Sat Navs: which one to choose that has a good sized screen & covers Europe & UK ??

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Finally, we're looking at buying a Sat Nav & my OH has seen this one advertised.

TOMTOM ONE XLv2 -- UK & EUROPE, 22 COUNTRIES, 4.3" SCREEN, EASYPORT MOUNT

Halfords are advertising it online @ £139.99, not available in their shop near us so OH can't view it yet.

I know many of you have these aids so it's time I got some help please.

with suggestions if you use a good tried & tested one.

We want personal recommendations .

Thanks.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2009 9:50 PM by TheBabyHireCentre Star rating in In between the two a.... 48 posts Send private message

TheBabyHireCentre´s avatar

All of our reps use Binatone A350/430 from Argos. Excellent value for money and come pre loaded with Europe. Feedback from day-to-day use has been all good since we introduced them at the beginning of this year..

Like 0      
29 Jul 2009 10:05 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Oh says he's seen Binatone ones & feels they're very flimsy & he really prefers a larger screen than the 3.5" Also he wants the easyport mount. He seems set on a TomTom really. Thanks for answering though.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2009 10:29 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

More, I have used the tom tom for last 2 years . It has Europe as I have used it in Spain but 3.5 screen.  But do not look at the screen to much just listen to the voice.

Pat  

Like 0      
29 Jul 2009 10:29 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

My husband paid £1200 to have sat nav, Europe included,  when he bought a new VW.  I have a Tom Tom, and I have to say Tom Tom is far superior and a fraction of the price. It is easier to use as it can find a location by either street name OR postcode. On my husbands sat nav, it only allows you to put in 4 digits of a 6 digit postcode. This causes endless problems and much frustration.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2009 10:43 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Many thanks to Tish & Pat & Roy, I've relayed that info onto my OH who is more interested in Midsomer Murders at the moment !  

Pat, how are you both, been ages since we were in touch. Im having fun & games with some emails coming in. It seems if friends reply on mine they go into cyberspace, not even on Virgin's server.Just booked Easyjet Bristol to Murcia for May into June (5 weeks). Got three holidays before then. Sept into Oct (6 weeks), Nov into Dec (4 weeks) & March into April (6 weeks). Hard life innit ?

Like 0      
29 Jul 2009 10:53 PM by iain4702 Star rating in East Lothian & Lo.... 42 posts Send private message

Just back from Los Montesinos  after 3.5 weeks and as always used mt Navman  sat. Nav .Excellent  detail  all over Cota Blanca

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 11:36 AM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Hi More

I have the TomTom on XL and use it regularly for work.  I previously had the same make with a smaller screen, which was stole, so bought the XL.  Your OH is quite right, the larger screen is great.  I would recommend it.

Jane

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 11:44 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Does anyone know if it is possible to download the European maps for Sat Navs?  Mine is a cheap one (A Medion I think) but it only has the UK maps.

Thanks

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 12:43 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi David, will this suffice ? I just Googled for it.

(Now please can we please  keep to actual topic ? It'll become a driving in flip flop thread in less than 20 posts ! )

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 5:35 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I use a Tom Tom One on a daily basis. Very easy to use, you are able to add your own places of interest and accurate. You get a 30 day map guarantee when you buy, so you can make sure you have the most recent map at time of purchase by download. You can also get a additional FM aerial that plugs in and receives free traffic information. Tom Tom also come with a 2 year guarantee as standard.

My Wife bought a Navigon which was a much nicer looking unit and the display was good. We downloaded the most recent map, but roads were missing in Spain near our urb. The display was great for navigating off motorways, it showed you what the road sign was saying and what lane to be in. The traffic info was built into the charger cable, so no extra needed. No additional POI's available, although it is something that was being worked on for the more expensive models. Had to send it back though as the screen developed a neon blue vertical line through the middle.

Mark

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 12:46 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

OH has been reading posts & has more info now so thanks to you all.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2009 12:26 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Been to PC World (just to look at Netbooks actually ) & saw a TomTom GO 730 Deluxe Europe 31 (4.3" screen) with IQ routes, luxury leather case, USB home charger as well as the USB travel charger. Great offer £149.99, heavily discounted as new stock coming in of brand new one.

