
Card Replacement Fee (damaged/lost/stolen) £5.00 $10.00 €7.50
Debit card refund £1.50 flat fee $3.00 flat fee and exchange at the
prevailing buy rate
€2.00 flat fee and exchange at the
prevailing buy rate

This message was last edited by kev2006n on 02/12/2009.

Like 0      
02 Dec 2009 4:57 PM by yvonnebarton Star rating in Rickmansworth, Herts.... 27 posts Send private message

Hi Kevin

Many thanks for pointing this out!  I mis-understood it.  OK so I need to find a card that I can use for my Ryan Air flights that is not going to cost me!  Will investigate the Post Office next.

Like 0      
02 Dec 2009 7:16 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

but surely the 1.50 charge for purchasing in sterling is still well below what the charge for uusing a debit card with ryanair as the purchase will only attract 1.50

Like 0      
02 Dec 2009 7:59 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Yes, but it is a lot more than the current electron card. Will it be charged for each passenger for each leg? That is what they do if you pay by credit card. In any event it is just another cost to the fare. If the total cost is cheaper than I would book with Ryanair, if not I will go with another airline. Kevin

Like 0      
02 Dec 2009 8:04 PM by Firefly Star rating in Manchester/Javea. 56 posts Send private message

Michael gets us all talking about his airline yet again genius, but do we stop flying Ryanair? I bet most don't, we put up with them. Its simple if people didn't buy Ryanair then there would be no Company, never mind them being the most profitable airline in Europe if not the world! Lets face it we love to hate them but when we have to fly its the perceived cost that counts is it not?

Like 0      
02 Dec 2009 8:09 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

kev if the cost of the flight is 30 pounds or 150 pounds then caxton will still only charge you 1.50 fee

Like 0      
02 Dec 2009 9:18 PM by yvonnebarton Star rating in Rickmansworth, Herts.... 27 posts Send private message

Yeah but I agree with Kev - why should we pay anything at all for purchasing flights?  We havent had to up until now with Visa Electron and when you purchase flights regularly it all adds up over the year.  I'd rather £1.50 in my pocket than some credit card company.  I shall keep looking for a card that wont cost me.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Polaris world resorts/Do you always need a car? - 5 posts
If Britain Goes Bust - 11 posts
Certificate of Second Occupancy (cedula)? - 2 posts
Where would you consider escaping to? - 24 posts
How do I set up a Webcam. - 4 posts
Of Geese and Golden Eggs - 1 posts
pregantcy in spain question?? - 2 posts
Wooden sheds - 9 posts
Teleast- Beware - 1 posts
Are things turning around? - 4 posts
beware!!! this could happen to you!! - 1 posts
FOR SALE - return MONARCH flights Manchester - Murcia - 0 posts
GM LEGAL EXPERTS ALICANTE - 0 posts
Little Tikes Roadster Toddler Bed - Boys - 1 posts
community agm - 8 posts
Non-Resident taxes - 13 posts
Single LNB to dual LNB - 6 posts
how do i stop email notification of new threads - 0 posts
The power of prayer - 22 posts
how do i stop email notification of new threads - 7 posts
FINCA PARCS ACTION GROUP - NO BANK GUARANTEES - 6 posts
Disney World Spain?? - 13 posts
Vauxhall Combo Crew Van for sale - 3 posts
Spanglish and Pidgin English Won't Do - 10 posts
Costa Blanca News (What's Not On) - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 44

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x