British to Spanish Driving licence- Alicante Region, Orihuela/Elche area

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Oct 2009 12:00 AM by musicdonna Star rating in Near Huercal-Overa, .... 250 posts Send private message

Urgent: Please help us!  I''ve looked through the forums (fora ?!) and can't find what I'm looking for, although I suspect it's there somewhere!  I and my husband need to get Spanish driving licenses beore the end of October '09 as our UK ones expire and we are now resident in Spain.  Please can someone do us an Idiot's Guide to what we have to do and where we have to go in the order that we have to do it and go there.  Everywhere we look we find different advice, and the need is now urgent.  Thank you so much.  Donna

Donna

www.learntodo.co.uk (site for artists of all levels!)

Like 0      
15 Oct 2009 7:19 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Unless anyone knows otherwise (I don't know Costa Blanca) I'm assuming you need to go here:

Jefatura Provincial De Trafico

Calle del Catedrático Ferre Vidiella 4
03005 Alicante/alacant, Spain
965 125 355

Take water and lots of patience. Good luck!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Oct 2009 9:21 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Donna - I think Roberto is right.  I went to Trafico in Alicante a few weeks ago to get the address changed on my licence.  It sounds very much like the experience described in the link he posted.  There are two queues and you need to take the Information one and they will then give you the form/s and a number in the queue for your application.  There is a separate Caja queue but I didn't need to pay anything so I don't know how that bit works.

I would suggest going quite early as the queues were almost out the door when I arrived around 11am.  However, everyone was good humoured and the queue did move along quite quickly.

You will need a medical too and I did this before I went - there is an office in Torrevieja but there should be one in Orihuela too, which is probably closer.  It comprises a simple eye test, blood pressure and an "anticipation test" where you have to track a moving ball after it goes behind an obstacle - very simple.  Again, take all your documents with copies and a photograph.  That cost 27€ and lasts me 5 years - the frequency varies according to your age.

Good luck!

Like 0      
16 Oct 2009 10:36 AM by musicdonna Star rating in Near Huercal-Overa, .... 250 posts Send private message

Clare, that's really helpful, thanks.

One question though. What sort of place are we looking for to get  the medical? Is it a hospital, surgery, or what sort of office?

Donna

Like 0      
16 Oct 2009 10:48 AM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

Hi Roberto

Do you have to actually surrender your UK driving licence, can you have both or would it be better to apply for an International Licence? 

Like 0      
16 Oct 2009 11:10 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

The medical office is called the Psicotecnico and the phone number for Torrevieja is 966 706 565 - they should be able to tell you where your nearest one is.  I just looked at my notes and they say you need your Driving Licence, NIE certificate, passport and 2 photos.

Roddy - your UK licence is valid in Spain as long as you have a medical certificate to go with it.  I tried to get them to change the address on mine, as I no longer have a UK address, and they changed it on the computer but then gave me back my old licence unchanged.  They seemed surprised that I bothered, but my UK licence clearly stated that I had to notify my country of residence when I changed address.

Like 0      
16 Oct 2009 4:11 PM by musicdonna Star rating in Near Huercal-Overa, .... 250 posts Send private message

Thanks very much Clare.

Donna

Like 0      
16 Oct 2009 4:16 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

You cannot have both a Spanish & UK licence, (unless of course you take & pass your test in Spain as well) and an international one is probably not worth the paper it's written on. You can keep your UK licence, and if you do you should register it with Trafico, but DVLA will not register it to an overseas address, and you will, as stated, also have to carry around the Spanish medical report - to comply with the same conditions for Spanish licence holders. Since having a Spanish licence means you've theoretically passed a medical *, the Spanish licence alone is enough. So all in all, and in my opinion, if you're resident in Spain, much better to exchange your licence. Keep a photocopy of your UK one though!

