Calling an Extraordinary Meeting

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 May 2009 12:00 AM by leeabby Star rating in Old Kilpatrick, Glas.... 140 posts Send private message

leeabby´s avatar

Could anyone let me know what the rules etc are in order to call an extraordinary meeting?  Our meeting is set for I think October 2009 when all that will be in the apartment block are a few of the permanant residents.  There are approx 6 or 7 families (I know that's not a lot, but I think there will be more) that wish to thrash out rules etc and we will all be there in July, as will many other owners and wish to have the meeting then.  We have been told by our vice-president (her instructions from the administrators) that we cannot just call a meeting when we want.  Our vice president has agreed to sit and discuss all points with us, but we feel this is not good enough.  What can we do??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Like 0      
14 May 2009 7:30 PM by deniseatnycs Star rating in Sol Golf Nr Villamar.... 136 posts Send private message

deniseatnycs´s avatar

Hi Leeabby

On reading your post the first thing that spring to (my) mind is where is your President  and why are you taking advice etc, from the VIce President although I must admit this is better than no advice at all.

The President is the only person who can call an E.G.M.  A group of other owners  may also call an E.G.M. if there are sufficient owners (25%) of you to do this.

You may find that the meeting is in October as it is an A.G.M. and your Community was formed in October this should be easy to check with the President or Vice President.

The date of the next A.G.M. needs to be an item on the agenda of your current A.G.M. and voted on by the whole of the Community (those entiltled to vote) Speaking with experience you will never find a date to suit every owner.  Many who have holiday homes and let them out do not come in the summer months as this is their prime letting time.  Others cannot come in the school holidays as the flights are too expensive, some can only come in the school holidays as they have children or/and work in schools or colleges.  We have always had our A.G.M.s in December and for the last two years a group of owners has wanted this changed.  The only fair way, as President (with the backing of the Committee)  I could think to do this was to hold a poll asking each owner their preference.  Over 85% of owners did not care when, or even if it was held!  From the remaining 15% it was just about neck and neck to leave it as it was in December or move it September.  On the strength of 2 votes from owners we now have an A.G.M. in September but eight very unhappy owners who have been to the previous five A.G.M.´s and now cannot attend.  I and the Vice President did not mind any date because we are here all year round so we were of little help in the matter.

One last thought, the Administrator works and is paid by you and the other owners can you contact them and discuss your thoughts/fears?

Like 0      
16 May 2009 11:39 AM by vistaverde Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Good luck to you.......

I did once and found the info in the HPL quite specific.

It depends on having the administrator on your side - which he really should be!

Our administrator refused to cooperate so we had to do all the work ourselves without the official address list (the call should go out on paper/post and not only by email).

You need 25% of the community to support the meeting - a petition etc is fine. We attached the petition to the official meeting call.

I am told that I am one of the very few non-Spanish people to call an EGM by petition - but you do need someone with community legal knowledge on your side. The process was both interesting and somewhat high tension but well worth it.

Although we obtained a good majority on the single item of removing the president we declared the decision a draw and so the president  was given a clear indication of the mood of the community. He was defeated at the next AGM.

My real message is not to be put off by the doubters and lack of official support. It is your right as a group of owners to question matters within the community and that should be the first rule you clarify and enforce.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

The builder's creditor has put a claim on my property - 1 posts
CAR FOR SALE EL RASO AREA - 0 posts
Episode 57 - 2 posts
Difficulty with mortgage and need to rent - 2 posts
Renting Mortgaged Property - 2 posts
Private messages - 2 posts
Murcia car hire - update. - 51 posts
alicante airport transfer to villamatin-july - 3 posts
Sofa Bed For Sale - 3 posts
IS MY POA STILL VALID?? - 1 posts
Picture Framer - San Javier area - 3 posts
Who can tell me about.... - 4 posts
Fortuna Investment Recovery Group - 0 posts
Who has tried - 8 posts
Book Writing - 4 posts
2/3 bed to rent in Fuengirola - 0 posts
Ford Focus year 2000. - 0 posts
Truck space available Spain to Holland + return. Early June. - 0 posts
Notary Power - 1 posts
Birthday party for EOS - 23 posts
Costa Blanca Driving Warning - 3 posts
window cleaning villamartin area - 5 posts
Car Hire Malaga Airport - 0 posts
New EOS Superstar - 7 posts
octobre or november? - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x