Paying by credit card in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

In the UK, when you pay by Credit card (and Visa Debit card I think) and the price of the goods or service is over £100, the credit card company is jointly liable if anything goes wrong.  This means you can get a refund from your credit card company if you can't get one from the retailer.

Does anyone know if this is the same in Spain?  I am talking about using a Spanish credit card in Spain, just to clarify.

Thanks

David

This message was last edited by Sanchez1 on 31/07/2009.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 2:28 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

I really hope you never have to claim anything from the credit card companies in Spain, I took out insurances and all sorts and when something went wrong there was no one to help and i lost money.

Furthermore i also took on a yearly maintenance fee with a company that insures your cards and orders new ones for you if you lose them, i had mine stolen and when i called was told "You call the banks and order new cards"

Why if you have a limit of €1200 to they let you take out €2000 and then add €300 interest? Surely the limit means you can not go over it!

The whole credit card system here is different and completely useless.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 2:52 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Thanks Joan,

Sounds a bit of a nightmare.  I just wanted to check what the situation was with credit cards in Spain because I was thinking about doing some online purchases in Spain.  I always used to use my credit card to by stuff online in the UK because of the extra security you get in the UK.  It gave you added peace of mind in case anything went wrong.  I'm a bit reluctant to buy anything online in Spain if you have no added protection with your credit card here.

David

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 2:57 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

I buy online a lot.  Banks like Cajamar for example offer a virtual card, you add money on like a pre paid phone when you need to and pay with that, this way you are guaranteed that only the money on this virtual card is accesible and not the money from your actual account.

The other method i use is paypal, they are a little slow at resolving problems and their online system could be easier but when things have gone wrong i have received a refund no problem.

Hope this helps a little,

Joan

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 4:19 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Why not use a UK credit card? You get the protection then as I found out recently when trawling the Trading Standards website.

Mark

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 4:31 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

31 Jul 2009 5:53 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi David,

I always use my Nationwide credit card and it works out fine, bought a new bed this year in case anything went wrong. Plus no extra charges.

Pat   

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 5:58 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Pat, David was not talking though about a UK cc.

He said: I am talking about using a Spanish credit card in Spain,  just to clarify.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 31/07/2009.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 6:12 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Mark told him about using a UK credit card and that you are covered if anything goes wrong.

Personally I would not want to use a Spanish credit card.

Pat

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 6:16 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Nor us, Pat, but David (I think) lives in Manilva & not in the UK. It therefore (maybe) is more logical to use a Spanish credit card.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 6:16 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I've actually got a Nationwide credit card so I can use that.  It just means I will have to remember to transfer money over to my UK account to pay the credit card bill.

David

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 6:22 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like Pat & Roy, we also use Nationwide Flex current account (organised so we could benefit from the excellent exchange rates with no charges as long as we remove cash from a VISA ATM) plus we use a Nationwide credit card too. You get the same great exchange rate with the cc that you do with using the dc.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What is this you techies out there ? Spam ? - 11 posts
Advice needed on house purchase - 6 posts
Hand Luggage on Easy jet Flight to Gibraltar - 10 posts
Glass Engraving - 0 posts
Iberdrola white meter? - 8 posts
Playing the lottery in Spain? - 8 posts
Car Hire - Recommendations Please - 11 posts
Sat Navs: which one to choose that has a good sized screen & covers Europe & UK ?? - 20 posts
Best way to finance a purchase - 2 posts
Sofa available to take away - 0 posts
Autonomo /Administrator Problem - 3 posts
RYANAIR WINTER FLIGHTS - 2 posts
Telephone Police reports in English - 2 posts
La Marina Pueblo - is it possible to hire car for 2 days only? - 1 posts
BA suspending route from Gatwick to Malaga - 1 posts
Spain uncut DVD'S paid for but not delivered? - 2 posts
Easyjet - Flights released to June 2010 - 19 posts
Airport pick-up - 10 posts
COFFEE TABLE FOR 50 EUROS WENGUE COLOUR - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
BABY BATH FOR SALE - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
2 SEATER SOFA - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
BABY CAR SEAT FOR SALE - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
SELLING BRAND NEW BABY CAR SEAT - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
SPANISH LESSONS FOR FOREIGNERS - 0 posts
What happened in Manilva - 57 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x