WORKING IN SPAIN FOR A BRITISH COMPANY

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 May 2009 12:00 AM by mrs d Star rating in Northern Ireland bu.... 17 posts Send private message

mrs d´s avatar

Hi

We are moving to Spain in August and my employer has generously let me keep my job and work from home when we move to Spain.They will be paying my wages and transferring them over to my spanish bank account but I am wondering am I liable to pay income tax for this in Spain?

Like 0      
14 May 2009 7:54 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not if you already have paid tax in the UK. But you need to work out where it will be most beneficial for you to be fiscally resident. Will you be effectively self employed? You need to also think about healthcare issues - if you are not contributing to the Spanish Social Security system, you will not be eligible for National Health in Spain, and will need private cover.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 May 2009 8:15 PM by mrs d Star rating in Northern Ireland bu.... 17 posts Send private message

mrs d´s avatar

Hi I wont be self employed and my company are going to provide me and my family with private cover as I currently am with Bupa through them. I just wanted to make sure that on down the line they couldnt chase me up for something I was unaware of at the start of my move.

Like 0      
14 May 2009 10:48 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Assuming therefore that income tax will be decucted in UK, you won't be liable in Spain due to the double taxation treaty.

Live in Spain, work from home for a British company, get free private health care.............apart from the crap exchange rate, it sounds like you've got the perfect arrangement. Best of luck to you.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 May 2009 9:22 AM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Mrs d - Roberto is correct re the double taxation, other things you may wish to consider;

a) your uk company pays wages into your UK account you then transfer via Moneycorp or similar yourself?-likely to get a far better deal

b) regardless of you being employed there are many things you can still claim for hence getting a monetry return each year-this applies in the UK not just because you are based abroad.

The merits of assuming residency really need to be discussed in far greater detail.

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
15 May 2009 10:16 AM by delza Star rating. 77 posts Send private message

According to the Customs & Excise website PDF concerning the double taxation law between the UK & Spain it only seems valid for interest on savings or dividends and NOT income from a job?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/dtdigest.pdf

This message was last edited by delza on 15/05/2009.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Calling an Extraordinary Meeting - 2 posts
The builder's creditor has put a claim on my property - 1 posts
CAR FOR SALE EL RASO AREA - 0 posts
Episode 57 - 2 posts
Difficulty with mortgage and need to rent - 2 posts
Renting Mortgaged Property - 2 posts
Private messages - 2 posts
Murcia car hire - update. - 51 posts
alicante airport transfer to villamatin-july - 3 posts
Sofa Bed For Sale - 3 posts
IS MY POA STILL VALID?? - 1 posts
Picture Framer - San Javier area - 3 posts
Who can tell me about.... - 4 posts
Fortuna Investment Recovery Group - 0 posts
Who has tried - 8 posts
Book Writing - 4 posts
2/3 bed to rent in Fuengirola - 0 posts
Ford Focus year 2000. - 0 posts
Truck space available Spain to Holland + return. Early June. - 0 posts
Notary Power - 1 posts
Birthday party for EOS - 23 posts
Costa Blanca Driving Warning - 3 posts
window cleaning villamartin area - 5 posts
Car Hire Malaga Airport - 0 posts
New EOS Superstar - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x