Can you ditich your Landline?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

Was talking with my sister in law today and usually she's way behind the curve on anything techy, email cell phones etc. But we got an email from her the other day saying that they as a family ditched thier landline. Everyone now has thier own cell phone. More importantly she was able to move her landline number (in use for over 20 years) to her cell. More importantly for my Sister in law is she found running her business having an Iphone has been a godsend, no longer taking 2 weeks to respond to email or voice mails etc. For us it means we can reach her anywhere anyplace.

From everything I've read in Europe you can't really ditch your landline becuase calls from mobliles are too expensive. And in Spain the only way to get internet is to have a telefonica landline.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2009 6:07 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

Not quit true Rob, if you live in the city or town then Telefonica may be the only way to get internet.

We live in the campo, too far from the exchange to get ISDN but we do have a Telefonica line, we don't use the main phone that much as we find Skype to be very cheap and reliable about £30 per year for unlimited to most of Europe. I suppose we should get rid of the Telefonica line now.

Being a bit of a techno freak I have managed to get the pc connected to the main phones so we use Skype now like any normal phone, we even have a UK local phone number with the Skype package so friends and family can call us cheaply too.

For Internet we use Rural Internet which is a wireless network and is mostly reliable and not too expensive, the price for the internet and Skype would be about the same a normal calling and internet with Telefonica or a little cheaper.

Regards

Like 0      
23 Mar 2009 6:16 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

You can use operators such as Ya.com and get your line and adsl through them without paying anything to Telefónica. 3Mb adsl and unlimited national calls for €29,95 per month, with a promotional price for the first two months, free wifi router and phone etc.etc. Can't vouch for their reliability and service etc. but it seems like a good deal. Of course, if Telefónica's lines go down, it will still affect Ya customers, because they still use the same infrastructure, and you'll be the lowest priorty......

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Mar 2009 3:53 PM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto,

Has ya.com got an english site? Thanks.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2009 6:13 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

No. Maybe they have English speaking customer service reps? - try 902 901 444.

I see Ya are part of France Telecom España, who are also responsible for Orange, of whom I've heard some pretty negative comments. A neighbour of mine has just switched to Ya adsl - I will monitor closely how he gets on with them and report any findings. For now, I'm sticking with the Devil I know (Telefónica)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Jun 2009 7:54 AM by poohbear Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi there - If you go onto a wireless dongle for your internet connection and have a cheap mobile phone provider, you don´t need a landline at all.  Our company always check the signal in your area so the connection is guaranteed before you order.  Everything is in English as well ! Call me on 644150724 for further details.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How to register with a dotor. - 5 posts
Can anyone recomment a good reliable plumber - 4 posts
BG and The Lawyers Responsibility - 72 posts
King size mattress For Sale - 0 posts
anyone got money back from mirador or palmera yet - 12 posts
Community Statutes & Management Contract - 2 posts
“Obra Nueva” (End of Building work document) - 3 posts
learning Spanish - 1 posts
empadron in Coin - 0 posts
Coin Foreigners Department - 0 posts
Blues in Spain - 4 posts
We're going to be LIVE from Calahonda tomorrow - 9 posts
IMM2001 ( International Marketing Management 2001 ) - 0 posts
30' Motor Cruiser with Mooring - 0 posts
AVG ANTI VIRUS PROTECTION - 12 posts
Samsung F480 TOCCO Mobile Phone - Brand New - 0 posts
Year 2000 Hyundai Car 995€ or Swap Large Van - 0 posts
Would anyone be interested....? - 22 posts
"Living next door to Alice" - 1 posts
Lots of questions about electricity connection/contracts/meters etc !! - 2 posts
Will Atlético move to Estadio La Peineta? - 1 posts
Newbie - 2 posts
what is the difference between potentially and realistically - 1 posts
Sea fishing - 8 posts
Merienda - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x