* the medical can be carried out at any approved centre - if Alicante is anything like Malaga, there'll be several right by Trafico's office along with all the photo booths and photocpoy shops! The test itself is a bit like Philip Schofield's new gameshow The Cube, but not as much fun (and you can't win any money). When exchanging a UK licence, you shouldn't need one though - strangely, they assume you already have passed one in the country that issued your current licence. So you'll only need it for your first renewal (every 5 years over 45, every year over 70).

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Oct 2009 8:09 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Roberto please where are you getting this information from. It is totally wrong. Why do so many give information without the knowledge to do so. Roberto I understand you make good imformative posts but can you please check your facts. No need to have spanish licence, no need to register your European licence with trafico and no need to have the medical for this licence. UGH Even the press get it wrong. I cant count the times i have to repeat this info,

Myra Cecilia. www.costaadvicebureau.com

Like 0      
16 Oct 2009 8:09 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Opps must have been tense. The same post went twice

This message was last edited by myra cecilia on 16/10/2009.

Like 0      
16 Oct 2009 11:50 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I said "You can keep your UK licence, and if you do you should register it with Trafico" - I didn't say you MUST. The medical issue is a gray area. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to state your source of the "facts"? Thing is, the "facts" are somewhat theoretical anyway, and the Guardia are not always fully conversant with them either.  When I post advice it is usually based on personal experience, or that of reliable sources known to me. People are free to take it or leave it. Personally, I prefer the belts & braces approach, and it's served me well over the years.

Don't bother exchanging your licence. Don't bother registering your UK licence with Trafico. Don't bother getting a medical. And don't bother moaning to me when you get done by the fuzz for disregarding some not existent law.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Oct 2009 1:26 AM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Roberto. I understand the confusion. For example two of the main newspapers on the Costa del Sol have published similar statements about the European driving licence. One is the Sur in English who main newspaper The Sur is Spanish. The Euroweekly has just one an award. They do have allowed misinformation to be printed in their newspapers. There is someone on the Costa who writes books on driving in Spain and also is misinformed. I have personally had a medic who carries out these medicals allow expats to take the tests.  ( If you get the chance look at one of these medical forms that are givin to the expats and you will see that they are valied for three months only,  giving  you time to change your license for a Spanish one) and other individuals who have made money laminating, stamping and anything else that you can imagine. There is a lot I could say as to the lack of control even the police have on these licenses. Where do I get my information? I cannot afford to be wrong as I advise weekly and sometimes daily on these issues. My information comes from the police, trafico but overall the State laws. Until these laws are changed, the license is almost a law onto itself. Totally unfair to the Spanish that have to as you say take medicals etc. There is more information I could give on this but I would only be encouraging non responsble drivers to feel justified in breaking the road safety laws. One fact that you have quoted that is totally true is that an internation license is not worth the paper it is printed on. I realise I get a bit heated on this subject but I come across many people who have spent money registering, stamping and taking medicals for nothing. To date this information is correct.

Like 0      
17 Oct 2009 6:12 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Myra, you're right, there's a lot of confusion over this and a lot of misinformation. I just try my best to explain things as I understand them myself, but it is, after all, only an opinion. Thank you for adding your comments - I respect your position as a professional adviser.

As you say yourself, until the law changes, the licence is almost a law unto itself. Until there is a central EU licencing authority, confusion will reign. It makes little sense to me to be resident in one EU country, but hold a licence registered to an address in another, possibly one with no current connection to the holder. How can the penalty points system function correctly under such circumstances? Do you actually advise new residents to NOT exchange their licence? I just don't understand the resistance to change, especially when it's really not complicated or costly to do so. Far more complicated, I would think, than trying to explain the law to a guy in green with a gun at his side!

Going back to the original poster, who's UK licence is about to expire, who it's fair to assume no longer has a valid UK address, surely they have little option anyway?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Oct 2009 6:39 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Roberto. You are right about so many things. Yes it is difficult when you need to renew the British licence and it is a good time to consider changing. You know what puts people off is the medical certificates needed with the Spanish version. The test is quite simple though and I know of someone with one eye and almost deaf who passed it. In fact its a nonsense as " some medical centres" just want the money. Should not laugh but they would not want you not to be able to return in however many years for the next test as they had failed you on the first. smile. So yes the tests are simple. The advantages of the Spansih licence is that it acts as a means of identification therefore there is not the need to carry passport with the new resident letter. Maybe I will find time to write a blog on this subject. Could be funny.  I am going to send you a private message about the points as I am sure you are a responsible driver.

