That Recipe

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 May 2009 12:00 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi All

Does anyone have the recipe for the ali oli spread that they serve in the restaurants on the french bread????

The closest we have got is the spread in a tub at the mercadonna, which is nice, but that is a more buttery type.

The stuff they serve in restaurants is thicker and almost mashed potato looking stuff.  Anyone out there know how to make it???

If not maybe Justin could ask the resident chef    

Like 0      
15 May 2009 10:29 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Go to Consum.  They have an a tub called allioli that is to die for!!!  Ingredients on the pack says:

Olive Oil, Garlic and pasteurised eggs with no preservative or colourants...that's it.  73 cents a big tub (30 cents a small one).  We brought back several tubs and have just dipped some crackers in them...yummy!

SWMBO loves making these dips.  Up until now she has concentrated on Tashi sauce (a dip in Greece using sesame seed paste, garlic, lemon etc) and Tsatsiki (another dip from Greece using yoghurt, cucumber and coriander) so she had a go a aoli using the following:

3 free-range egg yolks
4 cloves garlic
½ lemon, juice only
salt and freshly ground black pepper
150ml/5fl oz extra virgin olive oil

She made it like this:

Blend all ingredients, except the olive oil, in a food processor. Pour the oil into the blender in a steady stream, until it forms a thick sauce. The mixture, once blended, should be vibrant and yellow in colour. To vary the flavour, add a little mustard or some saffron. .

Looks nice but she says we have to wait until tomorrow until it "festers".

Enjoy/

S

Like 0      
15 May 2009 10:44 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Bob

Thanks for that

I have tried the one in the yellow tub and the green tub which has herbs and is yummy and we always bring some back for the kids or they go mad (well we do book them in to Ely homes when we are away LOL)

I will try your recipe and consum, but this white stuff we had was something else and I can't think what it is that gives it that colour and thickness and it's driving me mad. I will get cracking tomorrow on your recipe and let you know how it goes. Thanks again O wise one

Like 0      
15 May 2009 10:58 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

A quick way is to get mayonnaise and crush garlic into it. Leave overnight to let the flavour seep through. Yum! And great on grilled Salmon

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 May 2009 11:04 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

It's SWMBO that is the wise one.  Mind you, I have a recipe for spare ribs that will blow your socks off, if I do say so myself.  My son-in-law brings his mates round for miles around just to try them.

Oh, OK, then, if you insist.

First, spare ribs.  Pork, of course, and make sure the fat has been trimmed to the minimum.

Boil the ribs first (to tenderise them) for around 20 to 30 minutes until the meat is starting to separate from the bone.  If you have an electric frying pan (they come out best in these) put in 100 grams of butter and 100 grams of brown sugar.  Mix until combined.  Fry the ribs in the caramelised mixture until brown.  Add one whole, chopped, onion and caramelise them.  Add 3 cloves of crushed garlic.  Add 50grams of tomato puree and spread over the ribs.

3 tablespoons of soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar.  Add to the mixture in the pan (change the ratio of soy sauce to vinegar according to taste, we like the 3 to 2 ratio but don't overdo the vinegar)

1 heaped teaspoon of mustard powder and 1 teaspoon of oregano.  Mix everything around.

Put the electric fry pan on low setting (1) for about 1 and half hours. Baste several times during cooking).  Serve with rice or noodles or salad or (even) chips.

If you haven't got an electric frying pan, stick it all in a casserole dish and cook on medium (150c) for 1 and half hours.

Delish, honest.

Like 0      
16 May 2009 11:00 AM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Ely homes Gina !  Now that is a thought............do you have to book for the kids in advance??

Jane

Like 0      
17 May 2009 1:27 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Thanks all

I will try them out.

Bob, the ribs sounds lush

I remembered I had the stuff I was talking about in a Greek restaurant once which was very similar so had a google. This is what I found so will try them all out. The second recipe might be it as I said it was like a mashed potato sort of mix.

Do I need to get a life?

INGREDIENTS

• 1garlic
  • 1/2 kg breadcrumb
  • olive Oil
  • vinegar
METHOD

Wet the breadcrumbs in the water and then drain them well. Clean and crush garlic in a mortar or using a fork. Mix the drained breadcrumbs with the garlic. Stir well the mixture with a mixer until a smooth paste is obtained. Add olive oil and and vinegar gradually while stiring the mixture

INGREDIENTS

• 3 tablespoons minced garlic.
  • 3 or 4 boiled potatoes, mashed. (or 6 slices white bread, crusts removed, soaked in 1/2 cup cold water and squeezed dry.)
  • 1 cup olive oil.
  • 1/3 cup white wine vinegar.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
METHOD

(Hand method)

Combine garlic with mashed potatoes or bread in a mortar. Blend to form a soft paste. Add olive oil and vinegar alternately in very small amounts, stirring briskly. Add salt and pepper. Continue to whisk until sauce is thick.

(Blender or food processor method)

Place garlic and potatoes or bread in bowl and blend. Add olive oil and vinegar and continue to blend. If too thick, add 1/4 cup cold water. Add salt and pepper. Blend until creamy and thick.

And Jane, don't tell me you were never threatened with Ely "omes when you were naughty?

This message was last edited by Candyfloss on 17/05/2009.

This message was last edited by Candyfloss on 17/05/2009.

Like 0      
29 May 2009 4:48 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

******STOP PRESS******STOP PRESS*****ALLIOLI AT MORRISONS******STOP PRESS*****STOP PRESS************

The allioli I mentioned (available from Consum) is available at Morrisons in UK.  Same brand, slightly more expensive at 99p a tub (as opposed to 73 cents in Consum) but there it was, on the same shelf as the cream and dips.

Save a few bob on the air fare to stock up.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2009 11:35 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi All

Bumped up the old alliolli thread to add to the last one.

I did try the mashed potato one and it was lovely. I do love the allioli in the tubs too, but just had to find the one I started on about in the first place . Think I must have AOCD

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

car hire - 4 posts
Camposol Golf, Mazarron - 9 posts
Advertising - 0 posts
Has anyone bought on this new development - 0 posts
One-Way van rental without paying it! YOU DRIVE UK-SPAIN AND I DRIVE SPAIN-UK under shared rental agreement - 27 posts
furniture for sale - 0 posts
VILLAS IN ALMERIA - 1 posts
Shar-pai Dog - 0 posts
Travelling to Morocco and Rhonda! - 9 posts
Cheap Flights - 6 posts
Cheap Flights - 0 posts
CNN to film property problems in Spain - 5 posts
WORKING IN SPAIN FOR A BRITISH COMPANY - 5 posts
Calling an Extraordinary Meeting - 2 posts
The builder's creditor has put a claim on my property - 1 posts
CAR FOR SALE EL RASO AREA - 0 posts
Episode 57 - 2 posts
Difficulty with mortgage and need to rent - 2 posts
Renting Mortgaged Property - 2 posts
Private messages - 2 posts
Murcia car hire - update. - 51 posts
alicante airport transfer to villamatin-july - 3 posts
Sofa Bed For Sale - 3 posts
IS MY POA STILL VALID?? - 1 posts
Picture Framer - San Javier area - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x