Dogs in Restaurants

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by merrylegs Star rating in Switzerland. 50 posts Send private message

merrylegs´s avatar

From a previous visit to Spain, I know that the indiginous population (and the law) does not officially welcome dogs in restaurants.  Would anyone know of restaurants in the general Malaga/Casares area where canines are tolerated please?

Like 1      
01 Aug 2009 6:05 PM by firsteuro Star rating in Hondon de las Nieves. 58 posts Send private message

firsteuro´s avatar

I have found that most restaurants or cafe's do not mind well behaved dogs at tables outside.

However as a frequent diner and dog owner I would not be very happy sharing a dining room with a dog.

Like 2      
02 Aug 2009 8:42 AM by merrylegs Star rating in Switzerland. 50 posts Send private message

merrylegs´s avatar

And if the dog in question were a service dog, without whose assistance its guardian would not be able to enjoy a meal in a restaurant, would your opinion still be the same?

Like 1      
02 Aug 2009 6:00 PM by firsteuro Star rating in Hondon de las Nieves. 58 posts Send private message

firsteuro´s avatar

What do you think ?

Of course I would not mind if it were a service dog, however I cannot remember if you clearly stated that you were looking for a restaurant that would accommodate service dogs or for a restaurant that would "tolerate" dogs.

This message was last edited by firsteuro on 02/08/2009.

Like 0      
19 Oct 2009 10:21 AM by lisacharles Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Most places don't allow dogs inside only outside but there are always exceptions. I think the best thing to do is to call a restaurant beforehand and ask.

Like 1      
19 Oct 2009 10:45 AM by merrylegs Star rating in Switzerland. 50 posts Send private message

merrylegs´s avatar

Thank you for your message LisaCharles.  Our daughter is not now able to accompany us on our holiday at the end of the year, thus she will look after - and no doubt spoil - our little dog whilst we are away.

Like 1      
12 Mar 2016 9:43 PM by gocarr Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Nigella Bistro in Arroyo de la Miel (29631) is dog friendly. They will bring you a bowl of water for your dog and they sell organic and allergen-free dog food.

Like 2      
14 Mar 2016 5:15 PM by Adartsue Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I take my dog every year to my holiday home in Spain, and is always welcomed everywhere, I have never yet been turned away froma restaurant.

Like 1      
14 Mar 2016 5:39 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Personally I do not think dogs should be allowed in a restaurant unless they are providing a service or their owners such as guide dogs.

I would personally complain and / or leave if I was at a table dining and another guest brought in a dog.

If I walked into a restaurant and dogs were present where people were dining then I would leave

Outside of restaurants no problem when the dog is well trained and behaves

but when the dogs are rowdy (barking etc.) or when owners decide to feed their dogs from the table, and let them sit on their lap and feed OFF the table or allow them to do their business near where I am sitting (drinking or eating) is simply disgusting, unnecessary, rude and ignorant by the owners - I have seen this before and left the establishment very quickly and let the owners know why I was leaving

Like 1      
14 Mar 2016 6:15 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

I'd worry if the dog was on the menu. cheeky

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
14 Mar 2016 6:16 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

It's 6 and a half years since the question was asked. It's probably dead by now.

Like 0      
14 Mar 2016 8:02 PM by Adartsue Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I agree, Ido not take my dog into restaurants, but def eat and sit outside, and I never feed my dog while eating out from my plate, I settle for a water bowl. 

Like 0      
14 Mar 2016 8:12 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

So, there we were sitting outside and having lunch. Dog gets up from under a different table and proceeds to poo right next to the leg of our table. OK, so his owner picked it up but hardly conducive to having a nice meal.

I have had dogs all my life (and cats) but wouldn't dream of taking them anywhere people are trying to eat. Outside a pub probably OK. At a restaurant, inside or outside, no.

Like 4      
14 Mar 2016 9:58 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

Bob I would rather have a dog shit by my table than have a group of smokers wafting there poison my way, I used to smoke but I find this to be the most unsocial aspect of eating out in Spain 

Whats your view 

Love Hugh xx

Like 3      
14 Mar 2016 10:21 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Great, you come at sit at the table where the dogs are crapping (I'll make sure one of them has been on Winalot)  and I'll sit next to the smokers. Sorted.

Smokers are banned indoors at restaurants. This about letting dogs in. What's your view?

Like 0      
14 Mar 2016 10:49 PM by Adartsue Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I have never been sitting outside a restaurant where a dog is crapping, but I have often been in a public place where a drunken man is peeing , that includes nice restaurants, my point is be a reponsible owner, the great thing about people is that we have the ability to make our own choices, so if you see a dog outside a restaurant in the seating area, I guess if it isn't for you, then you go some where else, that isn't being rude, it is just that some restaurants will allow it and others will not. Much prefer dogs to smokers.

Like 1      
14 Mar 2016 11:27 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Oh, goody, a thread drift.

So, what do you think about dogs smoking in restaurants, then? I think we should know!

Like 0      
15 Mar 2016 9:27 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

Dogs smoking in restaurants are a bloody nuisance especially when they keep asking for a light.

Dogs should never be allowed in any restaurant, as for welcoming a dog s**t by your table and accepting that,     beats it all.

Nearly as bad as taking your dog for a walk... Under your arm.

Like 1      
16 Mar 2016 1:21 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

I am a dog lover but I would not accept dogs in a restaurant. I don't think there is any problem with dogs on a terrace, so long as they are well behaved. As far as smoking is concerned I would rather it not be allowed anywhere and I used to be a smoker. However I can put up with smoking on a terrace so long as I am not down wind!

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 1      
16 Mar 2016 2:32 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

I have owned dogs in the past but I would never take one into a restaurant There are many responsible dog owners with well trained dogs but unfortunately we also have the irresponsible love me love my dog brigade who spoil it for others A spanish lady with two dogs visits a cafe I used to frequent She insisted on seating the dogs on the chair cushions with their paws on the table When I asked her if she would object if I put my feet on the chair and table she was quite adamant that she would and anyway they are only little dogs On a slightly different note I do not stay in hotels that advertise themselves as "dog friendly" the thought of sharing a bed where a dog has been does not endear me to a comfortable stay 

Like 1      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Paying by credit card in Spain - 11 posts
What is this you techies out there ? Spam ? - 11 posts
Advice needed on house purchase - 6 posts
Hand Luggage on Easy jet Flight to Gibraltar - 10 posts
Glass Engraving - 0 posts
Iberdrola white meter? - 8 posts
Playing the lottery in Spain? - 8 posts
Car Hire - Recommendations Please - 11 posts
Sat Navs: which one to choose that has a good sized screen & covers Europe & UK ?? - 20 posts
Best way to finance a purchase - 2 posts
Sofa available to take away - 0 posts
Autonomo /Administrator Problem - 3 posts
RYANAIR WINTER FLIGHTS - 2 posts
Telephone Police reports in English - 2 posts
La Marina Pueblo - is it possible to hire car for 2 days only? - 1 posts
BA suspending route from Gatwick to Malaga - 1 posts
Spain uncut DVD'S paid for but not delivered? - 2 posts
Easyjet - Flights released to June 2010 - 19 posts
Airport pick-up - 10 posts
COFFEE TABLE FOR 50 EUROS WENGUE COLOUR - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
BABY BATH FOR SALE - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
2 SEATER SOFA - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
BABY CAR SEAT FOR SALE - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
SELLING BRAND NEW BABY CAR SEAT - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
SPANISH LESSONS FOR FOREIGNERS - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x