British women are the fattest in Europe

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by pepino Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

There was an item on BBC news this morning where the travel correspondent for the Independent newspaper was commenting that it was a real possibility that RyanAir could introduce a provision that people who could not sit in a standard seat without encroaching on the seat next to them would be required to pay for two seats.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-may-charge-a-fat-taxrsquo-for-its-overweight-passengers-1672979.html

But interestingly, he said that, on the body mass index (weight divided by the square of height) British women are the fattest in Europe. British men are the third fattest behind Greece and Finland.

Like 0      
24 Apr 2009 12:19 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I have to admit that when I go back to the UK I can sometimes fit in two sizes smaller than in Spain. I don't see many obese British women. Yes, many look a "healthy" size but they do tend to be larger framed than Southern European women so they can carry more weight i.e they have broader shoulders, bigger feet so they will weigh more.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
15 May 2009 8:39 AM by deniababe Star rating in Herefordshire & Deni.... 9 posts Send private message

The BMI thing seems crazy - my husband would be in the overweight catergory yet its fitter than a good many and works an average 18hr day - farming - walks miles in the day but his bmi wuld be around the 30 mark - he doesn't overspill in to his nieghbours seat on the airplane - just his elbow into mine! At what BMI level do you think Ryanair would charge at? There are a good many relativity fit people with a BMI of 30!

Like 0      
15 May 2009 9:13 AM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

we have been aware of bmi for many years due to the insuring of clients and sadly it is not an exact science for example the "myth" about some people being heavy boned is true.

It also doesnt account for atheletes as muscle weighs more than fat.

Ws in Italy recently and cant agree about British women being fattest in Europe!

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
15 May 2009 9:25 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Justin is a good example, I dread to think what his BMI is but he anyone who has ever seen him will agree that he doesn't look obese just big boned

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cot Wanted - 0 posts
Have a look at this, just click on the airport & check flights, ingenious. - 0 posts
murica airport help please - 3 posts
Our AGM is June 1st: How do I go about 'suggesting' we have a new President ? - 8 posts
MUSTANG GT FOR SALE - 0 posts
Murcia Nightlife - 3 posts
Alcaucin - Illegal land development - 0 posts
What's for dinner tonight? - 3 posts
Free Beer - FREE car derived van (prefect runner) or it's being SCRAPPED :( - 2 posts
getting a Sky account via UK.......... - 20 posts
Mobile Internet (without contract) - 11 posts
Hi From Lisa Grant - Spectrum FM - 105.5fm - i am looking for interviewees ( think that 's how you spell it lol ) - 9 posts
Extension of UK furnished holiday lettings rules to EEA until 2010 - 4 posts
Andalucia in the Spanish Finals!! - 2 posts
Happy St Georges Day!!! - 8 posts
Saint George Feast in Spain - 8 posts
Difficulties with mortgage - 9 posts
SECOND.COMHAND CAR - 0 posts
Removals,, need - 0 posts
Development declared illegal - 3 posts
Unanswered questions re move to Spain - 6 posts
Alistar has stitched us up like a kipper!! - 14 posts
residencia - 0 posts
Handing in the keys - 1 posts
I am writing this out of sheer frustration...... - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x