Vehicle registration & Driving Licence - what to do?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar

I am planning to drive over in January and should no longer have a UK address. Is my best policy to export the car and register it in Spain or use a British address to leave it UK registered. My intention is not to return permanenentl and to buy a new spanish car in the first 3-6 months - hopefully using my British car for some kind of trade-in.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2008 10:27 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hi scampi

Wouldn't it be easier to just sell your car before moving here?  You won't get much for it when selling a RHD car in Spain.

Registering the car in Spain isn't particularly cheap. 

I think that if you sold your car in Spain you will get less for it than if you sold it in the UK and transferring it to a Spanish reg isn't cheap either.  So the money you save you can use to get your stuff transported to Spain and then just buy something when you get here.

Much easier in my opinion

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
24 Nov 2008 11:01 AM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar

I see your point of course - but because of the location of my house I need a car from day 1 - and hirecar costs quickly add up. I want to buy a new car in Spain but hate the idea of being rushed into it. My curent thinking after all of the helpful comments is to leave my car registered in the Uk - and either p/e it for a new spanish car or drive it back and sell it in the UK. Given 2nd hand car values at the moment - any action is likely to be expensive!. It makes you wonder what the point of the EU is when something that should be so easy is made so complex and expensive!

Like 0      
24 Nov 2008 2:02 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Scampi - after considering all the options - and getting lots of good advice here on the forum - I decided to do what Justin advised.  I sold my car in the UK and hired a car here in Spain.  It only took about 3 weeks to get the car I wanted as I had done my homework in the UK and knew what I was looking for.  I made sure that the rental company would let me extend the car hire if required and this made all the difference.  I hadn't realised how expensive a new car was going to be, but otherwise it was really quite easy and I now have a lovely new Seat Leon which I am delighted with.

Best of luck!

Like 0      
24 Nov 2008 2:16 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

My friend runs a service which helps expats buy a new car in Spain.  Check out his site:

Personal car shopper

Probably worth chatting to him about your requirements and see what he advises anyway.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
24 Nov 2008 2:25 PM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar

Many thanks!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION! - 60 posts
Casa Delfine-Just off the CV91 near Orihuela - 2 posts
Christmas day lunch Marbella - 5 posts
Aifos´ bankruptcy. - 12 posts
Spanish Ecomony Blog for those interested in these things - 0 posts
Christmas Visitors - 0 posts
Plumber thinking of moving to Murcia region - needs a job!! - 3 posts
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow - 14 posts
MAINS WATER SUPPLY - 1 posts
Long term rental required - Costa Blanca - 1 posts
Roda Golf - Cancelling Contract - 1 posts
Best Banks for Deposits - 6 posts
Sending pallets to Condado de Alhama - 2 posts
Subject: Be Alert & Cautious / Must read!! - 10 posts
November 30th we are off ... Adios UK! - 48 posts
Problems paying your mortgage? - 7 posts
Ryanair £0 Edinburgh to Alicante - 0 posts
La Raset C/Bellavista Denia - 0 posts
Xmas is coming, anyone have any dates for what is happening in costa blanca, post here - 0 posts
Renault Express Combi For Sale... - 2 posts
Don’t let them fool you… Yet again! ... The case of “Costaluzlawyers DOT COM” - 1 posts
House insurance - 0 posts
wealth tax on property only owed for six months - 1 posts
Estate agents - 5 posts
Monte Cala, Costa Blanca Propery - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x