Like 0      
20 Oct 2009 8:38 AM by musicdonna Star rating in Near Huercal-Overa, .... 250 posts Send private message

Just a thought... it's only the photo card that is about to run out!  Do we need to renew the licence at all if the paper bit's still current until we're 70?  Donna x

Donna

Like 0      
20 Oct 2009 2:13 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Hi donna

I have just changed my Uk licence to Spanish as the photo card ran out end Sept but the Traffico at Alicante gave me a receipt to say that I had paid the fee and told me they had to send the UK licence to DVLA Swansea before they could issue a Spanish one will take at least a couple of months so I would get down to alicante soon and change yours before the card runs out

Go by train from San Isrido  it is the best way to Traffico as the office is very near just come out of the station turn left to the ped crossing and go along the street opposite then turn second left beside a large building that is set in its own grounds the Traffico office is 100 yards on right  you must go in the queue that says information then get the forms and a ticket then you must pay and wait for your number to come on the board

Good luck

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
20 Oct 2009 8:23 PM by musicdonna Star rating in Near Huercal-Overa, .... 250 posts Send private message

Thanks for that.

Did you need to get a medical before you went to the Trafico in Alicante? And can you remember what documents you needed to take? That info would be most helpful - thanks. 

Donna

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 11:34 AM by bakeja Star rating in Manilva. 49 posts Send private message

I have done a couple of driving licence changes in Malaga recently and the process was very straightforward.  I got there at 10 am both times and the queues were very manageable.  It was a case of queue at information for the forms, then the payment tellers to pay your 26€ fee and then at the place where you actually present your application.  The medical is not required for a change of licence.  You only surrender your UK licence at the second visit, which was after a wait of over 2 months for the last one I did, at which time you are given a temporary licence while you await the new one in the post.

As for the controversy about getting your UK licence registered with Trafico if you want to carry on using it, I never did so when I had a UK licence but then again I never had the police quizzing me about it, say after an accident. Myra Cecilia seems so confident on the point and advises people for a living so I think I'll follow her advice and treat this so-called requirement as unnecessary.  I have amended my Getting a Spanish Driving Licence Q&A accordingly.

Advoco Law & Accountancy

Latest article: Guide to Spain's Autonomo System

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 3:57 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Hi Dona

ther is a Medico Centre in Almoradi but I am not sure where I went to Guardamar its in the main street about half way along on the left

here is the info you need with oe changethe fee for the licence is now 27 euros.

To exchange a UK issued Driving Licence for a Spanish Driving Licence.

Take the following documentation to the Trafico Office in Calle San Juan Bosco, Alicante City.

It is recommended that you study an Alicante street map before you attempt the journey. Parking can be found at the side of the RNFE Railway Station – Estacion de Ferrecarril (behind the Taxi Rank) or in the underground car parking system under El Cortes Ingles (the store next to the Glorieta de la Estrella Monument in the centre of town, opposite the Cam Bank)

If you park in the Railway Station car park, walk until you have your back to the Terminal entrance. Turn left, (Avenida de Salamanca) walk to the traffic lights and cross the road. Continue walking up this road until the 2nd turning on the right Calle San Juan Bosco, turn into this road and 150 metres on your left, you will find the Trafico building.

If you park in the El Cortes Ingles underground car park, walk until you find yourself outside El Cortes Ingles department store (the clothes shop, not the houseware shop). With your back to the shop, keep the Glorieta de la Estrella Monument on your left, towards the RNFE Railway terminal and then continue as above.  2 identical passport size photographs 35mm x. 25mm. One will have been attached to your certificate of aptitude.

