rentals

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 May 2009 12:00 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

Way off the usual discussions, but I'm wondering if anyone else having problems with Vista? I recently bought a new laptop and while Vista itself is running ok (Office is totally and completely different) I'm having loads of problems connecting to the internet.

There were some problems with our internet connection (since solved) but the connection problem with Vista are  still continuing.

Problem is that it connects for a while than it flakes out completely, than it's back online again, only to give out after a few hours or minutes. I know it's a Vista problem because if I move the cable over to my older XP laptop everything works fine.

Edit: a quick google search and it turns that it's a huge problem, tons of people having problems getting Vista to connect to the internet.

This message was last edited by Rob in Madrid on 05/05/2009.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
05 May 2009 12:40 PM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

Hi Rob

I take my laptop all over running on vista no problems at all, but occasionally when visiting previous wi-fi hotspots I after refresh & enter password again!

Like 0      
05 May 2009 3:49 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hi Rob,

Try running the Windows Upgrade tool.

I had the same problem with my Latop until I installed the upgrade for the RealTek LAN deivce.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
05 May 2009 4:02 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I had problems for a while with Vista on my laptop, but only connecting wirelessly. Even with a strong signal, the connection would drop, only to re connect a few minutes later. I see you are conecting with a cable though, is that a LAN cable? In which case, it may be a different problem. I have had many updates recently, so don't know if that has solved my problems as I haven't experienced them for a few weeks now.

Mark

Like 0      
05 May 2009 6:14 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Firstly a government health warning-when it comes to computers there is more chance of me going to the garden shed and building a nasa rocket out of spare parts than understanding any technical jargon!

That said I had to change both laptop and pc and went from windows xp to vista-one problem which constantly seems to crop up is

if you are sending a word document to soemone whose own pc operating system is over 2 years old it will no topen the simple word doc-they need the fix not you and there is a free microsoft download available -if need pm me and i wil dig it out.

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
06 May 2009 8:00 AM by ayobnyrnep Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

My new laptop came with Vista installed so I thought I would play with it for a week or two before transferring files from my old computer. For me, I couldn't see a single advantage in Vista over XP and others I discussed it with were of the same opinion. Fortunately, the new laptop, a Sony, had a downgrade option to allow me to replace Vista with XP. All works fine, at least it does inasmuch as Windows ever "works fine!" Just wish I had the nerve, time and sufficient interest to try linux!

Like 0      
06 May 2009 8:11 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

I've recently had a new HP laptop. Vista installed. No problems whatsoever. It is extremely fast connecting to the internet. It does not like EOS at the moment though. Keeps warning me it is an unsafe sight with 64 viruses. That is more down to Norton 360 , I think!

Like 0      
06 May 2009 8:17 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi ayobnyrnep,

After endless problems with Vista on my home laptop and on my work machine, I´ve made the decision to move to Ubuntu Linux on my laptop.  Unfortunately I´m stuck with Vista at work.  Ubuntu is supposed to be very user friendly.  You can actually try it before doing a full install, by running it from the CD.

Here´s the URL if you´re interested.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Cheers

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
06 May 2009 9:22 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

I had heard all the wornings re vista but after mu computer upgraded (or whatever it is they do!) I have Vista. Took some getting used to mainly on explorer, but Im totally ok with it now.

Cant say ive had any problems at all.

Cant wait for the touch screen computers like they have on CSI to come out though!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
06 May 2009 9:38 AM by ayobnyrnep Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Many thanks Sanchez1. I'm downloading Ubuntu now and will give it a try. I've developed a pathological hatred of all things Microsoft over the years so the Ubuntu/OpenOffice route seems like a gift from heaven!

Like 0      
06 May 2009 10:16 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We have a Dell PC & Dell laptop both with Windows XP. We would like a new laptop & favour Dell but keep putting off buying after hearing friends go on so much about how they hate Vista & how they're always having fun & games. My husband gets regular emails from Gizmo that have a help forum & he says he's found a lot of advice on there.

Like 0      
06 May 2009 11:19 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Rixxy, touch-screens are already out!  Check out HP, and I think other manufacturers are doing them too!

Like 0      
06 May 2009 11:37 AM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Pitby

wrong thread I know but I didnt see the point in resurrecting the older one-your directions to the hotel in Torremolinas were spot on-got to the last bit and low and behold hotel bang in front of me-and where it was located would have meant me driving around forever and a day.

many thanks

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
06 May 2009 12:04 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Advisor, I think that was Roberto who gave you directions to Torremolinos!  Glad you found it though!

Like 0      
06 May 2009 9:54 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

Ok it's gotten even stranger, Vista runs fine on a short LAN cable (just called Telefoncia and upgraded to wifi or Wee Fee as the Spanish call it) but it won't run on the long cable. To keep things neat I ran two LAN cables to the office. So I use the new computer in the TV room and the old XP in the office.

Once I get the WiFi router set up I'll give wireless a try.

Like 0      
10 May 2009 6:12 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

UPDATE: wifi works great. Away for the weekend and I brought my computer along so I could watch stuff while traveling so on a whim I tried the Wifi and it works no problem. so since I ordered a wifi from telefoncia (one time cost 70€) once I got it set up that should solve the problem.

yeah!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Make sure you get all your appliance guarantees - 0 posts
Collecting Certificate of Habitation from Town Hall - 1 posts
Does a bank guarantee allow us to successfully reclaim back the deposit we've paid? - 6 posts
KIDS QUAD BIKE FOR SALE - 0 posts
Want to swap Costa de la Luz apartment for property in South West UK - 1 posts
Tooway, The way Forward - 0 posts
We have not signed our contract. Is it still legal ? - 12 posts
It's back..... Part 2 - 9 posts
small claims court - 4 posts
small claims court - 3 posts
Royal Doulton Dinner Service - 5 posts
Hi everyone, yet another newbie in deep doo-doo - 20 posts
Forum Help - 10 posts
driving on someones insurance - 0 posts
Decisions, decisions - 3 posts
Community Pools - 3 posts
Lawyer not providing final costings after completion. - 3 posts
It's BACK.......... - 20 posts
Builders Water Supply - 0 posts
Great 2bed 2,5 bath large apartment to rent in Casares - 0 posts
Form 214 vs 210 - 0 posts
Comunidad through EOS - 1 posts
buying beds - 2 posts
Now for the good part!!!! - 7 posts
10-year new-build guarantee (not!) - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x