Mark, you said ' Tom Tom also come with a 2 year guarantee as standard.' Are you certain as I can't find anything on WWW that says that when I Google. In fact John Lewis say 1 yr & I'd assume they would be correct. Hubby has not yet opened the whole thing yet but PC World didn't mention this 2 yr guarantee, says nothing on box itself as I'd expect. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Edited to add: Mark, we saw the Advent Netbook you told me about (in PC World too, we have them next door to their partner Curry's here) so are buying one, thanks.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 04/08/2009.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2009 5:44 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Unfortunately, mine has had to go away twice for repair in the last 18 months. I have some paperwork here from Tom Tom stating about the 2 year warranty but I can't find it at the moment. Will post the details whn I find it.

Mark

Like 0      
04 Aug 2009 6:15 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Unfortunately, mine has had to go away twice for repair in the last 18 months.

You didn't tell me that, Mark.  Hope ours is ok. Guarantee on ours states 12 months, BTW.

I didn't receive notification of this (Justin) & it's actually 17:15 here (UK), so Mark posted around 30 mins ago, I think as your clock's always on Spanish time.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 04/08/2009.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2009 6:58 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Mine has, but I know others that have lasted yonks!! Mine must have been a Friday unit . I would buy another one, so they can't be that bad.

Mark

Like 0      
04 Aug 2009 7:36 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Okay so I was right, and I was wrong!

Products purchased between 1 Jan 2005 and 31 March 2007 have 2 years manufacturers warranty.

Products purchased between 1 April 2007  have 1 years manufacturers warranty, with the exception of models under the Tom Tom Limited Warranty.

Tom Tom Limited Warranty includes the following devices: 510/ 710/ 910/ 715/ One V1, One New Edition and Rider.

Mark

Like 0      
05 Aug 2009 12:57 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I have a TomTom 910 bought nearly 3 years ago. It needed fixing 2 months ago, I said I know it's out of warranty just fix it and let me know what it costs. They had it picked up from my business in UK same day by DHL as they all go back to Holland for repair. I waited for the estimate but to my surprise it was back within a week. Actually a brand new 910, no bill, even for couriers. They obviously have a stash of 910s in their warehouse and as the model has now been replaced they use them to generate goodwill. Sadly, the map was the same as in my old one, ie nearly 3 years old, so I upgraded to the latest Western Europe map for about 50 euros. I still have the original map of the USA the 910 came with, and it's done me fine whenever over there. So, ten out of ten to TomTom for customer service. I would definitely buy another.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2009 1:54 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Excellent Guy.

My husband downloaded the maps last night after closing down everything like Messenger. Download was meant to take around 50 mins but about 3 mins from the end we saw a friend of mine had tried to get to me on messenger as her name showed in orange along the bottom of the screen. OH had closed messenger down, task manager didn't show it as running.

This seemed to mess up the download & the remaining 3 mins took another almost 3 hrs ! Thankfully at the finish TomTom showed ticks in all boxes so we assume it is ok, just took much longer.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 05/08/2009.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2009 5:10 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Morerosado, I should have told that part of the tale. I have a Vodaphone internet dongle. It's fine for reading newspapers, emails, etc but downloading the Western Europe map of 2 Gigs would have taken up to 36 hours depending on connection. I also read on a support forum that if your internet connection is other than good that the file can get corrupted and so you're wasting your time anyway. So, I went to my local internet cafe plugged my TomTom into a usb port  - done and dusted in under an hour.

To get back to the original question of which model to buy, unless you need the USA maps I would go for the "740 Live" at list price of sterling 280.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Best way to finance a purchase - 2 posts
Sofa available to take away - 0 posts
Autonomo /Administrator Problem - 3 posts
RYANAIR WINTER FLIGHTS - 2 posts
Telephone Police reports in English - 2 posts
La Marina Pueblo - is it possible to hire car for 2 days only? - 1 posts
BA suspending route from Gatwick to Malaga - 1 posts
Spain uncut DVD'S paid for but not delivered? - 2 posts
Easyjet - Flights released to June 2010 - 19 posts
Airport pick-up - 10 posts
COFFEE TABLE FOR 50 EUROS WENGUE COLOUR - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
BABY BATH FOR SALE - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
2 SEATER SOFA - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
BABY CAR SEAT FOR SALE - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
SELLING BRAND NEW BABY CAR SEAT - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
SPANISH LESSONS FOR FOREIGNERS - 0 posts
What happened in Manilva - 57 posts
WANTED - BABY'S CAR SEAT - 4 posts
ELECTRIC BILLS THIS MONTH - 21 posts
anyone dealt with vanityangels - 2 posts
Question about NIE number - 11 posts
House and contents - 8 posts
advise needed, on suma on my car? - 4 posts
schools in quadamar - 20 posts
fellipe massa f1 driver - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x