 Passport plus two photocopies

 Your non Spanish licence – i.e. old style UK Licence without photo plus 2 photocopies. If you have a new EU type licence, consisting of a green document and plastic card with photo, you will need to produce 2 photocopies of both sides of the licence document, as well as the card.

 NIE number

 Residencia Card or Certificate plus 2 photocopies

 A certificate plus 2 photocopies, to confirm that you are on the Padron de Habitantes at your local Town Hall. This certificate should show your current address, and have been stamped, dated and issued in the last 3 months. Town Halls can issue a certificate on the spot for this purpose i.e. for use at Trafico. You should take your last Padron Certificate to the town hall when you apply for one.

 A certificate of „aptitude‟. This is sometimes called a medical but it is usually little more than an eye sight and coordination test, and lasts approximately 10 minutes. There are several appointed agents, on the opposite side of the road from the Trafico building in Alicante, who carry out this test on their premises. There are also approved centres for the test in most large towns, including Torrevieja and Almoradi. The fee for a certificate of aptitude should be in the region of 34 Euros.

Upon entering the Trafico Department there are two main queues on the left. One is the “Caja” and one is “Information”. Join the Information queue and you will be handed three forms to complete and an information leaflet in Spanish. Proceed to the Caja queue and pay the fee of 26 Euros. You then take a ticket with a number on it and wait until this number is displayed on the screen. Take your completed paperwork to the window indicated.

The forms to complete are:

BlueTasa form and complete it with your N.I.E. number and date of birth (fecha de nacimiento). If you have only one surname, leave the box marked „Segundo Apellido‟ blank. First names should be written in the box marked „Nombre‟. The box marked „sexo‟ should be completed with the letter „V‟ (varon), for men or „H‟ (hembra) for women. Your full postal address and signature will complete the form.

A white form which needs to be completed with your name, NIE number and sign it with your signature completely inside the square box.

Another white form with your name, UK driving license number and the driving groups the Certifidcate of Aptitude shows you are allowed to have. The date of when the UK driving license starts and ends and where the license was obtained (DVLC, Great Britain). Then sign the form.

The clerk will check your paperwork and issue you with a receipt. Driving Licenses are issued by a central office in Madrid and according to your circumstances you will either be sent yours in the post (it can take up to 3 months to arrive) or you may be asked to return to Trafico to collect it. If you go to collect the license you must take the receipt the clerk issued to you. All paperwork is sent to DVLC in Swansea to be authenticated prior to Madrid issuing a Spanish license.

To the best of our knowledge this information was correct on the date given below.

However, rules, fees and regulations can and do change so it is advisable to check with our office that this fact sheet has not been superseded. JB/MARCH 2009

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 5:11 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

bakeba. THANK YOU. At last someone out there believes that my facts are checked out. I will look at your link with interest.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Help Needed - 7 posts
property management company wanted - 3 posts
legal Help - 0 posts
Mobile Home Transport ALbir - Alfaz del PI - 1 posts
Fernando del Valle - 2 posts
Long term rental - 0 posts
Solar Batteries deep cycle 12V 200AH + solar panels NEW - 0 posts
Capital gains Tax Question? - 1 posts
Motorbiking in Andalucia - 4 posts
Spanish Mortgages - 1 posts
Overseas Pensions Department..... - 5 posts
Seat Ibiza 1998 1.9 Diesel for sale - 0 posts
Bar Elite - Almoradi - 4 posts
Spain Non residents pay less for capital gains on savings - 0 posts
Andalusian government´s help to buy properties in the region! - 1 posts
Martes y trece...unlucky for some - 8 posts
Blue Palm, Marbella - 5 posts
Empadronamiento - 17 posts
Why Hate Ryanair - 3 posts
Thinking of moving to Guardemar Del Segura - 0 posts
Valencia Rejects Ryanair - 0 posts
QSD - 8 posts
test your Spanish & help feed the world - 11 posts
SIESTA TV - 10 posts
Non resident income tax: 1.1% or 2% of cadastral value? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x