What is this you techies out there ? Spam ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Just now I received this (when I hover on the 'Support Centre' it says wesam@ghana.com )

From Support Centre to Undisclosed recipient
Deactivation of Your Email Address

Attention:
We received an unusual Response code from this email address requesting for
deactivation. If you did send this request ignore this message.
Automatically deactivation will take place within 24 hours after reading
this message. But if you feel is an error message then follow the step
below to keep account active.

In order to verify/keep your email address active, you are to provide the
following data;

CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL IDENTITY BELOW
First Name: ____________________________
Last Name: _____________________________
Email Username: ________________________
Email Password: ________________________
Account Deactivation: ______ (specify yes to deactivate. No to keep active)
Reason for Deactivation :_____________( if yes)

Warning!!! In failure to verify your email account within 48hrs on
receiving this notification, your account will automatically be deactivated

Thank you for using our Webmail!
Warning Code: AHGF8Z02ARO

Kind regards,
The webmail service Team Management.
ABN 33
All rights reserved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was just looking at the settings in my account for http://www.slide.com & changed it to not having comments & I unticked the box for ' Send me email for new comments' as they'd been set otherwise as the default , then suddenly this email arrived. 

Related ?? Coincidence ?? 

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 8:20 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I don't know what slide.com is, but this is a common form of a phisihing email. Of course, it is asking for your email (presumably used as a username) and for your password and hey presto they have control of your account. Emails like this should just be deleted.

If you are that worried about it, you should contact the support centre through their website so you can ensure it goes to the right place and certainly not the supplied email in West Africa!

Mark

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 3:15 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hola Mark, I was hoping you would answer.

Slide.com is a way of creating slide shows using photographs & graphics from your hard drive. It really is excellent, you can do so much including adding text & music, quite a time waster.  You can do heaps more too.

Now the first two slide shows I made were for my blog & I hadn't signed up at that point, I was just learning & finding my way around. They gave you a HTML code to embed it wherever you had the facility to embed it. Then I realised that there was a list with Facebook, Blogger etc on & I clicked on that but it said I needed to sign up to use it so I joined with my email address & a password, the usual set up. Then, when I clicked the Facebook link it displayed my effort on my Facebook page which was quite ingenious, I thought.

As I would usually do I checked the account settings & saw two boxes ticked as default, one was 'Send me email for new comments' & the other was 'do you want comments' so I unticked both. It was then I received the email. Of course I certainly wasn't about to give details it wanted but I'd never seen that phishing mail mentioned around forums so thought I'd mention it here.

I've deleted my photos in there & my account too as I can use it & just get the HTML embed code anyway to use on my blog, not on Facebook but that isn't going to bother me.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 6:20 PM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

Check this link

http://www.defreeze.net/index.php/web-design/defreeze-blog/deactivation_of_your_email_address_email_is_a_scam/

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 6:27 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

http://www.defreeze.net/index.php/web-design/defreeze-blog/deactivation_of_your_email_address_email_is_a_scam/

Thanks Phil, it must be the very first time I'd not Googled to find this out. (Feel a tiddy bit foolish )

Anyway I've removed my photos & deleted the a/c & told the site I resent being sent phishing mails (seeing as they requested a reason why I'd deleted my a/c after only being a member a couple of hours).

It doesn't stop me using the site.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 6:35 PM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

Just a reminder for everyone

If you receive emails from your bank asking to confirm your bank details and A/No and pins.

DO NOT REPLY TO THEM

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 6:56 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Ah, but they don't come from your bank, Phil, do they ? 

You are asked never to respond if the bank doesn't address you by your name within the email. (Having said that ICICI don't !) They will not request details such as your PIN & they will have your a/c details themselves.

Actually, if you look online in your bank's site they ask you to forward the emails to them & give a special address.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 7:00 PM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

You're quite right more, but there are some good forgeries about, which look legit

Dont get caught!!!

Like 0      
02 Aug 2009 10:12 AM by sms0611 Star rating in Fuengirola. 21 posts Send private message

Just a little addendum to the other comments, with which i agree wholeheartedly.

When signing up for any new service, whether it be a forum or requesting information I always use one of the free email (Google's gmail or MS's hotmail) accounts if asked to supply and email address. That way any mail arriving on the account can be easily kept seperately and scrutinised before responding. If I later decide to have a long term relationship with the site I can then change my email address to the one I normally use.

It is also worthwhile setting your email program to only accept email from people in your contact/address book. That way any unsolicited mail will always be put into your junk mail folder not your inbox. This in itself should then act as a warning no matter how official something may appear.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2009 4:05 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

sms but I'm old & I forget.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2009 9:26 PM by sms0611 Star rating in Fuengirola. 21 posts Send private message

More,

Whilst age may be an excuse for many of our pecadilos, i too am no spring chicken, it is unfortunately the fact that many of our more senior citizens are the specific targets of criminals on the web.

I behoves people like me, who have been a part of the IT revolution almost since its inception, to aid, assist and advise those who do not posess the knowledge and experience that I have, to allow them to use the internet in the most advantageous and above all safe way for their benefit and not for the benefit of those whom would prey upon them.

I am sorry to say that if you are incapable of taking even the most simple and basic of precautions whilst using the net then perhaps you may well be better off not using it at all.

The internet is not a toy, to be played with as and when it suits you, it is, more or less, an open door to the whole of the outside world to come and pay you a visit.

As you would. no doubt, extend invitations to visit only to known and trusted individuals, and open your front door only to a trusted face, so must you approach your use of the internet.

Your email, forum, blog and similar activities are your front door in the digital world. Treat them as you would that heavy, locked, barred and alarmed entrance to your home.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2009 11:02 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I am sorry to say that if you are incapable of taking even the most simple and basic of precautions whilst using the net then perhaps you may well be better off not using it at all.

There's a few on here who would say the same, sms.  I live & learn, like most of us. You'd be surprised how many people we know who bank online yet don't even have a virus checker such as the AVG free edition, now THAT is foolhardy. Anyway, I'm off, goodnight.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Advice needed on house purchase - 6 posts
Hand Luggage on Easy jet Flight to Gibraltar - 10 posts
Glass Engraving - 0 posts
Iberdrola white meter? - 8 posts
Playing the lottery in Spain? - 8 posts
Car Hire - Recommendations Please - 11 posts
Sat Navs: which one to choose that has a good sized screen & covers Europe & UK ?? - 20 posts
Best way to finance a purchase - 2 posts
Sofa available to take away - 0 posts
Autonomo /Administrator Problem - 3 posts
RYANAIR WINTER FLIGHTS - 2 posts
Telephone Police reports in English - 2 posts
La Marina Pueblo - is it possible to hire car for 2 days only? - 1 posts
BA suspending route from Gatwick to Malaga - 1 posts
Spain uncut DVD'S paid for but not delivered? - 2 posts
Easyjet - Flights released to June 2010 - 19 posts
Airport pick-up - 10 posts
COFFEE TABLE FOR 50 EUROS WENGUE COLOUR - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
BABY BATH FOR SALE - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
2 SEATER SOFA - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
BABY CAR SEAT FOR SALE - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
SELLING BRAND NEW BABY CAR SEAT - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
SPANISH LESSONS FOR FOREIGNERS - 0 posts
What happened in Manilva - 57 posts
WANTED - BABY'S CAR SEAT - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x